Anyone doing a wrapping paper free holiday? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 09-26-2010, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sanguine_speed, I love your bags! I made something similar a couple of years ago for our advent calendar (24 bags).

Is anyone experienced in what sizes would work? (Yes, it depends on what you want to wrap - but even books come in different formats.)

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemfree View Post
We have just started using our playsilks to wrap gifts. I use two different colors on one package and they are really pretty!
We did this a few times too for birthdays. We used fabric remnants. We used Thomas the train fabric and doggie print fabric for the kids gifts. They loved it.
#33 of 53 Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Does anyone have a step-by-step instruction for drawstring bags or pouches? I can't seem to be able to figure out the hem / casing. It'll be my 2 youngest sons birthdays soon, so I thought I'd sew some gift bags to reuse.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#34 of 53 Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 PM

We've always had so much fun using the Trader Joe's brown paper bags. We'd cut them open and turn them inside out, and use rubber stamps (or potato stamps, or stencils) to create patterns on them. A great family activity. But this year we have been using the Trader Joe's reusable shopping bags, so we don't have that many of the brown paper ones any more. i love the idea someone had of using a towel as giftwrap! Or a dish towel, or even reusable cloth wipes that can get the recipient off of using paper towels. Hmm.

Another idea is if you have a recycling center where you are....we have one where you can get all kinds of paper goods for free ...or fabric and yarn and ribbon, for that matter. There are all sorts of old accounting ledgers & stuff like that, and that lined paper would make fun giftwrap. The sky's the limit.

I am always finding cool things to do with milk cartons (the half gallon kind)....I wonder if there's anything gifty to be done with them....(I mean, I know you can make wallets out of them so why not gift boxes....must give this some thought....)

This is my first time visiting this particular forum; I can see I'm going to like it here.
#35 of 53 Old 11-23-2010, 04:50 PM

I've got a bunch of fabric that I'm going to wrap the presents in.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#36 of 53 Old 11-23-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellieKatz View Post

I am always finding cool things to do with milk cartons (the half gallon kind)....I wonder if there's anything gifty to be done with them....(I mean, I know you can make wallets out of them so why not gift boxes....must give this some thought....)

This is my first time visiting this particular forum; I can see I'm going to like it here.

You can use milk cartons to "paste" graham crackers onto to make graham cracker houses. Paste the crackers on with frosting, and then start adding the decor. Makes a nice "frame" for the houses.

#37 of 53 Old 11-24-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post

I like to use blankets or towels to wrap gifts in. I also like to give gifts in the green shopping bags our local grocery store sells to be used instead of plastic bags.

Another cool thing about using the $.99 green grocery bags is that you can easily personalize them. Some thick cotton fabric, some fabric markers, a little coloring, and presto! Personalized grocery bag. I like this because I didn't dig giving a gift in a bag that so obviously just says the Safeway logo. So I glue a personal patch that we colored right over the logo. Probably a rude business practice, but hey...

TIP: Use fabric glue. DO NOT use iron-on binding, since the bags are made of recycled plastic. They will melt to your iron. Yuck.

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#38 of 53 Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 PM

yep!  Those are the bags that we make too!  We haven't used paper in years.  Most of our family is converted now too!  It's great and they look so cute under the tree and no big pile of trash afterward.  There's no going back!

Some friends of out gave us the idea.  They do gift bags for everyone, they're kids didn't even know about wrapping paper or what to do with it the first time someone gave them a paper-wrapped gift :lol

For their Santa presents they have all gold gift bags and Santa leaves them all wrapped up in a giant red velvet bag. 

#39 of 53 Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 PM

Here are the first of the Christmas presents. Now I just gotta finish my son's gift and make stuff for my husband, brother-in-law, and dad. smile.gif

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#40 of 53 Old 11-24-2010, 01:38 PM

DSC01965.JPG

Here's our paperless Christmas last year.  We also got these nesting boxes from Costco that we use and reuse.  There's a couple paper-wrapped presents from other people in the mix, but otherwise it's all reusable!

#41 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 PM

We've been paper free for 3 or 4 years now.  For my own family I don't wrap at all.  I take all their gifts out of any packaging, make sure everything that needs assembling is put together and set it all up under the tree.  I do hang gift tags off of the things meant for just one child as opposed to shared gifts.  The kids aren't any less excited Christmas morning.  It's just as much fun to take in everything under the tree and sort through it all.  They don't even notice the lack of wrappings.  I love it because there is no clean-up to do. biggrinbounce.gif

For my parents, we've been regifting the same gift bags (both cloth and paper) back and forth for about 10 years now.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#42 of 53 Old 12-01-2010, 03:30 AM

I did an all Cloth Bag Christmas one year. I got lots of Christmas Fabric (Wal-Mart $2 /yard) and made mutliple sized drawstring bags.

I really love wrapping presents with ribbon and everything - so for the past couple years we've gone back to paper (that I got on sale after Christmas - not that that helps with the waste of it all).

This year we're going to use cloth bags for gifts from us and to each other, but "Santa's" will be wrapped in paper.

For Birthday gifts this year we've been wrapping things in scarves, towels, or just tied with ribbon that become part of the gift.

Here's a picture of the cloth bags that I made http://www.storksavers.com/albumpics/Accessories/giftbags-setof3.JPG

Erin

lady.gifNatural, Dancing, Sewing WAHMommie to 3 beautiful girls reading.gif  Peace.gif wave.gif and an awesome step-son nut.gif
#43 of 53 Old 12-08-2010, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I'm seriously debating this, or at least some variation.  I've decided I'm doing family baskets for everyone other than the children from now on.  I'm actually going to be using the costco boxes we bring home anyway, painted or drawn on, etc, if I feel crafty enough.  Nobody in my clan really reuses the baskets so it's a waste to buy them so they can sit around and never get returned or used, kwim? 

But I have two small children and I'm debating whether going completely wrapping paper free is going to work or now.  Hmmmm.  I remember the joy of ripping the paper off a present.  Of course on the other hand, I HATE wrapping gifts.  This year I had my dd color plain packing paper, and was thinking of making a tradition of that.  I like the idea of holding onto some of the paper and watching the art evolve.  But I do also love the idea of thrift store pillowcases painted up for the holidays somehow, and so far dd isn't super impressed with opening gifts (she's just about to turn two, and my ds is going to be born on the 16th this year). 

What do mamas of little ones think? 

#44 of 53 Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 AM

My friends have done it since their kids were babies and they love it.  It's just a different thrill then ripping through paper.  I vividly remember the first time that their youngest had to open a present wrapped in paper, she was so confused lol.gif

I would go for it!  Better to start now and have a new generation of paperless presents then to get them attached to the nostalgia of unwrapping paper.

#45 of 53 Old 12-09-2010, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I suppose that's true, Toolip.  I'll have to be on the lookout for pillowcases this year!  And whatever neat fabric scraps I can find too.  I'm liking the idea of getting some things in solid colors and/or whites so the children can personalize them and they can be momentos.  Believe me, moving away from wrapping presents is all pro, it's just hard to feel as if I'm somehow cheaping my children of an experience as irrational as that may seem. 

#46 of 53 Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 PM

We do fabric bags for our kids and gifts for each other and for many of the gifts we give to friends and family. I pick up heavy white sheets when I see them in the thrift store and Christmas fabric when it is on sale and sew up a bunch every year so we have lots to give away.  We leave the bags under the tree when we are done and our magic elf comes and picks them up and takes them back to the North Pole to be used again next year.

This year if I get my act together we are going to paint thin balsa wood gift tags with chalkboard paint and do reuseable gift tags as well.  

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#47 of 53 Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM

I'd really like to not use any wrapping paper this year. I hate the waste.

So far I've been using cloth napkins to wrap small presents using a fold & tie method sometimes called Furoshiki. I've bought a couple 2-packs of pretty red & green napkins from Walmart for $2 each, and they will definitely be used around here long after Christmas. I also like to get Christmas-themed fat quarters for wrapping, but the napkins are nice because they're already hemmed.

I've made drawstring bags in the past, and really liked them. I also save and re-use paper gift bags year after year.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#48 of 53 Old 12-09-2010, 10:02 PM

I am!! I'm SO excited.  I bought some really pretty fabric and ribbon and got everything wrapped up nicely.  I am not using bags though.  I am using a mixture between traditional paper wrapping style with the fabric held together with ribbons and the japanese furoshiki Method.  I'm seriously LOVING it and I can't wait to see what my family thinks.

#49 of 53 Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 AM

We just use news paper...not very pretty though :)

#50 of 53 Old 12-22-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks so much for this post.  I've never known anyone to do this, but I love the idea.  Between the japanese wrapping link and the bag making...I think I'll know what I'll be making when I need a project to pull out next year!

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#51 of 53 Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 AM

This is probably totally rubbish for the inner Martha Stewarts in some, but all we do is reuse the paper from year to year.  When it gets worn out I burn it (I use masking tape for the wrapping which makes it easier).  All the paper is from gifts people gave to us, I just saved it up in the loft (attic).

Sometimes DH breaks down and buys some paper because he is worried what his mother might think if the wrapping paper looks used, but nobody else minds.

Ditto with ribbon and bows, just trim as needed and reuse.

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 15 and under. ~
#52 of 53 Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

This year I found a bunch more nesting boxes at a thrift store, plus I found tons of tin gift boxes. My kids are used to it. In fact when they went to Grandma's they were confused about what to do with the paper and bows.

#53 of 53 Old 01-04-2011, 04:37 PM

i found some wrapsacks on clearance....10 assorted sizes for $15.  I grabbed 4 sets.  I think its enough for most of the presents, but i also purchased some clearance holiday cloth that I plan on making into bags as well....just bought a new sewing machine, so this will be project #1 or #2.

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page