Silly poll: Would you reuse bathwater? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you reuse bathwater in this scenario?
Sure! 56 25.45%
Nope! 164 74.55%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is actually stemming from a serious conversation, and I'm curious to hear some other peoples' opinions on this one:

DS is a fairly clean toddler who loves the bath. Water is very expensive where we live and we feel that it is also a precious commodity in general, so we try to limit the baths to no more than every other day, though DS would take one every day if he could. We use a soap-free bubble bath which dissipates by the end of the bath, otherwise no soaps or lotions of any kind in the water. DS splashes around for 20-30 minutes and then comes out. So here is the proposed scenario...

On Day 1, we wouldn't drain the tub. So no different for DS really. Day 2, we would add hot water to heat the tub and end with a "clean rinse".

Would you do this? Is it even sanitary? Of course this would not apply on dirty days where washing is necessary, but those are few and far between around here.

{For the record, I am not advocating this, just asking!!!}
#2 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 AM

No way would I do this. I think that germs breed in sitting water (i might be wrong) but even if that weren't a factor, I would find it really disgusting for myself to get into a bath that I had already been in that has been sitting for a day. So since I wouldn't do it for myself, I wouldn't do it for my kids.
#3 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, I'm sorry but I don't think that would be a good idea. Bacteria grows and multiplies over time, and you could run into trouble. And, it is just kinda gross! Maybe put less water in the tub or add another day in between if you want to save water...
#4 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 AM

Wait...you live in the Chicago suburbs??? I am near by...you would be saving maybe a few pennies!
#5 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:18 AM

no I would not leave bathwater sitting in a tub for an extended period of time because it is a drowing hazard. Your son could slip off on his own, get into the tub and drown. Also, I think the amount of hot water you would have to add to the cold water to warm it up would be almost equal to the amount of water for a new bath.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#6 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:20 AM

I wouldn't reuse it as you describe, but I do have my kids get in eachother baths immediatley following one another ala Little house on the Prairie.
#7 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post
Wait...you live in the Chicago suburbs??? I am near by...you would be saving maybe a few pennies!
Nope, I wish. The suburb we live in charges more than double any other Chicago suburb. It would be substantial.
#8 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Banned

Sounds like a great way to grow a brand new mold or mildew colony in your tub every other night. Even if your guy isn't "dirty", bathing still sheds sweat and dead skin cells, which are awesome food for bacteria.

A resounding "no".
#9 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 AM

Okay, still double...have you really figured out how much you'd save? I have figured out roughly what water costs figuring that we do about 20 loads of wash a week (cloth diapers which you have to wash twice, plus an extra rinse) which is a huge water guzzler, plus run the dw daily, and three people bathe daily here and even if I doubled it, it still would be a few cents for a little bath (we pay around $50/month for water as pretty heavy users). Not that it isn't a noble cause to be saving resources like water...just that it is probably not the most sanitary way to do so.
#10 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 AM

Just a thought - one way I conserve water is by not flushing the toilet all the time (unless it is #2). I got tired of telling the kids to flush all the time and I read on this board in the environmental section that not flushing "the yellow" was a way to help conserve water. So it was a win/win situation - no more fighting with the kids and also helping the environment.
#11 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 AM

I do consecutive (or simultaneous) baths in the same water with my kiddos, but I would not reuse water that had been sitting for a day.

Have you thought about doing shallower baths instead? My grandma always bathed us in water that was maybe two or three inches deep, out of frugality, and I don't remember it bothering us to bathe in less water at her house. We still had fun playing in the bath just the same.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#12 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 AM

Could you bathe in his water? maybe you one night and dh the next night (so the two of you are still bathing every other day). Wather sitting over night is going to be realllllly cold the next day and will need a substantial amount of water to warm it up anyway (3/4 of the tub?). What else could you use the water for so you are not just wasting it? watering plants? hand washing/presoaking clothes? mopping floors?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#13 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 AM

I would rather skip a bath than take one in day old used bath water. Yuck. Also, since you'd be adding hot water and doing the "clean rinse," I don't think you'd be saving that much water if any really.

coolshine.gif

#14 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also think you risk trouble with unsanitary water. Even if he is clean when he goes into the tub, dead skin cells and body oils will be left in the water. I wouldn't do it.

If you really want to conserve water, I'd look into systems that re-use grey water from sinks, showers and tubs, install dual flush or low flow toilets, and install raintanks. Replace old appliances with water conserving dishwashers and washing machines.

If you don't want installation costs for these systems or appliances, there are some simple conservation practices you can use. For example, use a bucket in the shower to catch the first, cold spray before the water turns warm and you step in - and use that bucket of water for watering the garden, or for housecleaning. Limit shower time. Don't run the tap while you brush your teeth. There are lots of ways to save water.
#15 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I wouldn't reuse it as you describe, but I do have my kids get in eachother baths immediatley following one another ala Little house on the Prairie.
but I do add water for the 4-year old.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#16 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 AM

I'm pretty sure DD pees in the bath so I wouldn't.

obstruct livery vehicles

#17 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
Yep, this was the dealbreaker for me!!
#18 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 AM

No way.

If you are really worried about cost why not give a bath in the sink? Or even a wash tub? My grandma and mom did this when my sister and I were little and it was fun.

Both of my kids have enjoyed it too.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#19 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 AM

I'm gonna say... No.

My kids do shower/bathe together, though, and that I have no issue with, but dirty water sitting around for another day seems icky to me. I'd rather just bathe them even less often than I already do, if I had an urge to save water that much.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#20 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
No way.

If you are really worried about cost why not give a bath in the sink? Or even a wash tub? My grandma and mom did this when my sister and I were little and it was fun.
Both of my kids have enjoyed it too.
I used to walk into the kitchen to find my youngest having a lovely time sitting in the sink. Now I put 2 kids in the shower together and my youngest has a shallow bath.
#21 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
Exactly what I was going to type too.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#22 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 01:19 AM

To conserve water, we bathe all our kids (sans infant) in a bucket. First the 2 year old has his bath, then the 3 year old, and then the 5 year old gets the bucket topped off with hotter water.

Bucket-baths do three wonderful things:
1. Save TONS of water. The amount we use doesn't even come close to filling the tub.
2. Keeps the water warmer longer, because there's less surface area to allow for cooling. GREAT in winter months when kids get chilly fast in a shallow pool of water.
3. Gives the kids a nice soak in a spa-like environment so they're relaxed and toasty before bed.
4. I had to edit to add a fourth wonderful thing: The bathtub gets scummy/dirty waaaay less often, which means less cleaning for me!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...bucketgirl.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...s/killian1.jpg

ETA: To answer the OP, no, I would not let my kids bathe in day-old standing water, esp considering that toddlers tend to pee in their bathwater.
#23 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 AM

Absolutely we often reuse our bath water. Here in Japan a lot of families reuse their bath water. They make covers to go over the bath and we have a button we can push that reheats the water. We keep ours in for 2 days before making new water. We do wash with soap before getting in the bath (you don't use soap in the baths here. . .baths are for soaking not for washing), most of the time the kids get out of the bath to pee (we have a whole room for bathing, the shower is separate from the bath so they just pee down the shower drain). If the water looks icky of course we change it. . .but otherwise, I see nothing wrong with reusing!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#24 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 01:44 AM

If I did that at our house I am pretty sure we'd have a quite moldy bathroom. It's wet enough here in the wintertime.

Also, if my DS knew it was there, he'd want to be in the bathtub every time we went into the bathroom, all day long... and that wouldn't be a fun fight all day long...

Immediate recycling, YES. Overnight, no.

Tjej
#25 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
no I would not leave bathwater sitting in a tub for an extended period of time because it is a drowing hazard. Your son could slip off on his own, get into the tub and drown. Also, I think the amount of hot water you would have to add to the cold water to warm it up would be almost equal to the amount of water for a new bath.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#26 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 01:47 AM

No.

1. Mold/mildew. Have you ever actually smelled even clean bath water that has been sitting for a very long time? Not a nice fragrance.

2. Pee in the water. I bet your DS pees in the water at least half the time, even if you don't notice.

3. Drowning hazard. You'd have to somehow lock your bathroom so that he couldn't get in there and fall into the tub full of water.
#27 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 AM

No.

If you are mostly concerned with saving water, have him shower with you. DS does this with me.

If it is the playing with water aspect that he likes, just fill the tub with less water, like a couple of inches. DS loves playing in water, and a couple of inches is all he needs for a good ol' time.

love.gif

#28 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 02:50 AM

DS always pees in the water.

DH would be annoyed if he couldn't take a shower, b/c I was saving old bath water.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#29 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 03:00 AM

I wouldn't re-use the water the way you're describing, but we do bathe together, or if I just do a soak then sometimes DD will get in when I'm ready to get out. We also let the water cool in the tub (helps heat up the house), and then we scoop water out for the plants. I feel guilty wasting water, too. Sometimes I'll pre-soak or handwash my delicates in the tub water when I'm done as well.

Happy and in love with my family!
#30 of 109 Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 AM

No, but if you don't want to waste the water you could use a bucket and water your plants with it. Have you thought about setting up a grey water tank? the water from your toilet , hand basin, bath/shower, kitchen, laundry are stored in a tank and you can use it to water your garden but just not on veggies or any edible plants.

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page