PO'd at Freecycers here - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 11-26-2009, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroMama View Post
I love to Freecycle, but I've gotten pickier recently.

Now I don't just give it to the first person who emails me, but I check to see if that person has also given away things on Freecycle. If they haven't, I wait a few hours and see what other responses I get.

That helps cut down on the no-shows somewhat.
This confuses me somewhat. Some have been upset because they've seen what they've given away 're-freecycled'. Well, if I were to take something, it would be because I needed it. I don't have much so wouldn't have anything to put up to freecycle. Thus, to make the givers happy, I'd have to find something to offer so they would be happy giving me something I need. If I have nothing...no one wants to give me something? :

Jonell
#32 of 49 Old 11-27-2009, 09:51 AM

I have "re-freecycled" before. I thought it was the nice thing to do. I got a bunch of stamps for crafting and never ended up using them for a year. (I wanted to get into stamping, and just found I couldn't do it). So I put them back up again to pass on the love. I even stated the situation, that I got them via freecycling, hadn't used them, therefore was putting them back up.

I don't check to see anyones history or anything. I just don't care to spend my time doing that. I guess since I've never had a problem, it hasn't been an issue for me. When I freecyle stuff I'm very specific about all the details. I think that helps, but I see from here, people still don't show up etc., which would really annoy me too.

I dunno, I really like freecyle. I think it's such an awesome idea and I don't spend time judging anyones situation or anything. If I have something to give, and someone wants to come get it, then I am grateful it's not going into a landfill. I don't care to know what that person is doing with it or anything else. I'm just glad to get rid of it.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#33 of 49 Old 12-01-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
And I hate to donate stuff to a place that charges poor people to have it.
This is why I really avoid Goodwill and Salvation Army for my donations, though I do shop there sometimes. Our local Catholic Charities does charge, but it's a quarter for any item of clothing except blue jeans (they're $1). The man who runs it says that they charge the quarter because a lot of people are ashamed to need "free" and feel paying *something* makes it less charity. Plus, they're totally okay if you go in and say you can't afford even the quarter. Point being that I prefer to donate to the Catholic thrift shop.

What I've been doing is thinking of every single charity I can first. Another mom at my DS's preschool is a doula, and as soon as I catch her, I'm going to see if she can use some of the baby stuff I have. I've taken blankets to the men's homeless shelter, toys to a center for abused children, etc. It's more hassle, but I feel better about it than dropping it off somewhere people will be charged for it.

As for FC in particular, I have mixed feelings. I've had okay experiences, though I do have some people who are belligerent if they don't get the items. The only people I ignore immediately are the ones who say "I want it. Give me your number, and I'll call when I want to get it." Um, no. I'm just not that flexible.

I hate that people ask for so much, though. There are the same people asking for multiple items every week. I don't mind the occasional "I really need X and can't afford it right now," but some people are looking for freebies to furnish their house. We have people asking for cars all the time, too. They get specific about the make/model/year. It's...bizarre to me.

Ours is moderated, though I think I'm off moderation now. Still apparently there have been waves of "free pets," so some people stay moderated for a while.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#34 of 49 Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM

I don't care for our freecycle too much. I posted about needing an ironing board that the person that replied gave me a false link to see the picture (not that I even cared) and a false e-mail that turned out to be undeliverable. Then someone else posted about having a free Mac Airbook because they "won another free one." I still offered some stuff, but I'm thinking of leaving the group.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#35 of 49 Old 12-02-2009, 09:32 PM

Ugh. I totally hear you, OP. People are just so insanely rude. The rudeness of the messages doesn't even really bother me that much, I don't care, I just want my stuff gone. What really gets me is the people who respond to your post saying they're very interested and ask for a picture, I'm nice enough to go take a picture of said item and email it to them, they respond and say, oh I can't open that please send it by cell phone...well um, no, I don't do pics with my cell phone. So I respond no I can't, tough, you can come look at it and see if you want it (much more politely of course ) and they don't respond. Ever. Even to say they're not interested. Grrrrrr. Then I have to wait a few days to see if they are ever going to respond, meanwhile I have other people waiting for the item (who don't respond either) and eventually I have to relist it, so it's like another week before I'm rid of the item. I have had consistent problems with people responding in general. They just don't respond. They say they're interested and then drop off the face of the earth. Or they say they'll come get it, no-show, and then drop off the face of the earth.

ARGH! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#36 of 49 Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM

I've never had problems with rudeness, and it's been really helpful at decluttering my stuff. but our local freecycle group always has far more wanted items than offers - it's pretty extreme and it drives me crazy.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#37 of 49 Old 12-08-2009, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobmom View Post
I feel I have no reason to think that people who use Freecycle need the stuff (as in, are poor and can't afford to buy it). Some people are trying to save money, some people are just cheap/greedy, and some people, like the PP said, are actually taking free stuff and going off and selling it! Personally, I'd rather donate to a charity that charges a nominal amount of the stuff and then uses the proceeds to help people who are truly in need. Sometimes that small amount they charge makes a difference between someone taking advantage of the system and not (i.e. a reseller is not as likely to buy something to resell when they get stuff for free, whereas a person who has limited funds may still be able to afford a $1 shirt). Although I do think Goodwill charges a lot for their stuff, they also employ a lot of disadvantaged people and create opportunities for them. I donate my items and only use Freecycle as a last resort for things that the charities can't or won't take.
You know what, I think you're right. That is a totally different perspective to me, thank you!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#38 of 49 Old 12-09-2009, 03:49 PM

Well, I still don't understand why anyone cares who takes their stuff. Isn't freecycling mostly to conveniently have taken away what you don't want or need anymore?

That said, I do not have even $1 for Goodwill anymore. Their prices here are much too high anyway for a disabled, 60 y.o. used-to-work-hard-for-a-living-until-diabled woman. This economy sucks and I am at the point where I pick up a head of fresh cauliflower, look at the scale and cost, then place it back on the pile instead of in my cart.

Last week we picked up some odds 'n ends silverware from an ad on Kashless.com. So happy to get it as, over the years, we have lost most of ours and were down to three knives, etc. People on Kashless don't care who picks up, as long as it's gone, gone, gone!
#39 of 49 Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogonia View Post
Well, I still don't understand why anyone cares who takes their stuff. Isn't freecycling mostly to conveniently have taken away what you don't want or need anymore?
I agree. I don't think of freecycle as a charity thing. I'm thrilled to have someone come take my stuff away! And I love not having to take stuff to the dump!!
#40 of 49 Old 12-12-2009, 09:42 AM

I don't even bother with Freecycle anymore. So many never bother to show up for pickup, and that wasted lots of my time. Too bad, it's a great idea.
#41 of 49 Old 12-13-2009, 02:46 PM

I have the same problem with people who don't show up. I had an exersaucer sitting on my porch, in the rain, for over a week before it was finally picked up. Another item sat around for a good 4 or 5 days before they came to get it.

I'm trying to get rid of stuff, not store it for you.

Next time I list something, it has to picked up before the AmVets truck gets here.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#42 of 49 Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM

I was able to have Salvation Army come to my house and pick up a very large purging effort....made geting rid of my stuff very easy. But I also use freecycle and have recieved nice things and given useful things. In fact on Thanksgiving someone offered me a huge LEGO donation for my daughters LEGO club at school that's trying to form
#43 of 49 Old 01-29-2010, 02:27 PM

I found it helped to lower my expectations about Freecycle.

I expect that some people will be rude.
I expect that some people will be no-shows.
I expect that some people might re-sell my stuff.

None of this really bothers me, as all I want to do is get rid of the stuff without throwing it in a landfill.

I don't respond to the rude e-mails. And I keep a list of usernames of people who are rude or no-shows so I can avoid them in the future.

I am very specific about my listing. You have to be able to be able to pick it up within a certain number of hours, and if you don't show up or don't return my messages, I will automatically move on to the next person.

When I do it this way, it seems to cut down on the no-shows and I usually have a good experience.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#44 of 49 Old 01-29-2010, 02:43 PM

If you have a local mega church in your area, most of them have a free store attached. Our local mega church does, and anyone can "shop" there. They have set hours each weekend that they open the doors.

My best freecycle give away is chicken poop. I always give away the piles of poo from the coops and I have literally a hundred responses of people wanting it. It's the only thing I always have picked up right away!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#45 of 49 Old 01-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned

the funniest one that i had was an email where the woman said "will you keep it in your storage room for me for 3 months and then i'll pick it up?"

first, i don't have one. second, if i did, it's like how-ever much $ per month for a storage room. it's freecycle, people! LOL i'm trying to stop storing it. LOL

yeah, i do craig's list now. just easier. but i love the freecycle idea!
#46 of 49 Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have no experience with Freecycle so I'm a little confused, as well. Is there maybe an ethos that is supposed to be associated with it, a 'always give as much as you receive' philosophy? Because why would it matter if the person posting something they want, has never given something on FC?

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#47 of 49 Old 01-30-2010, 01:29 AM

today's gem

"i have a freezer. it was here when we moved in we used it for a couple months but then it started to not keep things frozen. it's a white westhing house freezer. its white. nothing wrong with it except that it doesn't keep things frozen. it is slightly dirty please come take it away. we have a small garage and would like the space. thanks"

just what i need...

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#48 of 49 Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
I have no experience with Freecycle so I'm a little confused, as well. Is there maybe an ethos that is supposed to be associated with it, a 'always give as much as you receive' philosophy? Because why would it matter if the person posting something they want, has never given something on FC?
I wouldn't have a problem except that the people who never post anything are the same people who ask for large flat screen TVs, laptops younger than 2 years old preferably Mac but will take PC if it has office on it and has never had a virus, (no kidding these are listings I've seen in the past) that type of thing. And they ask for it over and over and over. I'm sorry, why do you need a blueray player again? I've never lived somewhere where the freecycle was so ridiculous as where I am right now. And the mods are doing a terrible job and are quite rude. needless to say, I'm not a member anymore and I don't mind taking my stuff to the Goodwill, since they opened one up down the street. The people are very nice and even help unload the car.

Quote:
today's gem

"i have a freezer. it was here when we moved in we used it for a couple months but then it started to not keep things frozen. it's a white westhing house freezer. its white. nothing wrong with it except that it doesn't keep things frozen. it is slightly dirty please come take it away. we have a small garage and would like the space. thanks"

just what i need...
!! What are you going to do with a broken freezer? Redneck lawn decoration?

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#49 of 49 Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 AM

i know right?!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page