talk to me about line drying laundry - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2009, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsprite View Post
there is nothing better than the smell of 2 freshly bathed, sleepy, toddlers in freshly line dried pj's!! it is soo addictive

Mom of 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 AM

Line drying is something I have considered starting, and I appreciate all the great ideas on this thread. So do you just take clothes off line, shake, and wear? Or do you need to iron them first? What about those sheets everyone is raving about? Do they get ironed?
And I am seeing one person using the dryer before, and another after, they hang clothes outside. Is this the exception or normal? Frankly I am afraid that once they went into the dryer I'd move on and forget!

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 AM

I just thought of another question - can you dry shirts on hangers? I see the advice about putting them on a line upside down to protect the shoulders...what about using a clothing rack and drying them on hangers? I am thinking specifically about my husband's button down work shirts.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 AM

You can dry clothes on hangers, but my DH's shirts are too broad in the shoulders. The hangar leaves marks, because the shoulders droop off the end of the hangar.

I don't use my dryer except for CD inserts.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
Old 07-20-2009, 05:46 PM

CD are about the only thing I put in the dryer before hanging to help somewhat with the stiffness factor. I do it before because I can't see lugging the basket back into the basement to fluff after hanging up. Sometimes I'll put dressier shirts/pants in the dryer for a few minutes to de-wrinkle and then hang outside (again before hanging).

I don't dry on hangers because it leaves our shoulders looking funny, but may work for some people. I think a lot depends on the type of fabric you are talking about too. I also don't like to hang from the bottom corners because it leaves some cotton fabrics with funny marks at the bottom - my neighbor hangs all her shirts that way though. I always hang shirts across the chest - from armpit to armpit with the shirt hung over the line. Any marks from clothespins/pulls on fabric are in the pits so noone every sees!!

JoAnn Married almost 12 years to DH Chris.  DS1 01/05 DS2 09/09 DS3 05/12.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny penny View Post
For a touch of luxury we planted a row of lavender plants under our clothesline. So beautiful and the sheets and towels smell heavenly!
You are a genius. A GENIUS!

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 AM

We live in a townhome with HOA restrictions and a tiny backyard (barely bigger than the patio). The "rule" is nothing can be above the fence line, so I put a retractable line on the fence and stretch it across the patio to the shed wall to a hook when I need to use it. The hook is technically above the fence line, but once you hang something, it droops below the fence line, which is perfect.

Since our space on the line is limited, I generally line dry all linens and non-clothing outside in the bright California sunshine. (All of these are white or off-white in our house.) I toss some of them into the dryer first for a few minutes by setting it for the lowest number of minutes on the lowest heat: towels, rugs, anything heavy and this prevents the crunch factor. Our space is too small to benefit from any breezes. I busy myself with the next load or something else right in that immediate area while it is drying in the dryer for those few minutes. I've tried putting things in AFTER line drying and it takes longer to achieve the same effect.

I still dry our clothing in the dryer mostly. We have a gas dryer and I use the lowest heat on the "least dry" setting (sensor), then hang items over the edge of the basket and/or hang them up for the rest of the dry time. Our clothes last a lot longer this way (compared to all dryer time and higher heats) and we don't get any weirdness on our clothing. I do one load a day usually, so it is easy to keep up with and get completely put away before needing the line and basket again.

I love the idea of growing lavender near the line! I had all of our herbs near the line last summer, but none of the smells transferred. I wonder if you have to walk on it to activate it? Our have to be in pots. Hmmm....

I just line-dried sheets!!!! Takes less time for me than in the dryer and the smell is just heavenly!!!

I don't iron anything in this house! Well, I break out the iron for craft projects and sewing projects...but not for clothes or linens or whatnot from laundry.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 08-15-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower.mama View Post
I just thought of another question - can you dry shirts on hangers? I see the advice about putting them on a line upside down to protect the shoulders...what about using a clothing rack and drying them on hangers? I am thinking specifically about my husband's button down work shirts.
I just have to say first, I love, love, love my clothesline!!: It runs about 75 feet to a tall tree, so everything is above the grass, swaying in the breeze, no dragging sheets! I line dry as often as I can, and I'm often bummed if I'm too busy to get the clothes out before I need to leave the house. It is meditative to me, and I love arranging colors, sizes, likes with likes etc.

I use padded hangers for all of our shirts, even DH's fancy work shirts. I also request the hangers from kids' clothes stores (I use them for my kids' clothes which aren't heavy enough to weigh them down without the pads and cause those pinch marks at shoulder area...) and I have collected enough that I can use those for my boys' stuff. I especially like the pants hangers they use in stores with the the two metal clips, and I can just hang them straight, lengthwise on the line. I hang all of our pants this way! This allows me to utilize more space on the line, and most days I can fit about 3-4 loads out there!

For drying: I bring everything in, throw it all into the dryer and my tip for avoiding crunchiness: throw in a moistened washcloth that tosses in amongst the clothes for all of 5 minutes, and voila! Softened clothes, no wrinkles! Oh, and on the washcloth I may dot a drop or two of EO. Or toss in some sprigs of lavender!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
Old 09-23-2009, 01:07 PM

I started line drying a couple months ago and I really like it now. At first, the crunchy towels bothered me but I like it now.

I actually drive by the Amish houses and check out their clotheslines to see their tricks. I've learned to hand jeans by the waist rather than the pant legs because they dry faster.

I learned to install a 4' section of chain and just hand my shirts directly on hangers and then put the hangers through the chains. I tried to just put the hangers on the line, but we have too much wind for that. I was picking up wet, and dirty shirts off my lawn about 5 minutes after hanging them out. That has greatly simplified my laundry procedure.

I also have 2 lines on pulleys and I use both lines. That allows me to separate my clothes as I'm putting them up. The kids' clothes go on one line and DH's and my clothes go on the other line. That lets me put them in the basket in the order I will put them away. I am so much better about doing laundry now that I'm using the line.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 09-28-2009, 05:02 PM

I don't know why communities ban hanging laundry. I derive a lot of joy from watching laudry blow and dance in the wind. Especially because I always make a rainbow with our colorful clothes. I get positive comments on it constantly, and even had a photographer do a photo shoot in front of our line! It helps that we wear lots of bright colors.

If you have a small yard or want to keep the laundry hidden those umbrella hangers are good: tons of line space and they blow around in the wind. They have them at our Home Depot for $40.

Have fun with your laundry!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:32 AM

I'm not line drying 100% yet - I just started outdoor line drying last spring. In winter I've been averaging maybe 1/3 of our laundry line dryed. In warmer months I was up to maybe 3/4 line dryed... anyway, just wanted to say I really do like it... waiting for our dryer to break and then I'll be FORCED to just do without lol! I LOVE my outdoor umbrella dryer as well as my indoor large rack (even though they're expensive I feel like they've been worth it), so had to share the links: I have the First Lady from here http://stenicproducts.com/ and this one: http://www.robbinshomegoods.com/index.php?product_id=44

Elizabeth, naturally-minded mother to two beautiful girls and on the path to living a debt-free off-grid eco-lifestyle in my not built yet dream house
Old 01-14-2010, 06:04 PM

Love Love Love the lavender plants under the line idea.

I personally hang everything inside. Dh rigged up a system of loops of cloth ribbon on our laundry room ceiling. Kinda like a clothes line but tacked up every 2 feet or so. That way I don't need clothes pins and all my clothes don't slide into eachother. I mostly use these loops for diapers and towels. My clothes I put straight on the hangers, and when they are dry I bring them to our rooms and hang them right up. One less step! Although some clothes might get shoulder bumps so watch for that

Another thing I like about line drying inside is it keeps the humity level a little higher, since it's pretty dry where I live. (it's been below zero here since october, and yet we've only had to shovel snow once. )

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:43 PM

In the summer I have a huge clothesline outside, and we have 3 huge lenghts of thin rope in the basement where we dry mostly everything!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 PM

We have super dry weather (most days) and hot. Anything I need to know about line drying? Should I hang them up at night so they don't try in 20 minutes?

I've been staying at someone elses house until we get a house of our own and the towels are super crunchy. I'd like to try a vinegar rinse but I'm getting a two basin washer. Anyone had experience with them? Here's an article explaining how to use it. I was wondering if I could use the vinegar in the rinse cycle? My friends with this type of washer saves the rinse water and uses it for the wash water on the next cycle. Will anything weird happen if I have the vinegar in the wash water?

Any other ideas about super crunchiness? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Another for the lavender-under-the-clothesline idea! DH already built me a beautiful clothesline and I am definitely going to plant lavender around it now!

Any other suggestions for good quality, long-lasting indoor racks? I've been drying things inside for a few years now and yet another of those flimsy folding drying racks has died on me. I don't have a basement or dedicated space for this - I just set up racks in our bedrooms as needed. But I definitely need a better solution.

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 PM

Oh, yes, I LOVE my indoor drying rack. It is very sturdy, made in USA with sustainably forested wood. They are expensive (I actually lucked out and found mine locally for 50% off) but it is worth the full price IMO. They are here: http://www.robbinshomegoods.com/index.php?product_id=44

Elizabeth, naturally-minded mother to two beautiful girls and on the path to living a debt-free off-grid eco-lifestyle in my not built yet dream house
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 PM

Line drying is a great way of drying your clothes. There is nothing better than fresh breeze and some sun. Not to mention you save on your electricity bill that the drier would contribute to.

Worlds Best Mom
Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
I'd like to stop using the electric dryer. Can you give me your best hints for both indoor/outdoor line drying?

I'm hoping to avoid crunchy towels if possible.

Thanks!
that is the main reason why I do not do line drying. I hate crunchy clothes and I hate the smell of the outdoors!
But I have friends that just adore it! To each their own!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM

We have 3 drying racks that I bought this winter to increase humidity in our homes. It's really worked out beautifuul in terms of humidity and ease of putting away. I put one in each bedroom and will put the kids' clothing in their respective rooms to dry. This also leaves them with alot less travel time in putting away laundry. If I get a load in the washer in the am, by the time I'm home from work, I can set it to dry and the following evening it's ready to put away, so a 2 day process. DH isn't fond of line dried towels, but still that leaves us with plenty of saved electricity for sheets and clothes. We have 3 lines outside, but DH is putting a toolshed in that spot and I was thinking an umbrella line might be a better use for our space.

So tell me, those of you who use the umbrella line - what kind do youhave, how big is it and what was the cost?

signature currently in transition
Old 03-11-2010, 01:22 PM

I'm probably already on here raving about both my line dryers, but we got one of these umbrella dryers, and it is very well-made and durable and GREAT - I like knowing it was made in Europe, not China, and I can fit about 3 loads on it, and I'm not using its extra line yet:

http://www.stenicproducts.com/catalo...&product_id=23

Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 PM

Oh I love drying my clothes outside on the line. One of my favorite things is sleeping on sheets fresh from the line. Just love the smell.

In the winter I dry them downstairs, where we have a fireplace, on dryer racks. That way I figure they put humidity back in the air too.

As for crunchy towels, if you hang them on a windy day they shouldn't be too bad, shaking them, or tossing them in the dryer for five minutes works too.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:55 PM

Love all the tips! We line dry in the summer. Hubby loves the crunchy towels. Me? Not so much. But the smell is wonderful!

Blessed Mama through adoption. Diva 3, Baby J 1, Baby E 6 months (and still waiting for us to come get her!)

Old 04-02-2010, 02:37 AM

I got to hang my first load (actually 4 lol) of the season this week and was giddy with excitement! I know I'm such a dork but there is nothing better than the smell of laundry hung on the line and I crunchy towels. So much so that I hid a couple from DH so I could have them all to myself lol.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 04-03-2010, 02:04 AM

Oh, I love how much faster my laundry is drying with the windows open and the lovely warm sun shining in!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM

You all have me so excited! I started drying with racks last summer when my dryer broke. I was not permitted to use a clothes line(not even the umbrella type) in the rental I was in, but I just bought a house and one of the features that sold me on it was teh HUGE clothlines that goes diagonally across the whole back yard from the back door. I am so excited to use it starting next week(we take possession on friday). I am going to keep using the racks indoors to dry undergarments and delicates inside(no fence at all on this property and it is in town), as well as everything in the wintertime(hard to dry clothes outside in -30 temps). I am so excited to finally have my clothes line.

Brandy Single momma to A(11), C(10), H(6) and I(2)
:
Old 05-11-2010, 09:31 AM

I love hanging clothes on the line! Sadly we have a huge backyard but no clothesline and we are renting. I have a indoor rack that is used mainly for delicates. DH is not a fan of crunchy towels but it doesn't bother me.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
Old 05-12-2010, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
nice tips. we always line dry and i guess we are used to the crunchy towels ... we call them "exfoliating towels"
talk about something you could charge money for ...

and i also enjoy looking at clothes lined up and drying.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

User Tag List