I need grocery bag help - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 09-20-2009, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got two from Costco that I LOVE and they were both free! They were doing promotional things and my dad signed for the credit card and was given one which he handed right over to me.. it is large and cubical. The sides pop up straight- I am not sure what they put in them to make them do that, though. One was a different year than the other so one has handles and the other has more of a shoulder strap, but other than that they are the same. I can fit a whole cart full of groceries in those two bags.

Our other grocery bags I got through a swap (ziptop one), and thrift stores (the "grocery store" bags I got there- like the ones that say Fred Meyer on them- $.25 each there I think).
#32 of 46 Old 09-22-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanythings View Post
I have gotten all my grocery bags secondhand (Goodwill, etc.). I buy the heavy canvas ones - I have ones that say Safeway, Trader Joe's, and a variety of nature conservancies, jazz festivals, etc.
We have a bunch of lightweight canvas bags from before everybody started with the cheap pseudo-reusable poly bags, and the canvas ones are way better. We constantly lament our store switching from nice canvas to the weird plastic ones.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#33 of 46 Old 09-22-2009, 04:52 PM
LZP

I also collect the giveaway bags from shows - but, I'm lucky enough that I receive samples from vendors since I handle ordering some of our promotional items at the office. I choose the best samples for my own shopping, and pass along the rest to co-workers or friends.

I've been wondering about making them out of fusible interfacing and regular store plastic bags, since i dont even like to use those for our trash at home... but I forget were I saw instructions. I would think with fusible interfacing, scissors, and a few of the heavier plastic bags (target, bb&b, etc) you could make a few without any real sewing skill at all!

anyone remember seeing something about those things on MDC or elsewhere and care to share instructions?

Also, i have lots of "scrap" fabric due to over orders from various household projects, and thought this would be a great use for them! some nice home dec fabric would hold up well in only one layer, I bet!

Oh- and i use any bag i can find for shopping- most stores dont care. i use car show bags, makeup giveaway bags from my mom, TJs bags, etc at Acme all the time!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#34 of 46 Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot about this thread.... Ive decided its trader joes bags all the way. i have a pretty good stash of them for now...
#35 of 46 Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 AM
LZP

HA! i just realized that you posted this in JULY. oops!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#36 of 46 Old 10-23-2009, 05:14 PM

I'm in Phoenix too, and I do use the reusable bags every once in awhile... but not enough for any of them to wear out. I reuse plastic grocery bags by donating them to the Desert Mission Food Bank (in Sunnyslope). They are in constant need of bags, and it doesn't feel wasteful if it is to help get food to people in need.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#37 of 46 Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 AM

I have bags from Ikea, Trader Joes, and Home Depot that are great. The Safeway bags were junk.
#38 of 46 Old 10-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Yew

I made some more t-shirt bags just today. I love them, and I think that anyone who tries them will feel the same. Soft, roomy, durable, and eclectic looking. And most of all, a wonderful way to reuse/recycle.
#39 of 46 Old 11-06-2009, 08:49 PM

I really love my Chico Bags. I have one of the original style, and 3 Vita style. the original style is the size of a regular plastic grocery bag, but the Vita ones are bigger and have straps that are long enough to go over your shoulder. I love how small they are when stuffed into the pouch because I can keep a couple in my purse at all times so I don't forget to bring them into the store (and don't forget to use them since I see them when grabing my wallet to pay). I use them for ANY kind of shopping since they're always with me. I have a couple of those cheap $1 bags too, and while they never fell apart on me, I would always forget to take my bags grocery shopping, and NEVER even though of taking them shopping anywhere else, but always have the chico bags so I use them everwhere now.
They aren't the chapest, but I got mine on sale, and I know I've seen co-ops for them in the past, though I'm not sure if they are allowed anymore...
#40 of 46 Old 11-13-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yew View Post
I made some more t-shirt bags just today. I love them, and I think that anyone who tries them will feel the same. Soft, roomy, durable, and eclectic looking. And most of all, a wonderful way to reuse/recycle.
Me too!

I worked extra hours to purchase one dozen canvas and eight mesh bag from eco-bags. Half of a dozen produce bags too. We love them. We've had them for about four years now.

I have also added t-shirt bags, thrift store bags, and I make my own produce bags now too, because we use them or bulk dry goods as well, so I need a lot!

I know it sounds like a lot of bags, but we do our shopping in batch trips to the city, so we use them up!
#41 of 46 Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 AM

By the way, if you read the tag on the Whole Food bags, you'll find out that if the bags tear or fall apart somehow, they'll replace them for free.

Some of mine are pretty worn out so when they bite the dust, I'll be asking for replacements!
#42 of 46 Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroMama View Post
By the way, if you read the tag on the Whole Food bags, you'll find out that if the bags tear or fall apart somehow, they'll replace them for free.

Some of mine are pretty worn out so when they bite the dust, I'll be asking for replacements!

That is great info! I might replace mine and give some away ... right now, I'm in tshirt-bag-love.

We are making them for holiday gifts - with *thrift* store bought *second-hand* tshirts, decorated by the kids with bleach pens (I know it sounds anti-green, but it's uber-cool-looking). Here is our first bleach pen experiment.

We're also making gift bags and bday party goodie out of *second-hand* baby tshirts - need to get a picture of the next one ...

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#43 of 46 Old 11-28-2009, 12:01 AM

Very cool, Janis!

Speaking of replacing bags - the manager at albertson's gave me 6 new bags for free after she saw how the seams were splitting on several of mine.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#44 of 46 Old 12-23-2009, 10:44 PM

I was in a co-op years ago for these bags and they're GREAT! http://www.reusablebags.com/store/ac...hemp-p-22.html
I use them for everything. The dual handles are wonderful, and when not filled with stuff they are thin enough to not take up tons of space. I got 2 of them tye-dyed and they are so cute
#45 of 46 Old 12-23-2009, 11:05 PM

You can find some great deals on cotton duck or muslim fabric that will hold up better than that weird "plastic" fabric. Even though its great that they are made o f plastic bottles they really didnt hold up well for us. I ended up using a smaller handled paper bag as a template to cut the fabric. Plus the fabric has no logos and are pretty washable. joann's often has % off fabric coupons and you can find the fabric in wide bolts. I also made some smaller drawstring type bags out of a burlap material for veggies and fruits.
#46 of 46 Old 12-26-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
You know, I have several of the $1 Kroger/Seventh Generation/Publix bags and I've never had a problem with them. The only bags I've had problems with were some SWAG reusable bags that I got from work (specifically reusable shopping bags, not canvas corporate bags).

Reading this thread has inspired me to go to find some canvas bags tomorrow and decorate them in some sort of cool way.

BTW, has anyone actually tried the "make T-shirt into a shopping bag" idea? I LOVE the idea...but I feel like it wouldn't be sturdy enough for shopping trips. Thanks!
I have made the Tshirt ones and they are cute. However they are super stretchy, so I hardly ever use them. I did use Large or XL shirts from dh. If I ever made any again I would made them with small or med shirts so they wouldn't be so big and maybe that would help with the stretch a little.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page