My county has stopped recycling, what can I do with all our stuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-23-2009, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our county is out of money and one of the first things they have done is gotten rid of the recycling center. They said it may come back but we have no idea when or if it will happen. I hate to throw away all the things we usually recycle, like cardboard, newspapers, tons of plastic bottles and paperboard. Is there anything else I can do with all this stuff or I am stuck throwing it in the garbage? I'm not very creative .
#2 of 7 Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 AM

well you can compost most cardboard and newspaper. Use it for other things, like again the newspaper and cardboard you can use for lasagna gardening. Put other things on freecycle. Artists will use jars and cans.

For other things not really sure. Sorry I was not much help..
I wonder if you can bring it to another towns recycling center?
#3 of 7 Old 01-23-2009, 10:20 AM

You could check out this site to see if they have paper bins near you- they serve as fundraisers for local schools and such.

Look into other town's set ups. It might be worth a small fee to get a sticker to the dump in order to drop off your recycling.

If your kids like making art projects- you can use the bottles and trays and such to make boats and castles and such. I guess they'd still need to be thrown out at some point, but at least they got a second use.

Reuse all the containers that you can- sometimes local schools are looking for things like oatmeal cannisters or babyfood jars, etc.

Maybe start reducing the amount of recycleable materials you are left with- read the newspaper online, buy grains and such in bulk, make soup from scratch, etc.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#4 of 7 Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

The composting thing is a good idea. I"ll have to look up lasagna gardening. I would like to reduce the things that we have, but part of is that we get WIC so we get tons of juice and milk containers and we live with my mom and she eats a box of cereal a day, so that leaves lots of boxes.

My dh works in a different county than we live in, it never occurred to me to see about recycling there.

Thanks for the ideas.
#5 of 7 Old 01-24-2009, 10:40 PM

With your juice bottles, you can cut off the top, and you have a nice, open container for plants! I took all of mine (before we had recycling available) and filled them with dirt... Then put basil and bay seeds in... then lined them all up around my patio. Insta-mosquito barrier!!! : The only thing I bought was 2 packs of seeds (and they were local- HA!)

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#6 of 7 Old 01-25-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jenna~ View Post
Our county is out of money and one of the first things they have done is gotten rid of the recycling center. They said it may come back but we have no idea when or if it will happen. I hate to throw away all the things we usually recycle, like cardboard, newspapers, tons of plastic bottles and paperboard. Is there anything else I can do with all this stuff or I am stuck throwing it in the garbage? I'm not very creative .

Our community is stockpiling cardboard because no one will buy it because of the recession. Once they run out of room though into the dump it will go.

We use all our weekly flyers and cardboard to start our woodstove.

I guess the best way to help with your problem would be to try and buy less food in packages to begin with. Buying the biggest packages of things you can find will cut down on what has to be recycled as well.

Buying products with deposits is a great way to insure they are recycled. The idea is not new. Beer bottles and cans have had deposits for as long as I can remember.
#7 of 7 Old 01-25-2009, 11:48 AM

Contact "Keep America Beautiful", they can help. Also....Find out what companies exsist in your area where you take you stuff directly to them. In our community, we only have 1 recycling center which is not always convienent. The center only housed the stuff before sending it somewhere else. Find out where that "somewhere else" is in your community. Also, report your community's action to your Governor's office. In an age of change where we're looking to get people to do more recycling, that doesn't make sense that this would be your community's first pick at cost cutting!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page