Anyone doing a wrapping paper free holiday? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 12-14-2008, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is my first attempt at this: It is pretty fun! I picked up a bunch of wrapsacks on ebay, and some locally... I found some big felt bags with holiday themes at Michaels craft store for $2.99 each.. I have wrapped SOME things in some Christmasy scarves I had floating around the house.. I picked up some bags at a thrift store that may have at one time been a toaster cover and a makeup kit.. and something from a liquor bottle?

Having fun so far, though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 53 Old 12-14-2008, 05:58 AM
mbm

I really like the art of wrapping presents but hate the waste of wrapping paper. Between DH and I, we mostly re-use gift bags that were given to us. Last year I sewed some simple drawstring bags out of Christmas fabric in the hopes that the recipients would re-use them.

The scarves are a fun idea!
#3 of 53 Old 12-14-2008, 10:28 AM

I'm making bags with drawstrings or to where I can tie them up with strips of fabric.
They are turning out really pretty! I had most of the material all ready but I did buy a few yards of some satin.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#4 of 53 Old 12-14-2008, 03:20 PM

I'm not going wrapping paper free, but I also made fabric bags for about 10 of the presents on my list. Besides that I have a close friend who started a tradition with me of finding an ironically funny newspaper article or flyer to wrap my stuff with that would have been put in the recycling anyway, so his two gifts are wrapped in "funny" flyers that probably only the two of us would get.

Take care,
El
#5 of 53 Old 12-14-2008, 03:26 PM

#6 of 53 Old 12-14-2008, 04:33 PM

usually we cut up paper bags and decorate them and use that as wrapping paper or we decorate newspaper but this year i am also making a few cloth bags which we will use all year long for toy storage. and any paper we use i will decorate in a way that i can still compost the paper after so at least it won't take up space in a landfill

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#7 of 53 Old 12-14-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
and any paper we use i will decorate in a way that i can still compost the paper after so at least it won't take up space in a landfill
I was in a MALL yesterday (rarely go to places like that esp THIS time of year), but there was a big sign by the escalators that said, if you turn in your boxes and wrapping paper at the mall (for recycling) between like Dec 26- Jan 7 or something, that you get free tickets to a Hockey game. I thought that was a pretty cool idea..

1) people are back in the mall supporting the economy
2) paper and boxes get recycled
3) people get to see a hockey game..

I thought it was pretty neat.

Anyone see anything like that around your neighborhoods?
#8 of 53 Old 12-15-2008, 04:39 PM

I like to use blankets or towels to wrap gifts in. I also like to give gifts in the green shopping bags our local grocery store sells to be used instead of plastic bags.
#9 of 53 Old 12-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
I was in a MALL yesterday (rarely go to places like that esp THIS time of year), but there was a big sign by the escalators that said, if you turn in your boxes and wrapping paper at the mall (for recycling) between like Dec 26- Jan 7 or something, that you get free tickets to a Hockey game.
COOL! Which mall? We're not going paper free.
#10 of 53 Old 12-18-2008, 12:34 AM

we are doing 12 days before solstice with a small gift each day. i just set it out in the morning before he wakes up.

for everyone else i just give them the jars of trail mix unwrapped, no one has complained so far

for dh bday i reused our birthday bag with a playsilk on top, always a winner!

eh. who needs a signature?
#11 of 53 Old 12-18-2008, 04:27 AM

I'm wrapping all the gifts in my kids' paintings. The colors are so vibrant; I love it. And, for all our relatives who live far away, it's a great way to stay connected.
#12 of 53 Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 AM

I wrap with paper bags. I started my wrapping the other night and took pics of each step so I could hypothetically (if I get around to it) do a tutorial-- IE for tips how to make it easy and get creative with it. Mainly for those that wouldn't have otherwise considered alternatives to wrapping paper. Anyway, my dd had a good time decorating the paper on her daddy's gift tonight. I think I will also use spare cheap-o yarn and crochet the "ribbon" to tie around the outside. In the past I've also used the scraps --paper bag handles-- to make a "bow".

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#13 of 53 Old 12-18-2008, 06:04 AM

I don't know if this technically counts as wrapping paper free, but we are going to wrap DD's presents in the comics, and regular newspaper after the comics run out. It's kind of a family tradition thing, really, at least the comics. Every year as far back as I can remember, my parents wrapped our presents in the comics. I think it was a ploy to keep us from opening them before we were supposed to, as we would come down to open them, get carried away reading them, and wake them up being loud. DH agreed to doing the comics thing, but since we haven't been buying the paper a lot, we are going to have to use some of the regular "boring" paper as well.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#14 of 53 Old 12-18-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
COOL! Which mall? We're not going paper free.
5th avenue mall- and it was an Aces game I think.
#15 of 53 Old 12-19-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdube View Post
I'm wrapping all the gifts in my kids' paintings. The colors are so vibrant; I love it. And, for all our relatives who live far away, it's a great way to stay connected.
We're sort of doing this. Dh is in construction so he brought home a ton of old blueprints and the kids decorated the other side with paint, glitter, stamps, stickers, etc. Some turned out better than others, but hey, it's original.

Mommy to kids

#16 of 53 Old 12-19-2008, 02:42 AM

We have picked up so many reusable shopping bags lately (we forget to take them in the store, then buy more...) that we're wrapping gifts for our immediately family in the extra bags. We're just going to tie on some name tags with recycled paper.

We're hoping that the family members who aren't using their own shopping bags might start using them - or at least use the one we give them, from time to time.

If we have more gifts than shopping bags...we usually just use gift bags other people have given us, and sometimes use the comic pages from the newspaper.
#17 of 53 Old 12-20-2008, 01:38 AM

We are using our current supply of gift wrap and have not purchased anymore. We reuse gift bags and decorative gift boxes as much as possible, so I am not sure when our rolls will run out. I plan to slowly add to our reusable stash as I phase out the paper altogether.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#18 of 53 Old 12-20-2008, 08:51 PM

Us. I've been making cloth bags that I tie with a fabric ribbon for a few years now. The best part is that some of my family members are reusing the cloth bags now so the effect is spreading!

Mom to (5) (9)
#19 of 53 Old 12-21-2008, 12:41 PM

I am just starting this year. We don't have a lot of gifts to buy, so it's not too difficult fortunately. At the end of the holidays last year I bought a ton of holiday fabric. I had other plans for it, but have decided to use it for gift wrapping. Some bags I've sewn together, some I have just folded up around the gift and tied. I will buy more fabric on sale at the end of this holiday too so I can keep doing this every year. I am going to start looking into all kinds of sale fabrics to do this for all other birthdays and holidays as well!:

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#20 of 53 Old 12-21-2008, 12:45 PM

Awesome thread!

I am glad there are others out there!

I rarely use wrapping paper (I think it's such an incredible waste...)

Sometimes I wrap, but usually I don't. This year will be wrap free!
#21 of 53 Old 12-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
We are using our current supply of gift wrap and have not purchased anymore. We reuse gift bags and decorative gift boxes as much as possible, so I am not sure when our rolls will run out. I plan to slowly add to our reusable stash as I phase out the paper altogether.
What she said. It's interesting, I've been trying to avoid disposable things for years now, but this is the very first year that wrapping paper has occurred to me as a good candidate for elimination!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#22 of 53 Old 12-21-2008, 04:27 PM

#23 of 53 Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM

I bought a bunch of pretty reusable bags at a craft fair this summer and then chose a gift for the nieces and nephews that doesn't fit. I might make more bags but I don't think I have time.
I have saved the funnies for the last two months from my office so I'll probably use those.
#24 of 53 Old 12-23-2008, 10:26 AM

im makinng some of those bags but last night i figured out something for the larger gifts...pillowcases!!!! stick large toy in, tie w a bow. of course this is only for my kids gifts, unless you are ook giving up the pillowcase. i do have lots of extras so i think im going to put some other gifts in pilllow cases and let the kids stamp them.
#25 of 53 Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 PM

I always want to go paper-free, but I never can seem to afford fabric on top of presents when the season comes around. I was so excited this year to find a whole box of fabric gift bags in various sizes at the Goodwill Outlet this year! I bought 20 for about $2. I am thrilled and can go about 90% paper-free this year. :
#26 of 53 Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 AM

I use special colored/decorated pillow cases from a thrift store for gifts. My daughter has been getting birthday presents in the same red w yellow daisies case since her1st bday--6 yrs ago. She loves it
#27 of 53 Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 AM

We have just started using our playsilks to wrap gifts. I use two different colors on one package and they are really pretty!

Knit natural toys for your kids! Shop Hedgehog Lane and check out the simple-to-knit patterns for sweet toys and gifts. Visit my blog- Duo Fiberworks- for a crafty conversation between me and my twin sister.
#28 of 53 Old 04-18-2009, 03:48 PM

After Christmas this last year, I bought a bunch of fabric on sale, and I'll be making gift bags throughout the year! I already have a bunch made. I'm looking forward to using them. I've also been making bags for other gifts as well. I have a bunch of little ones made that we'll use for the kiddos birthday parties. So far this year, we've only bought wrapping paper for one present which was a sort last minute - totally forgot about it deal. I think the bags look great! I am going to sew up a bunch of Christmas bags for our church auction in November - our church claims to have a serious "green" commitment, so...... We'll see if they go or not! :
#29 of 53 Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I thought I would bump this threas. We too are going to go paper-free this year. I looked on line and there were so many ideas. Since it will be at our home, I'll invite our family to take the bags if they think they will use them or leave them if they won't. They'll probably leave them. And hee hee I'll probably subcontract the sewing to my niece.
#30 of 53 Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We use paper but it's something of a tradition in my family that presents are opened carefully and the paper reused. Searching through the box for the right sized piece of paper was part of the fun growing up.

I have used fabric to wrap presents for my own kids but presents to people outside our household are usually wrapped in paper.

Last year I made these newspaper baskets, and filled them with home baking for the great grandparents. They all loved them.

Several of DHs presents got wrapped in socks, it started as a bit of a joke as I usually buy everyone some fun socks and I thought I could use them as a bow. In the end I stuffed them with all the little bits and bobs. I think I may use this trick again, it seems like it would be good for the little things in the kids stockings.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page