talk to me about line drying laundry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to stop using the electric dryer. Can you give me your best hints for both indoor/outdoor line drying?

I'm hoping to avoid crunchy towels if possible.

Thanks!
#2 of 57 Old 02-19-2009, 02:08 AM

If you soften them up in the dryer first, they will come off of the line pretty soft. You can also shake and roll them around afterward. I don't do that b/c I am liking my crunchy towels. Vinegar in the rinse cycle can help remove any detergent / mineral residue that would increase crunchiness.

The slower things dry, the less crunchy they will be. Hanging towel in groups of 2 will delay drying. You can hand clothing inside to prevent fading from the sun and to slow drying.

Hang shirts upside down to shake out the wrinkles and to keep the shoulders from getting stretched out.
#3 of 57 Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 AM

Great post:

http://simple-green-frugal-co-op.blo...y-indoors.html

(The entire co-op blog is awesome too!)

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#4 of 57 Old 02-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
my advice

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 57 Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM

For a touch of luxury we planted a row of lavender plants under our clothesline. So beautiful and the sheets and towels smell heavenly!
#6 of 57 Old 02-19-2009, 07:27 PM

We don't do 100% line dry, although in the summer it gets close to that. It's definately a change, so be flexible with yourself. Even if you can't dry all your laundry on a line, some is better than none.
#7 of 57 Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 PM

We haven't used a dryer in over 2 years and we live in the Northeast where it is cold and snowy close to 6 months of the year~
For cold/wet weather I have a big drying rack that goes above a heating vent for smaller things like socks, washcloths, undies~
I have LOTS of good hangers for hanging things from the shower curtain bar in the bathroom.
I love when the nice weather kicks in though...I can do twice as much laundry twice as fast. Some things take FOREVER to dry indoors in the winter!! And the smell of sheets that have been dried outdoors in the sun is amazing!!

Allison~~ Mommy to 4 amazing troublemakers Newlywed to David Throwing in the towel on Fertility treatments after TTC for 5+ yrs. Simplifying our life in anticipation of cross country move in 2011
#8 of 57 Old 02-20-2009, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_angel View Post
And the smell of sheets that have been dried outdoors in the sun is amazing!!
Oh, I know. My mom always did this and I can't think of many things I love more than crawling into that fresh bed. They could CHARGE MONEY for that smell and yet it's given away for free.
#9 of 57 Old 02-21-2009, 11:14 AM

For outdoor drying in the winter I keep a close watch on The Weather Network. I know that the weather looks good for my area on Monday-Tuesday, two days, cold temperature, sunny with no precipatation. So I will be doing my laundry then.

Today I have to wash DS's diapers because I need clean covers for tonight so I will wash that and hang it inside today. On our few lines in the basement.

I cannot tell you how great it makes me feel to save money on electricity. Money that is better spent on good quality food for my family. Not to mention how much better for the environment it is.
#10 of 57 Old 02-21-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny penny View Post
For a touch of luxury we planted a row of lavender plants under our clothesline. So beautiful and the sheets and towels smell heavenly!
That is such a perfect idea!

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#11 of 57 Old 02-28-2009, 04:25 PM

I dry downstairs in inclement weather and like a pp said I watch the weather. It helps as well to shake the clothes out before drying.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#12 of 57 Old 03-04-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjawm View Post
We don't do 100% line dry, although in the summer it gets close to that. It's definately a change, so be flexible with yourself. Even if you can't dry all your laundry on a line, some is better than none.

I agree. We line dry as much as possible, but don't always get the chance, too. I would certainly try a 5 or 10 minute dry in your dryer and then the rest on the line. That should prevent the 'crunchiness' that you're referring to.
#13 of 57 Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM

What about allergies? It sounds like a nightmare to have all those particles in my sheets and clothes as romantic as sun-dried sheets sound.
#14 of 57 Old 03-04-2009, 05:24 PM

Some friends of ours found drying racks at the local thrift store for themselves, and then found some for us as well (we love them). So for the past 6 weeks, we've been line drying (or rack drying) indoors. And we have a 7 week old on cloth diapers, and we realized that the snappi works better when the diapers are air dried. You have to be on top of laundry management to make sure every load has time enough to dry before it's time to hang another one, but it's possible. So if you're on a budget, check out your local thrift store. New drying racks can be like $80.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#15 of 57 Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 AM

Summer sun fades colored clothing so I plan on hanging those items out at night and bringing them in in the morning when they are dry.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#16 of 57 Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 AM

Drats, my kids jus accidently tore down my drying line.

My advice would be to shake out your clothing BEFORE and AFTER drying.
You want to make sure that if any bees or bug have landed on your clothing, tht they are gone by the time you get inside. I just carry a basket outside, and take the item down, shake it, then fold it and put in basket.

Alot of our clothing doesn't have to be ironed because off line drying.

I also watch the weather for a couple of nice rain free days. I especially like it when there's a 5 mph wind blowing, cuz the clothes dry in under 45 mins. Thats about how long it takes clothes to dry in the dryer.

We don't have a dryer (or washer) so we have this down to a science.
In the winter time, we dry alot inside on hangers, and on every imaginable surface. It gets interesting after laundry day, but I really like it.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#17 of 57 Old 03-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernG View Post
The slower things dry, the less crunchy they will be.
I live in FL and my clothes and towels ans sheets dry very fast! They are always extremely stiff and scratchy! I couldn't line dry my prefolds! They were so rough you could use them as a loofah for your heels! They were so stiff they could stand up on their own!

I line dry to the point my clothing is slightly damp and then I machine dry them. It's extra work but it saves a TON of money on my electric bill since the dryer and a/c use up the most electricity in my house.

I also live in an area where there are no restrictions on clothes lines. I also live on 1/2 acre and have lots of trees so my laundry isn't visible!
#18 of 57 Old 03-06-2009, 08:38 PM

Hanging clothes at night often doesn't work, as the dew is too heavy. I just hang our clothes inside out on the line, and that works fine to keep the clothes from fading from the sunlight. The clothes will be more crunchy if the day is quite still, with wind they'll be softer.

I dry almost all our clothes on racks in the house. I got my racks for less than $10 at Canadian Tire on sales. With 2 racks I can keep up with the entire laundry, including cloth diapers. I don't have just one laundry day, I do it daily or every other day.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#19 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
crunchies - just give it a good shake when you are done drying it.

shirts and pants - hang upside down. this puts the pins are the thinnest parts and keeps you from having pointy shoulders.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#20 of 57 Old 05-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zech13_9_goforgold View Post
What about allergies? It sounds like a nightmare to have all those particles in my sheets and clothes as romantic as sun-dried sheets sound.
I have allergies, so I try to be strategic with my line-drying. Oak is my big nemesis, so when the oak is high (like now,) sheets have to go in the dryer. My rule of thumb is: if my eyes are puffy and my throat is scratchy, anything that's worn close to my face gets dried indoors. But line-dried pants/underwear/socks/dishcloths are never a problem, so weather permitting, those get line-dried all the time.

I have two drying racks for inside drying anything that can't go outside due to allergy or pollen.

henny penny, I LOVE your idea of planting lavender under the clothesline. Brilliant! For some reason, that doesn't work with basil. I have dozens of pots of basil hanging around/under my clothesline, but I've never noticed the smell transferring.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#21 of 57 Old 05-24-2009, 11:13 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE drying our clothes outside! DP sometimes complains that his shirts and boxers feel "starched", but I think it is an added bonus! I also LOVE crunchy towels- I think they are more absorbant.

Sometimes I give all the clothes a short whirl in the dryer after taking them down to remove any bugs and to cut down on the "starchy" feeling. Especially during Japenese beetle and June bug season here in Indiana.

We have an umbrella style rack that fits into a sleeve in the ground. It cost less than $50 at the hardware store. I plan to buy the $30 indoor stand so that I can use it in the basement this winter.

Jenny Eric and The Boy (05.04.05)
#22 of 57 Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 PM

We use drying racks. We don't have any clotheslines and I like the fact that they are portable. We probably dry 90% of our clothes and towels, sheets, etc on the racks. Winter and summer. In the winter, we position the racks near heating vents and it helps with the moisture level in the house. So, we kill two birds with one stone.

In the summer, we just move the racks outside or, if it is raining, to the screened porch. I LOVE the idea of planting lavendar nearby. I will get some tomorrow and put it in pots on the deck near where we usually put the racks. Inspired idea.

WAHM to three, all natural, organic and sports-obsessed boys:. MDC7 for 7% off at www.cottontailbaby.com or www.mamaclothonline.com for all your cloth diapering and natural family living needs:
#23 of 57 Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I haven't plugged in my dryer in almost a year now and it's lovely. Everything is line dried in the sun outside or if it's raining they are hung on a rack in my kitchen. We have this and it works great. Holds a full load of laundry or diapers. It's much much sturdier than it looks and it is cheap too. It paid for itself in the first month.:

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#24 of 57 Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech13_9_goforgold View Post
We don't notice this as a problem for all but a couple weeks out of the year. During those couple weeks the pine pollen is so bad that you literally see yellow clouds floating across the fields. A short walk in the yard will give your shoes a layer of pollen. It's incredible. I came from the Northwest and never saw anything like this. The south sure is an amazing place.

Anyway....I find that a shake of the towels before I hang them also helps with crunchies. You really get used to it, I think. We line dry everything and love it. DH gets dissappointed now if I use the dryer, we just love the smell and that we used free power to dry our clothes.

We're going to be creating some clothesline space in our home for rainy days.

You'll want a good chair or table to set your laundry bakset on. You'll get tired of bending over that much. Also, make or buy something to hang your clothes pins in, you want it to be convenient and accessible to make your life easier.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#25 of 57 Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 AM

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you start an extra spin cycle after your clothes are done washing it gets any weighty moisture out.
#26 of 57 Old 06-05-2009, 02:49 PM

I love to line dry too. I wish this rain would go away because I really need to get some laundry done.

For the clothes pins, I found this blog with a cute idea:
http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/clothespinbag.htm

I made one out of my son's outgrown shirt in under 10 minutes.
#27 of 57 Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 PM

For clothespins I know a lady who just cut a wedge out of the top of a plastic milk jug, leaving the handle intact. Then she could just grab the jug and hang it on a nail next to her line.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#28 of 57 Old 06-06-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
For clothespins I know a lady who just cut a wedge out of the top of a plastic milk jug, leaving the handle intact. Then she could just grab the jug and hang it on a nail next to her line.
Or you could cut the bottom of the handle off, and then hook the jug on your clothesline or in your pocket. That's what I do!

See here: Repurposing a milk jug

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#29 of 57 Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 PM

I've been really trying to line dry, especially the diapers, and it really did help lower our power bill. Plus, the clothes smell so clean! On rainy days, I just use a drying rack on our screened in front porch. The only problem I've ran into is bugs! I hate bugs and I have to be so careful not to bring them in. Yesterday I was folding diapers and a huge bug ran out of one of the pocket diapers as I was stuffing it. I made my dh check all the other pocket ones to make sure there weren't any more hiding in there.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#30 of 57 Old 06-21-2009, 06:42 PM

I guess it might be a cultural difference but I am amazed by this thread - I have never owned an electric dryer and I live on a small island off the northwest coast of england so we dont get a lot of hot sunny weather. We line dry stuff when we can and when we cant we use drying racks indoors, we have some freestanding ones and also some mini racks that hook on to the top of radiators and are great. I have never missed having an electric dryer apart from when I did a month long trial of cloth nappies (diapers) and realised it took just too long to dry them (I needed to buy a months worth as some took 4 days to dry!!!!) and so I EC'ed where I could and used biodegradable sposies as well.

Now my DD's are pretty much PL I cant see any reason to have an electric dryer & I have noticed that my clothes always smell so fresh when they have been outside - and there is nothing better than the smell of 2 freshly bathed, sleepy, toddlers in freshly line dried pj's!! it is soo addictive

oh and FTR I do one to two laundry loads per day

sahm mama to dd1 08/08/06 and dd2 27/11/07.. dreaming of her own smallholding one day...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page