Uses for formula cans, please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-14-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're using about one can of formula a week and have quite the stash of used up cans with lids. They're nice cans and I'd like to reuse them somehow. Any suggestions about what to do with them?

How about the little scoops that come in the cans? And glass baby food jars?

I'm sure this board's creative ladies will have some fantastic ideas!
#2 of 15 Old 03-14-2009, 02:47 PM

Crud, I typed a response and it went into the ether. I'll try to recreate it.

For the cans: store small toys in them (like Little People, those always end up EVERYWHERE in my house!) Markers and crayons that have lost their boxes. Keep one under your sink in the bathroom for sample size stuff (I collect that stuff obsessively!) Put one in the laundry room with a slit in the top so you can put any loose change from pockets in there.

For the jars: put spices in them. I use baby food jars for my spices I don't buy in massive bulk. Stuff like pumpkin pie spice, celery seed, and rosemary that I take a long time to use up.
#3 of 15 Old 03-14-2009, 03:36 PM

Not particularly creative but we use the metal cans for storage. I put a lot of my foods in the pantry in them to help keep pests out and because they're so durable. You never know when you're going to get a mouse in your house and I'd rather have my beans in a metal can instead of a plastic bag. Just be sure to dry them out really well so they don't rust.

Also, I made a game for my son when he was younger...I cut a narrow rectangle in the lid of a formula container and gave him a bunch of canning lids and he'd put the lids through the hole in the can. He found it pretty amusing when he was younger.

For the scoopers.....DS liked to play with them in the tub. I also kept a couple and cut off the handles and use them to cut doughnut holes.

Small glass jars I use to store spices or small things in my craft room.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#4 of 15 Old 03-14-2009, 04:32 PM

Toys.

Save them until baby is a preschooler, and then they make terrific containers for storing all the little bits and pieces that come with games and toys. And the glass baby food jars make great paint-pots, when baby is old enough to paint at an easel. The scoops can be used for bath toys or sandbox toys. You probably won't need as many as you'll have, but you can save some of them for that.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 15 Old 03-17-2009, 03:38 AM

You could decorate them with scrapbook paper and ric-rac and use them for pens and pencils...or you could use them to put small gifts in like a home-made "gift bag."

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#6 of 15 Old 03-17-2009, 01:27 PM

Just be careful with them and check the insides first. I had one of the larger sized cans and cut a small slit in the top so my son could practice putting coins in it and then showed him how to open the lid and dump them all out to do it again.... but when I was reaching in it I cut my finger! So just make sure when you peel the aluminum lid off before using the formula, that there are no sharp edges. I think maybe most don't, but mine did and it was super sharp.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 15 Old 03-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
Crud, I typed a response and it went into the ether. I'll try to recreate it.

For the cans: store small toys in them (like Little People, those always end up EVERYWHERE in my house!) Markers and crayons that have lost their boxes. Keep one under your sink in the bathroom for sample size stuff (I collect that stuff obsessively!) Put one in the laundry room with a slit in the top so you can put any loose change from pockets in there.

For the jars: put spices in them. I use baby food jars for my spices I don't buy in massive bulk. Stuff like pumpkin pie spice, celery seed, and rosemary that I take a long time to use up.
I agree!
#8 of 15 Old 05-07-2009, 07:28 PM

I made gifts out of tomato cans and plan to use my friend's formula cans to make some more.

#9 of 15 Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 AM

I saw a desk set-up with round containers as a mail sorting system today. Hoping this link works.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#10 of 15 Old 05-08-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarat View Post
Not particularly creative but we use the metal cans for storage. I put a lot of my foods in the pantry in them to help keep pests out and because they're so durable. You never know when you're going to get a mouse in your house and I'd rather have my beans in a metal can instead of a plastic bag. Just be sure to dry them out really well so they don't rust.
It is my understanding that most formula cans are lined with BPA. You might want to look into that if you are thinking about food storage. Or put the food in there in the original packaging instead of dumping it in there.
#11 of 15 Old 05-09-2009, 08:07 PM

#12 of 15 Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Possibly to plant a flower? You could also them up on CraigsList or FreeCycle, a lot of crafty people may be interested. Or Google "uses for used formula cans craft diy" or similar.
#13 of 15 Old 05-15-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmichelle99 View Post
It is my understanding that most formula cans are lined with BPA. You might want to look into that if you are thinking about food storage. Or put the food in there in the original packaging instead of dumping it in there.
Only liquid formula cans are lined. The plain metal ones used for powdered formula are unlined.

I'm using them as containers for this year's home made holiday gifts. I'm going to cover them with cute lemon-print fabric and am making soap, lotion, and other goodies with lemon. There are a few huge lemon trees in my neighborhood, so this will be a very cost effective gift!
#14 of 15 Old 05-15-2009, 05:42 PM

Great ideas! We don't use formula, but this has inspired me regarding other cans that we do use.

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#15 of 15 Old 05-16-2009, 02:18 PM

I've been planning to make baby wipes before my baby gets here, the cans might be good for that if you make your own.

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page