Leftover Wine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-22-2009, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
LZP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have about 6 open bottles of wine that are all partially full in my fridge right now. Sometimes, I might want one glass of wine and open a bottle, and then not want another glass for a few days, and then it just sits there.

I can only cook with so much wine, and I dont know if there is anything else i can do with all of this! it pains me to dump it, but what else can I do?!

does anyone know how long wine needs to sit to become wine vinegar, or if it's possible to do that at home?

any other ideas?

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#2 of 25 Old 09-23-2009, 11:13 AM

How about freezing it? You could either pour it into plastic bags or freeze in glass/plastic containers. I'm not sure if it would still be good for drinking but I'd definitely use it for cooking.
#3 of 25 Old 09-23-2009, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Wine should stay pretty good quite a while sealed. But if you want vinegar, you can leave a bottle open somewhere warm for like 2 weeks. Or put it in a wide mouthed 1 gallon jar, 1/4 full, closed generally but open about 30 minutes a day, and add wine as you use up vinegar.
#4 of 25 Old 09-25-2009, 12:42 AM

i'd love to make red wine vinegar! jamie, if you come back to this thread, could you clarify that last bit? do you mean add more wine from other bottles as you use up the vinegar you've made, or...?

#5 of 25 Old 09-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Add more fresh wine from bottles to the jar as you use the vinegar.
#6 of 25 Old 09-25-2009, 01:55 PM

We never have leftover wine LOL

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#7 of 25 Old 09-25-2009, 03:30 PM

brilliant! thanks!

lol gentle mommy

#8 of 25 Old 09-27-2009, 12:44 PM

I would freeze some in ice cube trays and then transfer to a storage bag in your freezer. Then next time you need to add some extra depth to a dish you can just toss in a couple of wine cubes.
#9 of 25 Old 09-29-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Add more fresh wine from bottles to the jar as you use the vinegar.

Does the vinegar float to the top or something? How do you add more wine to the vinegar without it mixing in? I am not understanding - sorry.
#10 of 25 Old 10-03-2009, 11:25 PM

You can cook with wine that has sat in the fridge for ages, and it won't damage the food at all. Apparently the flat, stale taste cooks out somehow. (according to a 4-star chef I used to know, who did this all the time)

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#11 of 25 Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle~Mommy :) View Post
Us either. lol. Good till the last drop.

praying.gif Angela married to DHsuperhero.gif......DDguitar.gif age 7 , DDblowkiss.gif age 5 ,  DSsleepytime.gif age 4 and sadly 2 angel.gif  in heaven, Catholic and ribbonwhite.gif with a dash of crunch: hang.gif    chicken3.gif  homeschool.gif

#12 of 25 Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 PM

I just read about freezing it in icecube trays and think it's a great idea.

Do you have a Houdini? It is a special plunger and plug system that will suck the air out of a bottle, keeping it fresh longer.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#13 of 25 Old 10-17-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothnurse3 View Post
Us either. lol. Good till the last drop.
Yeah, I saw the title of the thread and wondered huh, what's leftover wine?

#14 of 25 Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 AM

We use leftover red wine or wine we don't like to make sangria. Add some fruit juice, sliced fruit, a bit of sugar and some soda if you want. Pour over ice. Wonderful drink.
For white wine, I freeze in ice cube trays to cook with later, as mentioned above.
#15 of 25 Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenwhip View Post
I would freeze some in ice cube trays and then transfer to a storage bag in your freezer. Then next time you need to add some extra depth to a dish you can just toss in a couple of wine cubes.
That's what I was going to say!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#16 of 25 Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZP View Post
I have about 6 open bottles of wine that are all partially full in my fridge right now. Sometimes, I might want one glass of wine and open a bottle, and then not want another glass for a few days, and then it just sits there.
And today in problems in the first world...

How I would like to wonder what I can do with six open bottles of wine.

Maybe you could finish one bottle before you open another?
#17 of 25 Old 11-26-2009, 09:03 PM

White wine makes a lovely jelly with rosemary.

Then you can use it for a glaze for chicken etc.

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#18 of 25 Old 11-26-2009, 09:09 PM

I am cracking up because I so wanted to post "what is this leftover wine that you speak off?". you all beat me to it!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#19 of 25 Old 11-28-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
LZP

I totally forgot about this thread! thanks for the ideas about the wine cubes. I'll be doing that soon. (as soon as I get some cube trays!)

jessemoon- tell m more about this jelly, please!!! that does sound like it would make some fantastic glazes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrabella View Post
And today in problems in the first world...

How I would like to wonder what I can do with six open bottles of wine.

Maybe you could finish one bottle before you open another?
I guess I wasnt very clear, that the six bottles have been accumulating over the course of many MONTHS, and are usually the result of saying, "lets just have one more glass" after we've killed one bottle... and not really being able to have anymore. And as much as I might be tempted to drink a whole bottle of pinot by myself after a hard day, I think I'd be better served just saving it for cooking. (DH doesnt drink wine, so I'm on my own.)

so, i can't really finish the bottle that's been sitting in the fridge since July when i serve wine with Thanksgiving dinner.

I read up on making red wine vinegar at home, and have a crock on the counter now, but things don't seem to be progressing as well as I'd like. maybe it isn't warm enough? that's another thread I guess! the white wine I had consolidated into two bottles, but have opened another bottle since. and add to that the red wine from Thursday that we were all too full to finish.. dont worry, it's only Saturday, so i think i can make it through before the end of the weekend.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#20 of 25 Old 11-28-2009, 03:28 PM
mlh

Freezing wine is such a great idea!

I too am never in need of what to do with leftover wine! I would suggest having a friend over to help you finish it! Or you could buy those small individual bottles if you aren't too picky about your wine.

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#21 of 25 Old 11-28-2009, 07:35 PM

If you don't usually have a lot of wine in one sitting, try buying it by the box. It sounds counter-intuitive as it is much more than just a bottle, but it stays fresh way longer because it isn't exposed to the air (there is a little spiggot thing). You can easily have a glass or two a day, or every few days, or once a week, and it is fine. We have had boxes last over three months without issue, and there are some pretty good choices out there in boxed wine these days.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#22 of 25 Old 11-28-2009, 09:01 PM

I've heard of trick where you pour oil - any kind of mild-tasting cooking oil - over the top of the wine. This shields it from air, and it stays good longer. When you want another glass, you just pour the oil off the top, though this actually sounds much easier than I think it is!

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#23 of 25 Old 01-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Bota Box wine is great for those of you who just want like a glass of wine every night or so. It stays fresh for about a month and a box is equal to 4 bottles. I love the Merlot.
#24 of 25 Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 PM

we'll have to try freezing it, and perhaps we'll make vinegar as well. We too have like 6 half open bottles in the fridge. well, we did. they went bad. inedibly bad. I won't drink day old red wine, it tastes oxidized to me. (yes, I'm a snob.) DP will drink older wine, but we don't drink that much wine. (Never a whole bottle in one night between the two of us.)

I wont cook with older wine either (so freezing might be good.) DP will, but I don't think it tastes as good, and don't think you should cook with wine that isn't totally drinkable.

If only they sold GOOD wine with a large selection in those little half-size bottles. I cook with wine a lot more than I drink it. (I'm so trying to freeze our next bottle's leftovers, since it would be great to have wine to cook with stored.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#25 of 25 Old 04-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle~Mommy :) View Post
ditto

If we do, I usually just have a bit which gets used in cooking.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page