What do I do with these plastic zipper bags - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do with the heavy plastic zippered bags that come with things like new blankets or often larger baby products like the tummy time playmats etc? I have accumulated quite a few over the years thinking I would do something with them but never have. I really dont want to throw them away, so I'm looking for ideas.
FYI I thought I would put other stuff in them that I need to store, but the fact of the matter is I keep things to a minimum so I don't have anything that needs to be stored: ie: winter clothes, extra blankets etc.
So I need some really creative ideas. They can be storage ideas, but of what? I just can't think of anything I can store in them. All other ideas welcome as well.
Or if anyone wants them I'd be happy to pack them in a box and send them your way!!
TIA!!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#2 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 06:35 PM

You could use them to store outgrown kids clothes, or out of season clothing. I've used the smaller ones as bags for toiletries when going a trip to the beach... I don't worry about sand getting in them so much. *shrug* That's about all I can think of. =)
#3 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 06:43 PM

they are also good to put in your diaper bag to store dirty dipes
#4 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 06:47 PM

I dunno, either. We use them to store stuff in, too or to pack clothes in for trips.

DS got one with his comforter for christmas and put his train tracks in it --his idea.

I do have a couple, empty, sitting on my top shelf bedroom closet. I'm not sure what I'm saving them for but definitely couldn't throw them out, yk?

If anything, can you recycle them?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 PM

I store yarn in mine....but I have a lot of yarn and a fear of moths. If you can't find a use, try freecycle or craigslist, someone might want them. The LYS (local yarn shop) will use them to package blanket or sweater kits.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#6 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 08:36 PM

I use them for yarn and fabric. I do a lot of patchwork projects and have lot's of little pieces of fabric. I have a bag for each colour family.

They are also good for kids toys that come with lot's of little pieces. Leggo or little people and such.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#7 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
If anything, can you recycle them?
They are almost always vinyl, which is not recyclable.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#8 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post
They are almost always vinyl, which is not recyclable.

ah, good to know.

I think the freecycle or offering them on craigslist is a great idea. I'm sure someone can find a use for them, if you don't need them for anything.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
small ones are good for things like knitting accessories in your knitting bag, or toiletries when travelling.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#10 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 PM

I had a few of them kicking around for a while until I decided to keep my quilt projects in them. They work much better then the big zip lock bags due to the squared off edges, nevermind the reusing factor! I've also got one that just has fabric scraps.

I like PPs' ideas for the beach, or travel cubes, or for dirty diapers. That last idea is going to come in handy for me very soon!

Maman to Mlle. C born 2/22/09, Due with #2 at the end of May 2013

#11 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 PM

Small ones we use for toiletries when traveling.

Others I use for keeping yarn, active knitting projects, or fiber for spinning. It keeps the cats and younger children out of them.

They always seem to get snatched up on FreeCycle around here, too, so you might just be able to pass them along to someone else who has a use for them.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#12 of 25 Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

All great suggestions ladies. I like the diaper one a lot! I don't have a travelling wetbag and need one. Thanks!

#13 of 25 Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been keeping the kids' stuffed animals in the larger ones and craft supplies in the smaller ones.

I'm loving all the other ideas.
#14 of 25 Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 PM

I use them to keep the flannel sheets from getting dusty all summer long (and then having to rewash them when it gets cold again). Pillows and sheets for the guest room. Nice clothes/shoes that only get worn on special occasions (just pack the whole outfit in there, hose and all). If you have animals, they're particularly good for storing anything you don't want covered in fur.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#15 of 25 Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

So I realized b/c of all your help that I did in fact have some blankets to put in one of the bags. I have a baby size quilt and couple of knit blankets that were given to me when I was pregnant. And I will not give them away, but I don't have any use for them since they are so small. So of course I will save them for the boys when they possibly have their own kids some day. So voila in the bag they went!
I also thought it was brilliant to use one as a diaper webag since I've never had a wetbag and somehow just made do without. So one small one when in the diaper bag!

I have a couple of more that I'm going to continue to hang on too. I'm sure they be usefull sometime. Thanks for all the suggestions!

#16 of 25 Old 01-15-2009, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I save mine, too. We'll likely be going to the beach at least a few times while our kids are young, so they'll come in handy for traveling with wet, sandy towels and clothes.

I also keep outgrown clothes in one, and when it's full, it'll go to Goodwill.
#17 of 25 Old 01-15-2009, 05:20 PM

I've used them for...

stuffed animals
toiletries while traveling
hair accessories
stuffed animals
off-season shoes, coats and sweaters
legos, other tiny toys
the cases for DVDs & CD's (which are all in a more space-saving binder)
#18 of 25 Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Thank you thank you! We just got a new king sized bed, so the pillows, sheets, duvet, duvet cover.....allllllllll came in one of those vinyl bags, and I had no idea what to do with them all! I just put them in my storage room and figured I'd think of something, now I'm off to repurpose them!
#19 of 25 Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 PM

I use them to store outgrown baby clothes that we might need to use in the future, winter clothes (we are in the desert and only need long-sleeved things MAYBE 2 months of the year), duplo blocks, stuffed animals, etc. Anything that needs to be stored, really!
#20 of 25 Old 01-16-2009, 01:39 PM

I use them to store just about everything because we have a dusty house and I hate it when things in boxes get dusty too. I use them to store sets of sheets - when I change the sheets on a bed, I just need to pull out one zippered bag and it has everything neatly folded - pillow cases, fitted sheet and flat sheet. Then I use that pocket they usually have to put in a recipe card with the size and contents.

I store the cloth diapers I'm not currently using in one, once again labeled with how many and what sizes. I also store unused blankets, yarn, fabric, individual sewing projects (complete with pattern, thread and other notions in individual bags). Shoes that I don't often wear get stored in individual bags as do winter boots in the summer and summer shoes in the winter.
They are also good for sleeping bags because sleeping bags shouldn't be stored compressed but I find they take up too much space on hangers in the closet. But a duvet sized zippered bag is just right to maintain the loft in the sleeping bags.
I also use them for horse blankets, the kids assortment of stuffed animals, extra pillows, off-season clothes and mitts hats and scarves...
I keep all our clothes that are rag-worthy in another, re-used tissue paper is in one, re-used gift bags are stored flat in another.
The uses are endless!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#21 of 25 Old 01-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Do you rotate your kids' toys? We get a lot of toys given to us and I rotate them to keep DS from getting overloaded. They'd be good for that.

Other than that, typical storage ideas like extra blankets, clothes, etc.

Or if you can't come up with anything you can always Freecycle or Craigslist them, I'm sure someone could use them.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#22 of 25 Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 PM

I store my off season bedding in them.
Winter sheets and down comforters go in them during the summer.
In the winter, I store the lightweight blankets in them.
#23 of 25 Old 01-18-2009, 04:11 PM

I used them to donate toys in because I didn't want to give away the bins or baskets they were in.
#24 of 25 Old 01-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Consignment stores love them (kid-centric ones) bc they can put toy sets in them and sell them that way.

I've used mine as mail 'containers' for things i need to send USPS, (fold the zipper end over and tape it shut w/ clear packing tape) and also as 'gift bags' by wrapping the gifts in colorful tissue paper and placing it in the see-through bag.

Also, storing baby socks and other small clothes in the smaller bags for things i want to pass on or keep for future child etc - i like the picture pockets to put my own paper labels in to tell me what is inside - though those pockets make a great place to put cards in too...
#25 of 25 Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 AM

I use them to store half finished craft items in, things that I'm doing, crochet, quilt and sewing stuff.

I would suggest NOT to use them for day to day storage of kid's toys. Okay to use if the toys are going in them and into a closet or something where you will rotate toys out. I don't think it's safe to use to store toys that the kids have access to. I wouldn't want my kids to think they were a play thing that possibley could get over their heads... my kids are 5 and 6, not tiny infants that could get tangled up in them... so maybe I'm too overprotective, but still not worth the risk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page