Composting? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really would like to start, but how?

Any easy ways to do it? I have a crazy food obsessed dog, so it must be in some sort of container that she cant get to!

Any links for a first timer?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#2 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 02:13 PM

In the gardening forum here on MDC (Digging in the Earth), there is a sticky called "Compost 101". It is like 10 gazillion posts long, there's tons of useful information in it. For specific questions like dealing with dogs, I'd post in gardening... all those mamas compost!

Good luck!

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#3 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

thnaks i thought about posting there, but wasnt sure where to post about it!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#4 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 PM

Composting fits either here or in gardening but they have a lot of info about it over there already.

I've been fighting a battle with my dog to keep her out of the compost. Dh is going to be building a bin similar to this one. With a lid that latches. I'm not having hardware cloth on it though it will be wood with spaces between the boards big enough to let water and air through but too small for a dog nose. I had one like it at a place I rented a few years ago (it was there when I moved in) It worked great!

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#5 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
I really would like to start, but how?

Any easy ways to do it? I have a crazy food obsessed dog, so it must be in some sort of container that she cant get to!
I just wrote an article about it:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._or_piles.html

Dogs usually aren't interested in vegetable peels, coffee grounds, and fruit scraps (unless yours is one of the canteloupe-eating hounds). Dried leaves, shredded wood, likewise unattractive.

You could trench-compost the table scraps in the front yard's flowerbeds and use a bin in the back for leaves, grass clippings and vegetable matter.
#6 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Gardens View Post
I just wrote an article about it:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._or_piles.html

Dogs usually aren't interested in vegetable peels, coffee grounds, and fruit scraps (unless yours is one of the canteloupe-eating hounds). Dried leaves, shredded wood, likewise unattractive.

You could trench-compost the table scraps in the front yard's flowerbeds and use a bin in the back for leaves, grass clippings and vegetable matter.
: LOL! Yeah she will eat ANYTHING!

Thanks for the link!

#7 of 7 Old 01-30-2009, 02:03 AM

I'm looking out the window at my dog chewing on a frozen hunk of coffee grounds and carrot peelings as I type this! I can't wait for my new bin!

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page