extra prefolds as sanitary napkins? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-14-2009, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have heaps of extra prefolds from my first child and i want to know if i can use these as sanitary napkins, just for my medium to lighter days. do you think this could work? i think that if i bleach them and dry them in the sun the blood should bleach out and it seems really wasteful to fill landfills with sanitary napkins just because i'm too lazy to wash and use what i already have.
#2 of 12 Old 02-14-2009, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That's what I use now. At first I felt they were kind of bulky, but I have such a heavy two days, that they work pretty well for that. The newborn prefolds are more comfortable, but I use toddler prefolds too, sometimes.
#3 of 12 Old 02-14-2009, 05:20 AM

I did this for my miscarriage (extended - I bled for 2 mos), and for lochia after birth. I have yet to do it with an actual menstrual cycle, as I haven't had one since I started using cloth 2+ years ago.

I was able to soak mine in oxyclean and the blood came out. I did a wet pail for them. They were the cheap ones from Walmart - white birdseye, I think. Ny CPF would be too thick and bulky, but maybe the preemie/infant ones?

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#4 of 12 Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 AM

They're a little bulky but certainly useable. I've used them.
#5 of 12 Old 02-15-2009, 11:20 AM

I'm actually cutting some down for overnight pads. I like prefolds--they're soft and absorbent. I've had a variety of cloth pads and I think prefolds will fit the bill for overnight.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#6 of 12 Old 02-15-2009, 12:36 PM

Don't need to bleach! Just cold soak (I kept mine in a pot with a lid and changed the water daily - it's good for the garden) - rub in some soap if there's a stubborn stain - cold rise and wash.

still learning
#7 of 12 Old 02-15-2009, 12:41 PM

I just used premie (folded in 4ths for heavy days and third fo light days) and regular PFs (for night time) this cycle they are lovely! I have a fairly heavy flow and I had no leaks, not even overnight.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#8 of 12 Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 PM

They will work just fine in terms of absorbency, but they are quite bulky and tend to shift around a lot. I prefer reusable cloth pads designed to be cloth pads with snaps.

Can you sew at all?
#9 of 12 Old 02-15-2009, 05:57 PM

I have been using prefolded diapers for years as sanitary napkins. Yes, they are bulky, so you may not want to use them at the end of your period! I do fold them into quarters and place them in my underpants, and I don't have a problem with them shifting. I just wash them, but I don't mind diapers having stains. Obviously, if you wash them with bleach and hot water, more of the stains will come out, though.
#10 of 12 Old 02-15-2009, 07:19 PM

I use cut up prefolds too... it all started with a doubler - then I just cut a few prefolds and fake serged the sides. They work well. I only use one layer of the prefold. So I cut a prefold into 4 pads. I do have fairly light periods though, and have no other comparison for cloth absorbancy.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#11 of 12 Old 02-15-2009, 07:31 PM

They are bulky and i need to keep adjusting them so i usually just wear them at home.
#12 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use my old diaper doublers- not as bulky as prefolds- and put some diluted peroxide on them if they seem to need it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page