RentAToy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-12-2008, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you think?

http://www.rentatoy.com/

They have a few toys I've been wanting to buy but can't afford/don't want to add to clutter.

It seems so win/win... rotating toys, no building up of masses of clutter... any thoughts before I take the plunge? (I'll prob. cross post a few places hoping to catch a mama who uses this service, that can vouch for or against it)
#2 of 4 Old 12-12-2008, 11:58 PM

If you rent a train for a kid like mine, he may never be willing to give it up

I have done my toy shopping at (mostly) a few good thrift shops, toy store after-holiday clearance sales, online clearance sales, Tuesday Morning store, etc. We have gotten good stuff like BRIO at 10-50% of retail by looking in the right places, at the right time. Tuesday morning has wooden toys *even now*.
The travel etch-a-sketch, for example, goes for less than a dollar locally.

So finance wise, I am not seeing any benefit to the rent-a-toy. A wooden toy swap in your area might be another way to go. (you organize it!) Check the Target after-Christmas sale. If you go at just the right time wooden toys will be 75-90% off.

This does not address the environmental aspect, but I think local re-use and sharing is the way to go
#3 of 4 Old 12-31-2008, 07:31 PM

IMO its seems rather $$ to just 'borrow' toys. There is no way i would be able to keep track of the pcs, etc... it would not work for us.
#4 of 4 Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 PM

rentAtoy is a great idea! I've been a member for almost two months now. My kids, like most, play with their toys for maybe two weeks and then they never touch it again. Once in a while they do have a toy that they absolutely love. The cool thing about rentAtoy is that if my daughter loves one of the toys, we can keep it as long as we like. Most of the toys rentAtoy carries are ones that we can't afford, so this service allows us to get those higher end educational toys. I used to get my toys at places like Tuesday Morning and from friends, but then I have the problem of haveing to get rid of the toys when they are no longer being used. rentAtoy just makes it much easier and it doesn't leave us broke either. I give rentatoy.com a big thumbs up!

~Marie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page