Silly poll: Would you reuse bathwater? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you reuse bathwater in this scenario?
Sure! 56 25.45%
Nope! 164 74.55%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2009, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think bathing your kid less often is far preferable to making him sit in nasty, used, bactera-ridden water. Ick.

As far as the "Little House on the Prairie" scenario goes, even they changed the water for each person!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLotus View Post
As far as the "Little House on the Prairie" scenario goes, even they changed the water for each person!
Are you sure? I mean, I don't have the book in front of me but I thought they just each took a turn in the same water. While using the same water as another person doesn't sound exactly luxurious to me, it seems reasonable.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
no I would not leave bathwater sitting in a tub for an extended period of time because it is a drowing hazard. Your son could slip off on his own, get into the tub and drown.
:
Old 10-22-2009, 04:06 PM

We have a combined shower/bath, and when my son wants to just play in the water I'll stop up the drain while I take my shower, have him sit in there with me where the water isn't falling directly on him, and let him splash around while I'm washing. And he can stay in after I'm done if he's so inclined. He gets his water playtime and "bath" and we're not using any more water than we would have otherwise.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:05 PM

I grew up in the desert so I feel a little protective of water and I can understand this. If the baby goes first we'll add more for the 2 and 4 year old (they bathe together). So, yes, I would
Old 10-22-2009, 05:13 PM

We reuse water between kids all the time, but leaving it in the tub a day or two - no. In all honesty, that would be more for the safety/drowning issue with little ones than worrying about bacteria though.

I second the bucket/shallow bath idea.

Annie '02, Juliet '04, Natalie '07, Maggie '08, Theodore 11/8/10.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post
Are you sure? I mean, I don't have the book in front of me but I thought they just each took a turn in the same water. While using the same water as another person doesn't sound exactly luxurious to me, it seems reasonable.
Yes. We're reading Big Woods right now, and it struck me that they *didn't* reuse water from one person to the next. I would have expected that they would, but each person got fresh (and freshly heated, in wintertime) water for their weekly bath.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope. Drowning risk, and bacteria growth.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLotus View Post
I think bathing your kid less often is far preferable to making him sit in nasty, used, bactera-ridden water. Ick.

No, they didn't. But they all bathed in the same night, one right after the other, cleanest to dirtiest. They may have topped it off a bit, with warmer water, but they certainly didn't change it. Water took firewood, and firewood was a precious commodity. not to mention the hauling of the water./
Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 PM

So how long are u planning on just adding hot water to the tub before changing? If it was just one or 2 reuses I can't see a problem. Anymore than that and it gets a bit icky for me. I don't think the water would be stinky or nasty after a day or 2.

caffix.gif

Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 PM

I understand the water saving mentality but I wouldn't do this. Bacteria heaven for sure.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 PM

Eeeeewwwwwwww.

+ = and .
Old 10-22-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I do have my kids get in eachother baths immediatley following one another ala Little house on the Prairie.
I also reuse bath water for plants / lawn / etc etc

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 10-22-2009, 11:18 PM

No way would I let it sit and reuse it because of the bacteria that will breed in it, yuck. Also it's a drowning hazard that is totally avoidable. Why not just skip the bath every other night? My kids only get a bath once or twice a week in the winter and I wash my baby and toddler first and then add hot water for my son or I jump in with my girls and my son takes a shower. We actually pay a lot for water where we are ( out in the country) but it's still only three cents a gallon, I don't think the risks you are taking is worth the money saved, sorry.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I don't think that is sanitary at all. Even soap free bubble bath has other chemicals and it leaves a nasty residue that is hard to get off. I used to use tap water to fill my fish tank with and it would get snails in it so I don't think I would store water for long at all.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
No, they didn't. But they all bathed in the same night, one right after the other, cleanest to dirtiest. They may have topped it off a bit, with warmer water, but they certainly didn't change it. Water took firewood, and firewood was a precious commodity. not to mention the hauling of the water./
I've always heard (from people who grew up that way) that they actually did it dad, then mom, then kids oldest to youngest with the baby last. So more like dirtiest to cleanest if you ask me lol. That's where the saying "don't throw out the baby with the bathwater" came from because by the time the baby was "washed" the water was so dirty you could hardly see them.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 10-23-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
I'm pretty sure DD pees in the bath so I wouldn't.
Isn't urine actually sterile, anyway? And I know I've read somewhere that it's actually good for your skin (because of the content of urea?)... so wouldn't that just improve the bathwater?

I would reuse bathwater on the same day, but not save it overnight. I'm not as concerned about the germ factor, but the drowning risk (thanks to PP for thinking of that, it didn't even occur to me) would be too scary. Plus, I suspect that standing water would leave a killer dirt ring in the tub to scrub later.

Could you put your LO in a smaller tub to conserve water? Like a small baby bathtub inside the regular tub? If he doesn't mind being confined to a smaller tub, you'd use a lot less water that way.

ETA: Sorry to repeat what PP's have said. I should have read the thread all the way through to the end first. Sorry!

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 10-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Moving to Reduce reuse recycle.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
Old 10-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Agreed, the bath routine in Japan is very different, not even applicable to what the OP described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
My kids get a bath once a week- even though it's fun, perhaps you could limit his bath taking since he's not really dirty.
Totally agreed. Your son doesn't actually need to bathe that often. Since water is a premium, rather than having him play around in yesterday's icky water, he should bathe less often.

Great discussion!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Actually, I have the book in front of me , and it reads: "Laura was bathed first, because she was littler than Mary. She had to go to bed early on Saturday nights, with Charlotte, because after she was bathed and put into her clean nightgown, Pa must empty the washtub and fill it with snow again for Mary's bath. Then after Mary came to bed, Ma had her bath behind the blanket, and then Pa had his. And they were all clean, for Sunday." (bolding mine, of course)

It also says that in the summer, they bathed in water from the spring.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermom View Post
Actually, I have the book in front of me , and it reads: "Laura was bathed first, because she was littler than Mary. She had to go to bed early on Saturday nights, with Charlotte, because after she was bathed and put into her clean nightgown, Pa must empty the washtub and fill it with snow again for Mary's bath. Then after Mary came to bed, Ma had her bath behind the blanket, and then Pa had his. And they were all clean, for Sunday." (bolding mine, of course)

It also says that in the summer, they bathed in water from the spring.
Who is Charlotte? Is that Carrie?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:05 PM

Charlotte is her doll.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
Old 10-23-2009, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Isn't Charlotte the doll? Ma made Laura give Charlotte to her little cousin. Then Laura found the doll dumped in a puddle or something and Ma fixed it up and gave it back to Laura.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:10 PM

I reused tubwater by using it for the first rinse for the diaper laundry, then followed by a hot/cold wash with soap.

But no, in the scenario you're discussing I wouldn't.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 PM

i voted no although my kiddies do use the same bath water when batheing one after the other but i wouldn't re use day old bath water.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 10-23-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Regarding the Little House stories, all I know is it says "Laura was bathed first...Pa must empty the washtub and fill it with snow again for Mary's bath", etc. (That's from Little House in the Big Woods). And in Farmer Boy, "Alice would empty the tub and wash it before she bathed in it. Then Eliza Jane would empty Alice's, and Royal would empty Eliza Jane's, and Mother would empty Royal's," etc.

I agree it was very tough to get hot water in those days, and I'm sure some families didn't empty it. But in Laura's books, they did.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I may use the water on my houseplants, but not as another bath....

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 10-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Oh, I just saw that someone else also put down what it says in the first Little House book. But anyway, yeah - even in those days, there were certain standards of cleanliness...
Old 10-23-2009, 04:45 PM

No for so many reasons. Drowning risk, E. coli, sediment rings in the bath tub. I would reuse the water for some other purpose, but not leave it in the bathtub for the next bath.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 PM

Nope. For all the reasons already listed: drowning risk, bacteria growth, dead skin cells and/or pee in the water, using a lot of hot to warm it back up, etc.

I haven't read all the responses, but here's an idea for water reuse: get a bunch of empty gallon jugs and fill them up with the used bathwater. Leave them by the toilets, and use them to flush instead of the handle. You basically just open the tank, pull the valve chain to open it and flush it, then fill the tank up with the saved water (oh yeah, you'll have to shut the water off underneath the toilet, otherwise it'll automatically fill itself back up). I suggest the gallon jugs instead of buckets because I wouldn't want open buckets of water sitting in my bathroom - there's that drowning hazard again, and besides, jugs are easier to lift and pour into the tank.

Just a thought.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

User Tag List