finding a new use for old candles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2009, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a LOT of old candles that I don't want to burn due to the toxicity (I only use beeswax or soy now - I am pregnant and have a toddler so want safe indoor air quality). I guess they are parrafin wax. Does anyone have any ideas on how to find another use for them? I have white as well as a variety of colours. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 PM

Melt them down and dip dried moss or something else burnable. They're great firestarters. My 13 yo cousin calls them "fireballs."
Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 PM

i was going to suggest fire starters as well... we take old cardboard egg cartons, fill with cedar shavings and drip wax (obtained by melting in a double boiler) on them.... not sure if this is something you want... perhaps you can donate them to a local scout group...
Old 04-24-2009, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Ahhhh....if only I had a fireplace. Could be great once we put a firepit into our backyard though.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 PM

I use toilet paper rolls. Fill them with dryer lint and then pour the melted wax over them. I put the wax in a can and then melted it in a pan of water. DH will take them camping this summer to use in the campfire. That way they will be burning outside and not where the fumes would be trapped in.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
Old 04-29-2009, 01:28 AM

Melt them down, put a wick in a cup or pretty jar, pour the melted wax in, and you have a beautiful gift for someone who uses paraffin candles anyways.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 04-29-2009, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

That's a really good idea, thanks! I'm just going through the candles again, actually. Weeding out the ones I don't like, and trying to imagine giving the others away. They are pretty IKEA ones still in their boxes. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
Melt them down, put a wick in a cup or pretty jar, pour the melted wax in, and you have a beautiful gift for someone who uses paraffin candles anyways.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:30 PM

I'm going through the same thing. Tons of paraffin candles that I've collected over the years, and now I'm afraid to burn them. Mostly, I have votive candles that were bought in bulk (so no pretty packaging).

Most of the gifts I give are basket gifts - a bunch of little things I've found at thrift stores or lying around the house (often with themes) arranged in a pretty basket. I figure a candle or two in each basket will work wonderfully. Eventually, I'll find homes for them all.

I do have several jar candles that are half-burned. I love the idea of melting them down and making new candles out of them. Those could be a gifts on their own!

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech13_9_goforgold View Post
Melt them down and dip dried moss or something else burnable. They're great firestarters. My 13 yo cousin calls them "fireballs."
That's what I do with ours too. I'm almost out of cheap wax too
Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 AM

White wax ones... I will use to "lubricate" the wooden sliders of my old antique dresser. Sometimes the rails get stuck, and will then in turn wax the edges, it certainly helps.

other than that, I too would recommend fire starters, or re-melt to make gifts. Can also just offer them up on Criagslist/ freecycle or even donate a bag of them to the thrift store.

User Tag List