Would you give a coat with a broken zipper to Goodwill? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you give a coat with a broken zipper to Goodwill?
Yes 56 65.12%
No 30 34.88%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two coats that my kids have almost outgrown. They both have broken zippers but are fine other than that. Do you think it's okay to give them to Goodwill? It seems like someone could put a new zipper in (not me, but someone who actually knows how to sew!)
#2 of 25 Old 01-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Yes,
The new owner can fix the zipper, they may choose not to use the zipper,(they could be layering etc) they may need the coat as part of a costume etc... There are lots of reasons a person would be at goodwill for a coat.
#3 of 25 Old 01-19-2009, 04:52 PM

sure. goodwill would probably sell it for very cheap and someone handy with sewing a new zipper on may buy it.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 25 Old 01-19-2009, 04:55 PM

Yes, of course.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#5 of 25 Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 PM

Yes,and most people(like myself)who shop at goodwill know to check all zippers,snaps etc. before they buy.

#6 of 25 Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

OK. Maybe I'll just stick a note on them that says the zipper is broken.
#7 of 25 Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If it is a name brand coat and not too old, you can sometimes exchange it for the same size new....

I might donate it, but only if it was otherwise a nice coat. Would put a note on it, too, that's a good idea.
#8 of 25 Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 PM

Two cities I have lived in had "coats for kids" drives in the early fall. coats were collected, a local dry cleaner/alterations business donated any repairs needed and the coats were given to children in need.

Check out your city and see if they have something like that.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#9 of 25 Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 PM

Yes. Also, you could offer them up on Freecycle, mentioning that the zippers are broken. I've seen lots of stuff offered on there that just needs a little fixing to be good as new.

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
#10 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 AM

I was out of a sewing machine and had a zipper replaced by a tailor for 3$ :-) If that's the only issue I would take it myself :-) :-)

We all know our kids don't zipper their coats anyway, ha!
#11 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM

I voted no, only because I saw a thing on the news about either goodwill or Salvation Army that said anything donated with holes, stains, etc. gets thrown out and that the thrift stores were complaining about how much stuff had to be thrown away. Apparently they end up with large dumpsters full of trash that they have to pay to have emptied. Seems to me that there should be a better solution to this problem, but thats what the news said....
That being said, You could probably just call goodwill and see if they would take it or throw it out. If they won't take it, list it for free on Craigslist. I'm sure there are plenty of sew-y moms out there who wouldn't mind the few minutes it would take to fix it up!

Mama of one with one on the way 12/10
#12 of 25 Old 01-22-2009, 01:59 AM

No, Goodwill will throw it away no matter how nice the coat is. You're better off using Craig's List or Freecycle or as was previously suggested, a coat collection where they have someone who will repair the zipper before they send it out.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#13 of 25 Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 AM

No, if a piece of clothing has a problem I give it away on Free Market, Freecycle or on craigslist. I don't donate damaged goods.

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#14 of 25 Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 AM
2xy

If something is stained, frayed, or broken (like a zipper or missing buttons), I give it away for free. Freecycle and Craigslist are good places, but there are also donation bins for clothing around certain cities.

Aside from Goodwill possibly throwing it away, I don't like the idea of someone having to pay money for a damaged item, and then having to spend more money to fix it.
#15 of 25 Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 PM

except the last 2 days! LOL! (We had "frost" on the lawn when we woke up this morning!! Everyone walked around on it with bare feet until we couldn't stand it any longer!)

Anyway I digress! I got a nice name brand jacket for my toddler. The zipper was broken but it also had a row of snaps to keep it closed so it worked for my child and was passed down to another before it was finally outgrown and there was no younger sibling to need it!
#16 of 25 Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 PM

I won't give anything to Goodwill or any other charity that is not in wearable condition.

I don't know many poor people with sewing machines.
#17 of 25 Old 01-28-2009, 11:07 PM

Haven't read the rest, but I would definitely donate a coat w/broken zipper to goodwill. I've bought coats w/broken zippers (cheaper) and fixed 'em. Works great, still cheap.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#18 of 25 Old 01-28-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Gardens View Post

Me!

#19 of 25 Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 AM

nope - goodwill would toss it (in most cities). freecycle or craigslist with full disclosure. NOW, it's even going to be worse for goodwill because of the CPSIA, so until that gets sorted out, i won't be donating to resale shops at all.

and as for "poor people with sewing machines" = absolutely!!!! "poor" does not mean "not" industrious. there are many poor moms who are in school or married to student or just live so far below poverty that they have to shop thrift or freecycle for clothes.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#20 of 25 Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Gardens View Post
I won't give anything to Goodwill or any other charity that is not in wearable condition.

Poor people aren't the only ones that shop at thrift stores and why wouldn't a poor person have a sewing machine? Some newer ones aren't that expensive and some higher quality old ones can be passed down and used no problem. I learned to sew on my grandmother's 50 (i think) year old singer that she used till she died.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#21 of 25 Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Mom View Post
No, Goodwill will throw it away no matter how nice the coat is. You're better off using Craig's List or Freecycle or as was previously suggested, a coat collection where they have someone who will repair the zipper before they send it out.

Kathi
That's just what I was going to say. If you use freecycle or craig's list, you will be certain of getting the coat into the hands of someone who is willing and able to fix it.

Also, like someone else said, you might be able to get a brand new coat from the manufacturer. Land's End did this for us last year because the zipper on dd's coat stopped working.
#22 of 25 Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
Poor people aren't the only ones that shop at thrift stores
For example...there are lots of people who don't buy new for environmental reasons...or people who shop at goodwill because they want to support the program they have going on...or people who would rather spend their money on other things than new clothes...

you can even buy a sewing machine there!

#23 of 25 Old 01-29-2009, 12:28 PM

I'd donate it. A family could probably pick it up dirt cheap, and I'd rather see a kid with an unzipped coat than a kid with no coat at all.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#24 of 25 Old 02-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd offer it on Freecycle, being honest about the item's condition. I wouldn't make a thrift store deal with it- unless I knew for a fact that the particular charity was going to fix them before putting them up for sale (say, if they hired people with developmental disabilities to repair the clothes first, and part of the donation was providing them with employment.) Since I'm not aware of any local charity that does this, damaged items go out via freecycle.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#25 of 25 Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM

I voted no because I can afford to have the zipper replaced at the local mending lady.

I realize that might not be the case for everyone, to some the $5 or so may not be in the budget.

But I figure since I do have room in the budget, I have some sort of obligation to make things easier for the agency to which I am donating to.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page