PO'd at Freecycers here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please excuse me while I : ! I have moved three times in three years. With each new place I join the local freecycle asap, and post stuff that we don't need from our move (boxes, random junk, furniture that we dont have room for, etc) and I have NEVER been so rudely treated as I have been by this whole group. I posted a lot of stuff. I mean boxes of stuff. I had all sorts of replies, and arranged same or next day pu's for it all. I had three people show up. THREE. Out of a DOZEN. So I left the stuff there, thinking they would come by the next day, or that evening. Nope. Three days later ONE person emails me and says "uhh, had a busy Sunday [we arranged a pu on SATURDAY]can I pick it up tomorrow?" Not to mention, most people I've run into send you a polite email saying "oh, I'd like to have this because of x and y. I can pu on z at 0000." These people say "i'll take it. send me your address." And I'm sorry, that is just rude.

I'm going to try again, but then, who knows...I guess I'll have to load up the car and find a salvation army. But it's a pretty rich area, so I have no idea where it is...

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 49 Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 AM

I don't have much patience with Freecycle either. It seems people are the same all over. Yes, I want to get rid of my stuff, hence the posting on FC, but no, I don't want to hang on to it for another week while you decide whether or not to show up as you indicated... Grrrrrrr, right there with you. I'm not chasing you down to keep asking if you're coming. I'll ask once or twice and then you're SOL (assuming you actually DID want it) and you're also added to my "screw you" list, which is all the people that I will not respond to in the future. It's FREE stuff people; have the decency to follow through OR re-contact and say you're no longer interested for whatever reason.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#3 of 49 Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Our freecycle started moderating posts (so there is a delay before your post shows up). Great to get rid of spam, but when I want to post something on Sat. am, I would actually like it to get posted that weekend, thanks!

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#4 of 49 Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM

I'm a moderator on the Houston Freecycle board, which has over 15,500 members and FOUR moderators. My experience over the past 5 years has been mostly positive, but I, too, get rather aggravated by the minority who seem to think they are the only people who matter. I have my own list of people I won't even deal with.

Moderating helps with the spam and the people who can't read the rules. We *occasionally* get backed up when everyone has a life, but usually there's no more than a couple-hour delay. We take people off moderated status on a case-by-case basis after about 3 months.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#5 of 49 Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

It's a small group here, because our county is so large, we're split into 4 groups. And I am tired of being blown off, so I think I'll be leaving the group. I reoffered, and had a similar experience, I had a few more show up, but really it's getting absurd. I will be tracking down a goodwill tomorrow, since I don't have the space to store this stuff forever... I'm sad because I've had such good experiences in the past. And I hate to donate stuff to a place that charges poor people to have it. I'd much prefer to just pass it along to those in need with no charge. But I can't think of another way to get rid of this stuff without trashing it.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#6 of 49 Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 AM

you can also give free stuff on craigslist.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#7 of 49 Old 07-18-2009, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we have fc here too and i just stopped freecycling because of the reasons pp have mentioned. i moved on to another group county recycling program. and i load stuff into the car and drive to the freestore. or drop it off at a local traveler hangout depending on what it is. the freecycle thing was just outta hand. and its far far far over moderated. i think, in this one case, that the mods get their moment in the sun with their freecycle group.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#8 of 49 Old 07-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Sorry you've had a hard time of it.

Freecycle has been good to us, and we love it, although there are occasionally rude responders and no-shows (which just blows my mind), but that's just people, innit?

I have given away, and received many useful things that would otherwise have gone in the bin, and you can Freecycle some things that a charity shop wouldn't take (like half full tin of paint).

I've taken to posting my offered items asking respondents to include a telephone number and to indicate precisely when they'd like to pick up the item and it really helps weed out people as so few actually manage to do those two things in their reply. I don't go with the first reply, I generally go with the most polite.

I also find the "wanted" listings charming in their unbridled optimism and sheer moxie:

Wanted: Blue Smeg Refrigerator (clean); Wanted: Macbook pro laptop; Wanted: van with satnav...
#9 of 49 Old 07-18-2009, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen_esque View Post

Freecycle has been good to us, and we love it, although there are occasionally rude responders and no-shows (which just blows my mind), but that's just people, innit?

I have given away, and received many useful things that would otherwise have gone in the bin, and you can Freecycle some things that a charity shop wouldn't take (like half full tin of paint).

I've taken to posting my offered items asking respondents to include a telephone number and to indicate precisely when they'd like to pick up the item and it really helps weed out people as so few actually manage to do those two things in their reply. I don't go with the first reply, I generally go with the most polite.

I also find the "wanted" listings charming in their unbridled optimism and sheer moxie:

Wanted: Blue Smeg Refrigerator (clean); Wanted: Macbook pro laptop; Wanted: van with satnav...
No kidding! From the past two days: "Wanted: furniture for a small guest house...an L sofa, two end tables, a coffee table, 2 bedside tables and a fullsize bedframe and mattress..." and "Wanted: espresso machine in good working order"

#10 of 49 Old 07-18-2009, 09:55 PM

is it possible to list it in the free section of craigslist. I have put several items literally on our curb in boxes marked free and list it on craigslist. Some of it im sure is taken by craiglist people and some by people just driving by. I do include the caption...items still available if posting up to let people know that once its gone I'll remove the ad.
#11 of 49 Old 07-18-2009, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly, I've not tried craigslist, because the one here is so large (it encompasses the entire DC metropolitan area, which is DC, VA, and MD. So many people do not want to come out to the fringes where I am. I suppose I should try it at least. I ended up taking my things to the Salvation Army, because at least the proceeds towards funding various worthy community projects.

#12 of 49 Old 07-25-2009, 03:19 PM
crl

I've never tried freecycle. I just posted to Craigslist (in the DC metro area) with a list of the stuff, indicated it was free and at the curb, first come first serve and said "no need to knock, just take it." I deliberately did not give any way to contact me. Then I shoved it all out to the curb with "FREE" signs taped to stuff.

I was astounded at how fast everything disappeared. And I didn't have to deal with anyone. I modified the ad as stuff disappeared and took it down when everything was gone. I did this a couple of times before our last move.

Catherine
#13 of 49 Old 07-26-2009, 04:20 PM

I picked up my first Freecycle item today and I am quite pleased with the experience. I'm so glad the service is available.
#14 of 49 Old 07-26-2009, 05:22 PM
PJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
r moderated. i think, in this one case, that the mods get their moment in the sun with their freecycle group.
I agree, I agree, I agree!!!
#15 of 49 Old 07-30-2009, 04:03 PM
mlh

I totally hear your frustration with FC. I use it all the time and my result is usually 50/50 with having a pleasant experience or a frustrating one. My biggest complaint is when people just don't show up and then don't contact me to tell me they won't be coming. I have luckily found a woman through free cycle that takes most of my stuff and always picks up. It is so annoying when you try to do the right thing and it ends up a big pain in the butt. Don't give up though....

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#16 of 49 Old 07-30-2009, 04:06 PM

alrighty, i just had the best experience on freecycle. i gave away sooooo much stuff. and it worked out perfect. a total success.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#17 of 49 Old 07-30-2009, 07:08 PM

Freecycle is okay, sometimes it works, sometimes not. You don't have to give a reason if you don't want to, there's a reason no personal info is supposed to be included. You also don't have to give things to people who don't give a reason if you don't want to.

I do hate it when the mods yell at you all the time b/c you forgot a location by accident once (I mean like all capital letters three paragraphs of ranting). But I have managed to clear out my entire basement in one day of cleaning & posting. Plus once or twice I had such a good experience I almost cried, which is also nice. Like the time we gave the poor mom w/ 2 gluten intollerant boys a bread machine and she was so glad she was going to be saving like $30 a week on bread alone or the lady with throat cancer who had to drink smoothies but had no hand blender to use. That was awesome.

I personally don't go to the Salvo any more with my things, too many rules about not taking this today or not taking that. I take it to the local Helping Hands for the Homeless who will take ANYTHING.
#18 of 49 Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 PM

I LOVE freecycle but I do feel your pain. Sometimes I go out of my way to deliver things and then the people aren't home or whatever... it can be very annoying
I have certainly gotten rid of things that would have otherwise gone in the landfill though. It has been a great resource.

I have found that people will be more accountable if you have their phone number. I always ask for it before I give them directions to my house. I also won't arrange a p/u time that is later than the next day, and I make that clear in my post.
#19 of 49 Old 10-26-2009, 01:33 PM

I was going to say what I find the most annoying about our local group, but it's hard to narrow down!
I think my biggest peeve is that it's moderated and messages regularly do not get posted for up to TWO WEEKS! My gosh people, if you are THAT busy, then pass the job on to someone else who will actually DO the job.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#20 of 49 Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
I was going to say what I find the most annoying about our local group, but it's hard to narrow down!
I think my biggest peeve is that it's moderated and messages regularly do not get posted for up to TWO WEEKS! My gosh people, if you are THAT busy, then pass the job on to someone else who will actually DO the job.
Wow, that's crazy! Our group is moderated and I start to get antsy when it's been more than an hour.
#21 of 49 Old 10-27-2009, 12:29 PM

Freecycle is good & bad here. I've gotten rid of a TON of stuff. What peeves me the most is when you say "must pick up" then have people ask if you can meet them somewhere. Can you not read, people?

#22 of 49 Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 PM

We had one lady on our FC for about 2 years who was constantly just about to give birth to twins or triplets or her best friend was. That was a busy couple of years for her. Turns out that she had a stall at the local flea market and spent her weekdays trying to convince FC'ers to give her their things so she could turn around and sell them.
I don't mind that so much as I mind the fact that she responded to just about every one of the posts for 2 years claiming to be pregnant with multiples. That's some gestating she did!
Finally she got booted from the group.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#23 of 49 Old 10-30-2009, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am a Freecycle GODDESS. I give away mountains of stuff. Huge, crazy mountains of stuff and all I ask in return is that people be polite and they pick up when they say they will.

I have Freecycle rules:

1. Be polite. If you are rude to me in your email, I will delete it.

2. No sob stories. I will not read your life story. I will delete your email.

3. Pick up! If you say you will pick up on Saturday, pick up. Otherwise, it will be relisted.

And seriously, it is FREE! Be nice about it.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#24 of 49 Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 PM

Our freecycle group is crazy busy these days. I get so many people who want what I have. Is it the economy? Who knows.
And I don't often try to get something from freecyle anymore as we have too much stuff, but when I do, lately I haven't gotten anything I've been interested in. I think there are just so many people wanting it these days in our area.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced that.
#25 of 49 Old 10-30-2009, 10:35 PM

I posted a loveseat six weeks or so ago. It got picked up the second time I posted it (first was a no show). I just got an e-mail from someone asking if I had the sofa that goes with the loveseat. Um, if I did, and wanted rid of it, I would have mentioned that, so wouldn't it be safe to assume that either (a) I have it and want it, or (b) I don't have it. I never bothered responding.
#26 of 49 Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, now those are cajones!

#27 of 49 Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
It's a small group here, because our county is so large, we're split into 4 groups. And I am tired of being blown off, so I think I'll be leaving the group. I reoffered, and had a similar experience, I had a few more show up, but really it's getting absurd. I will be tracking down a goodwill tomorrow, since I don't have the space to store this stuff forever... I'm sad because I've had such good experiences in the past. And I hate to donate stuff to a place that charges poor people to have it. I'd much prefer to just pass it along to those in need with no charge. But I can't think of another way to get rid of this stuff without trashing it.
I feel I have no reason to think that people who use Freecycle need the stuff (as in, are poor and can't afford to buy it). Some people are trying to save money, some people are just cheap/greedy, and some people, like the PP said, are actually taking free stuff and going off and selling it! Personally, I'd rather donate to a charity that charges a nominal amount of the stuff and then uses the proceeds to help people who are truly in need. Sometimes that small amount they charge makes a difference between someone taking advantage of the system and not (i.e. a reseller is not as likely to buy something to resell when they get stuff for free, whereas a person who has limited funds may still be able to afford a $1 shirt). Although I do think Goodwill charges a lot for their stuff, they also employ a lot of disadvantaged people and create opportunities for them. I donate my items and only use Freecycle as a last resort for things that the charities can't or won't take.
#28 of 49 Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 PM

here we also have a free store attached to a church. although they dont require or make people pray or go to services before going to the store. i donate alot of stuff to st. stevens too. they help mostly women who are transitioning out of homelessness. so the needs are great but the donations are getting to be fewer, sorry to say.

#29 of 49 Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen_esque View Post

Same here. I always make a point of saying "please" when responding to an offer and finishing with "yours hopefully" or something similar. I've offered items that turned out to be really popular (20 + responses) and I always go with the most polite. TBH I usually just delete anything that reads along the lines of "we'll take it". I'd rather find another way to get rid of stuff. i do love freecycle but some people just have NO IDEA

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#30 of 49 Old 11-25-2009, 12:11 AM

I love to Freecycle, but I've gotten pickier recently.

Now I don't just give it to the first person who emails me, but I check to see if that person has also given away things on Freecycle. If they haven't, I wait a few hours and see what other responses I get.

That helps cut down on the no-shows somewhat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page