Silly poll: Would you reuse bathwater? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you reuse bathwater in this scenario?
Sure! 56 25.45%
Nope! 164 74.55%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 109 Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No way!

In a case of extreme conservation efforts, I might use the water to water my lawn/plants, to give the dogs a bath or for mopping.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#92 of 109 Old 10-26-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post
I think if any water is wasted in our home, it is the toilet water. If you go to Europe and other countries, toilets have very little water in them. I think toilet bowls in the U.S. are set to hold too much water. Think how much money is being flushed down the toilet!

We live in Europe, and for the record I HATE these "low flow" toilets when I'm trying to clean out a dirty cloth diaper. The rest of the time, they're very efficient!

And no, I wouldn't re-use bath water. I wouldn't even drink a glass of water that had been sitting out for 2 days...dust and bugs or other creepy crawlies would be in it in the very least.
#93 of 109 Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I wouldn't reuse it as you describe, but I do have my kids get in eachother baths immediatley following one another ala Little house on the Prairie.
:

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#94 of 109 Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM

After just reading the first post, I voted no. Standing water at tepid temperatures in even the best conditions can harbor all kinds of harmful bacteria and viruses, and culture there to dangerous levels. I am not a "germ-o-phobe" in any way, but I think that just leans toward dangerous unless there were something in the water (like there is with pools for example) to keep the water sanitary.

I think there are ways to reuse bath water that don't involve sitting in it or drinking it. You can water plants, water your yard, put it in the back of your toilet tank when you're ready to flush (maybe just keep a few pitchers of old bath water there for easy access). If you make your own cleaners from concentrates (like Lysol or or Bleach) you could conceivably use old bath water to make the cleaner with, for spray bottles, mopping, etc (this would work, I think, because the lysol or bleach would kill off most of the bad cultures).

I would suggest maybe filling the tub half way so you still only use half as much water, instead of keeping water for two days. My 2-cents.

*EDITED TO ADD* We do bath consecutively, one after the other. We won't do the whole family, but 3 of us can bathe without the ick factor. I wish we had a bigger tub that could fit all of us (i swear they installed the "mini tub" here lol), and then we'd all bathe together, every 3 days. We used to do that in the house that had a bigger tub.
#95 of 109 Old 10-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Yew

We reuse water daily.

My husband takes a bath every morning. After he is done, little Holly gets in. Usually Oak and Rowan will share bathwater as well. Apple and I still bathe together of course, she's still just a babe.

Also, I'll use bathwater for hand washing. We do have a washer, but occasionally we've been very tight on power, do to days of cloudy weather. There have been many times I've had to wash necessary clothing by hand, including diapers. In these instances, used bathwater is perfect for a wash load. Horrible for my back, but what can you do? I've never gotten the hang of EC.

Also, I use second-hand water for bathing the dog and cat (yes, I have to bathe the cat, Bristlecone is allergic, so I have to tend her coat in numerous ways).

I also will use bathwater for watering plants (we use natural soaps, and after reading some random articles about using a little bit of dish soap in your watering can = happy healthy plants, we decided to give it a try), they love it.

I think that's about it... then it goes into our gray water drain, to water the outdoor plants.

I agree that *leaving* bathwater is too much of a drowning hazard though. No water is that expensive.
#96 of 109 Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 PM

I did not vote because my answer could be both. I would reuse the water if my kid wanted to take more than one bath a day. Then I would discard it at the end of the day. I often use the same bath water for all three kids one right after another. I am sure when they get older they will oind this disgusting!

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#97 of 109 Old 10-29-2009, 06:04 PM

Maybe not after I read through the posts- did not think about drowning.

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#98 of 109 Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We reused water all the time when I was a kid and water conservation was a huge part of living in the desert. My mom would bathe and then the kids would all jump in after her.

After our bath, we would haul the water out to the garden where water was always in demand.

Not sure I would leave the water in the tub for future bathing, but I could see filling a bucket or gallon jugs for toilet flushing, plant use, laundry, general washing up....water is a precious resource and you are right to be thinking about conserving whether it be for the $ or the planet.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#99 of 109 Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltic_ballet View Post
No, but if you don't want to waste the water you could use a bucket and water your plants with it. Have you thought about setting up a grey water tank? the water from your toilet , hand basin, bath/shower, kitchen, laundry are stored in a tank and you can use it to water your garden but just not on veggies or any edible plants.
this!!! grey water tank is the best way to reuse your water-a family of four can save over 30,000 gallons of water a year!!

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#100 of 109 Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I wouldn't reuse it as you describe, but I do have my kids get in eachother baths immediatley following one another ala Little house on the Prairie.
Me too
#101 of 109 Old 12-21-2009, 11:25 PM

If I HAD to do it, I would.
I don't see the big deal.
I grew up in the UK and the bath water was reused. First me, then my older brother, then my mom, then my dad.
People have lived with a lot more adversity than not having fresh bath water.

and
#102 of 109 Old 12-31-2009, 02:39 PM

What if you just get a smaller tub to fill? Maybe a small wash basin? You could fill that 3 or 4 times with fresh, clean water every time for your toddler instead of using water that's sat stagnant with things like dead skin & fecal mater in it. My concern with stagnant bath water is bacteria/microbial growth. Reusing water that's been previously used to bathe and then left to sit could increase the risk of things like skin infections or UTI's. I guess if you run with the theory and relate it to the issues whirl pools have been accused of having... Once the water is re-heated and the steam or water vapor is inhaled, it could cause something like a lung infection too. It's a stretch, but who knows.

Basically, I vote for using a smaller tub and using that water to flush toilets or water flowers.... Still not a fan of that? Maybe try sponge baths every other bath day or taking a bath with your toddler.
#103 of 109 Old 12-31-2009, 02:46 PM

okay, I voted yes before i read the OP. OOOPS. I was thinking reusing it as in one child takes a bath and then another child takes one after. I did that all the time when my kids were smaller. But they way you are talking, i would not reuse it in that way because of the standing water.

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#104 of 109 Old 12-31-2009, 11:28 PM

I voted no, but I do either take a bath with my kids or use their water for my own bath. I have 2 girls ages 3 and 6. I have a large tub and don't want to waste water.
#105 of 109 Old 12-31-2009, 11:30 PM

When I give our dog a bath, I usually wait until after I have given DS a bath and just use the same water to bathe the dog, so I guess I kind of reuse it.

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#106 of 109 Old 01-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'd reuse it to give a second kid a bath right after, or to water the garden, but nope never leave it sitting.
#107 of 109 Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I voted no...although if my tub was plumbed to go to an outdoor "rain barrel" type of thing, then I would not mind using for things like watering and washing the car or any other outside purpose.
But currently it would be too much of a hassle re-use unless of course I did a bath (which I don't) and then soaked soiled clothes in the tub when I was done.
But I probably would not use it for most indoor tasks....

After reading other posts...
I would and have re-used bath water with the kids. But it was just because they bathed either at the same time or right after each other. I would not store it to re-use it.

It also reminds me of my last home birth. I pre-filled the kiddie pool that I had bought to birth in and it sat for a few days(possibly a week..I don't remember) and it got really really slimy and nasty. I had to empty it and wipe it all down and re-sanitize it and such. Then when I felt like it was closer to the time. I filled the bath with hot water the night before I birthed and by the next morning when I got in at around 6-7am it was horribly cold and took A LOT of HOT water to be added to it to even make it feel the least bit warm. Now yes the kiddie pool is a little bigger than a bath tub but I think it would still have simular results and not be very useful. I personally would just bathe less. It may sound gross but I only actually fully submerge bathe once a week and just "sponge" bathe the rest of the time. If I notice my hair looking greasy...then I just quickly wash my hair in the sink. But I have realized that when I eat heathly I do not get greasy and stinky. I can even go without deordorant when I eat healthy....but I can tell that when I eat junk for an extended amount of time that my hair and skin get nasty sooner and that my sweat stinks...and there is more of it.
I know we are talking about a little kid here and BO is probably not a huge issue and I kind of gather that the bath is more for pleasure than hygiene....then I would just have to say either play it tough and cut down on bath time and do more sponge baths or just convince yourself that is happiness, safety and hygiene is more important than saving a little money and water. The choice is yours.....but if I was you, I probably would not keep the water for over a day for rebathing.
#108 of 109 Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Banned

might be a good idea to break him of the bath habit in general if possible. i have moved to sponge bathing myself and DS each day and showering myself every 3rd day when my hair needs washing, and then also washing DS's hair once a week or so.

i have found that this saves a LOT of water.

my next step is to have a floor/foot pedal placed in the shower so that i can turn it on and get wet, then step on the pedal to turn the water off, and then step on it to rinse, and so on--using even less water. it works really nicely when i've had this sort of shower in other places. i really liked it.

i really value water, even though i live in a very wet place.

when i do bath DS and myself--with a basin and wash cloth--i water plants with that water. i do the same with sink water. i want to do grey-water recycling too. . .but that's a whole other issue.
#109 of 109 Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Sure I would. But Im not worried about my treated bathwater growing bacteria in my clean bathtub over night. Call me a freak, but that is the last thing that comes to my mind. How much hot water I would have to use to warm the cold water up is the first thing, it would prob. equal the amount for a new bath.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page