Is recycling a scam? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had this debate a number of times and would like to know what you all think?

In my experience we have alwasy either had to pay for recycling to be picked up curbside (no sorting but no glass curbside) or have to dive to a recycling center and sort our stuff. Either way we we would be paying, in money or time/work, to have someone else sell our recycling off to be recycled into something new. On top of that you have the vast majority of recycling leaving the country, usually on a boat, to be recycled into something new in a different country. How green is that as far as fuel used, manpower, etc. And how green is the process of recycling itself, making something old into something new? I imagine there is a lot of energy used which results in pollution.

Awhile back I heard about how China was not buying up our recycling anymore, or not as much, because the recession in this country affected the number of new products China was selling to the US, the new products having been packaged in our old recylables. And many of the recyclables that China was not buying, that Americans had paid to recycle, were being tossed into landfills. DH even said that at his work the cost of recycling cardboard had jump dramatically for this vary same reason, because it was had to resell.

In our home we try not to have things to recycle. I reuse just about every single glass jar that comes in. It bothers me a little that I pay so much for a item then give it away to someone else to make money off of. I know it's not much money to me but in the long run someone is getting rich off of it.
#2 of 26 Old 11-07-2009, 10:58 AM

My DH recently said he'd heard that a large percentage--can't remember how much--of our recycling is put into landfills. That's all i know. So i've been wondering.
#3 of 26 Old 11-07-2009, 11:09 AM

It really depends on where you live, I think. I lived in Corvallis, OR for college, and they were AWESOME about recycling. Totally committed to getting it reused. They even took styrofoam and aseptic containers, it was awesome.

Now I live in south TX (yuck) and I'm pretty sure that they don't really care. You REALLY have to hunt to find a recycling container around here, though some neighborhoods do have curbside.

I didn't read all the way through it, but the Wikipedia article on "Recycling" looks pretty comprehensive; you might want to check it out.

My problem with recycling is that yes, it is a good idea, and I totally support it, even if it isn't utilized 100%, because the idea of it is so important to me, but some people think that they are "saving the Earth" by recycling. And then they still drive gas-guzzlers, live in huge houses, fertilize and pesticide their lawns, eat environmentally-damaging food, etc., but still think that they are being "green" because they recycle. Recycling has been touted as this great thing, and it's a great component of a reduced carbon footprint lifestyle, but it cannot be it, you know?

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#4 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 AM

I don't have an answer, but am concerned about this myself so I try my hardest to REDUCE first and then REUSE as much as possible. That's the only things I can figure out how to do to avoid trash and recycling. I have a feeling most things are not recycled in the end.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#5 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 10:33 AM

I don't think it is a scam, at least not where I live. We don't pay (well, we do through municipal taxes of course, but that is like with everything)

Last year we visited a recycling plant (where they separate the recycling since we don't separate glass/paper/plastic etc at home) and they were very stingy about who they then sell the recycling too to make sure that everything really does get recycled. Even the broken glass (nearly dust sized pieces) are all piled up and when they reach a certain weight they are sold to the company that recycles glass...

They also choose local companies for all the distribution.

The only things that get dumped into the garbage are the pieces of plastic with no recycling number on them since it would cost too much to test each piece to figure out where it is going. Whatever has the recycling sign with the number though can and is recycled.

Other things that make it in the landfill are things that can not be recycled (we saw stuffed animals, toys, small appliances etc coming off the trucks)

Anyway, I don't think it is a scam around here...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#6 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
My problem with recycling is that yes, it is a good idea, and I totally support it, even if it isn't utilized 100%, because the idea of it is so important to me, but some people think that they are "saving the Earth" by recycling. And then they still drive gas-guzzlers, live in huge houses, fertilize and pesticide their lawns, eat environmentally-damaging food, etc., but still think that they are being "green" because they recycle. Recycling has been touted as this great thing, and it's a great component of a reduced carbon footprint lifestyle, but it cannot be it, you know?
Excellent point. Just because you can recycle the container it came in, for eg. plastic water bottles, doesn't make them green by any stretch of the imagination.

I know that people think this because I used to be think like this, that recycling is good enough. When in fact Reduce is the best of the three R's.

Having said that, I think recycling plays a very important role even if it's not as clean or green as it should be. It is helping us along the way to a zero waste week.
#7 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Recycling isn't the "best" of the "3 Rs". If anything, it's the least important, as it comes third.

However, it's the easiest for people in this "disposable society" to implement. Toss the empty package in the recycling bin instead of in the trash, rather than having to actually make any changes (bring water in a stainless steel bottle instead of buying a plastic one while you're out.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#8 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 AM

Some numbers here about embodied energy in various products:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embodied_energy

When you recycle glass, you save 60% in energy costs compared to making "new" glass.
Steel: 33% energy saving for recycled vs "new" (that energy comes from coal fired power plants )
Aluminum: 95% less energy
Paper: the energy savings are not so great, but fewer trees get cut down

Anywhere in the USA, it costs money to dispose of waste. The price per ton for disposal or recycling is much lower for paper, glass, or plastic than it is for trash. Aluminum, steel and copper, of course can be sold.
#9 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM

i know at my office, even though i take pains to put all the paper into the recycling bin, it just gets dumped into the dumpster. we've complained, but i'm not sure the cleaning crew is doing anything differently. i try to recycle everything i can, but i have read that the BEST thing to recycle is aluminum, the next best glass, and then cardboard. i've heard arguments that recycling paper is just as bad as producing new due to the harsh chemicals used, but that was probably a biased source. i agree that reusing is the most important R, followed by reducing. if you can get those two going strong, there won't be a whole lot left over to recycle

Lisa mama to Adrian born 3/09 by unnecessarean
#2 is coming in May 2011! planning for a home vbac.gif
#10 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
i agree that reusing is the most important R, followed by reducing.
I think it's the other way around, reducing is the most important. Then reusing.
#11 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
It's trendy. It's also trendy to drive SUV's, shop like mad and buy Starbucks every morning.

Has anyone watched the Penn and Teller Bullsh*t episode on recycling? What did you think?

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#12 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Anomaly, good question! If you live where I live (noticed Duke City as your location) I've heard that waste management ships all the curbside recycling up to Denver to sort. That is all I know about it from a local aspect.

We do recycle whatever we possibly can, but I have often wondered about the impact. Great discussion - I'm interested in reading more.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 01:25 PM

I didn't see that episode.. but also wanted to return to the thread to add that I don't think the concept of recycling is bull (or a scam) but it's certainly not carried out the way it should be.

But what makes me cringe is people saying "oh well, it's a scam, don't even bother" rather than saying "this is crazy, we need to do something to ensure our stuff gets recycled properly."

But that is on top of what PPs say, that reducing is #1 and reusing is #2, and recycling only after that. I still think recycling is important if for no reason than right now it's the only thing many people are willing to do.
#14 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
There are some specific situations in which people have been scammed into sorting things which then don't actually get recycled or get recycled in a wasteful and polluting way, but in general I think recycling is a great thing.

Quote:
On top of that you have the vast majority of recycling leaving the country
Do you have a reference for that? I know SOME of it does, but there are a lot of recycling plants here.

Quote:
And how green is the process of recycling itself, making something old into something new? I imagine there is a lot of energy used which results in pollution.
The important thing is whether it uses LESS energy than making the same thing from new material. It almost always does, but the amount of energy savings depends on the type of material--it's huge for aluminum, very small for paper and most types of plastic.

Another thing to consider is whether the resource is renewable (like paper, made from trees; or glass, made from sand) or limited (like plastic, made from petroleum; or metals). If it is limited, then recycling helps to delay the time when we will run out of it.

Quote:
Has anyone watched the Penn and Teller Bullsh*t episode on recycling? What did you think?
I thought most of it was, itself, bullsh*t. For example: They cite the inefficiency of PAPER recycling as an argument against recycling ANYTHING. They have a guy from an environmental group listing the risks of landfill leachate, and they cut him off practically in midsentence to show a landfill industry rep saying, "It's VERY safe," in a condescending tone and providing absolutely no supporting facts, and they treat that like the last word on the subject.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#15 of 26 Old 11-09-2009, 10:09 PM

This is a topic I'm really interested in, so I am mostly posting to subscribe, but while I'm here:

Here is an article from our local newspaper from about a year ago talking about the downturn in the recyclables market and how the county's recycleables - gathered through a program partially funded by taxpayers - might well end up in landfills anyway.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/co...tlid=inform_sr

I have yet to find any good resources on what has happened since. In 2002, the EPA listed PB County as a "Community Success Story". Obviously, things have changed since then.

http://www.epa.gov/waste/conserve/to.../palmbeach.htm
#16 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 11:57 PM

just as i was graduating from high school, my city started a curbside recycling program. instead of collecting trash 2x a week, they started making one of the pickup days for recycling. They gave out blue bags, and you didnt have to sort it, just put all the recyclables in the blue bags and take them to the curb every week. awesome.
i went off to school and stayed away a bit longer than that. When I came back, there was no recycling pick up. I mentioned it to my dad, and he was amazed i missed "the big stink" about it- apparently, it came out that our city's recycling program was utter bs and they were just dumping everything in the landfill. I dont know what the point was- maybe the city got some kind of grant for recycling and cheated for it? Anyway, now there is ONE place in this city where you can drop off recycling, but the only plastics they take are soda and milk bottles. I sincerely hope that stuff is truly being recycled, otherwise I have wasted considerable time trouble and gas!

Mama to 3 boys 

#17 of 26 Old 11-12-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber913 View Post

My DH recently said he'd heard that a large percentage--can't remember how much--of our recycling is put into landfills. That's all i know. So i've been wondering.
Yup. My father stopped recycling at his business in a city in upstate NY after observing his carefully broken-down cardboard boxes being loaded into the trash truck with the trash from his business.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#18 of 26 Old 11-12-2009, 01:55 AM

My daughters Daisy troop took a tour of our county recycling plant a few years ago. They had big plans and goals to raise the percentage of household waste that is recycled by the county to 50% of all collected waste. Last year at our recycling day event, they told us how they were closer to that goal. The price of recycling is include in our county taxes/trash fees so even if we did not recycle, we would have to pay for it. But I do recall that much of the recycling plant pays for itself in the materials they do sell. And I seem to remember them saying something about where the materials go - and it had something to do with not being cost effective to ship it far so they are always looking for manufacturers who have plants within certain regions. When they do find a new regional vendor, they add items that can be recycled if they were not included before. They recently added more types of food containers.

But they could have been lying - but who would do that to Daisies?

ETA - we have three different types of trash trucks come by on trash day - one regular trash, one mixed and paper recycling and one yard waste recycling. I have seen at the recycle center where the end up and am rather confident that they are not all landfill. They actually take the yard waste and shred it into mulch and sell it back to residents.
#19 of 26 Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsie View Post
My daughters Daisy troop took a tour of our county recycling plant a few years ago. They had big plans and goals to raise the percentage of household waste that is recycled by the county to 50% of all collected waste. Last year at our recycling day event, they told us how they were closer to that goal. The price of recycling is include in our county taxes/trash fees so even if we did not recycle, we would have to pay for it. But I do recall that much of the recycling plant pays for itself in the materials they do sell. And I seem to remember them saying something about where the materials go - and it had something to do with not being cost effective to ship it far so they are always looking for manufacturers who have plants within certain regions. When they do find a new regional vendor, they add items that can be recycled if they were not included before. They recently added more types of food containers.

But they could have been lying - but who would do that to Daisies?

ETA - we have three different types of trash trucks come by on trash day - one regular trash, one mixed and paper recycling and one yard waste recycling. I have seen at the recycle center where the end up and am rather confident that they are not all landfill. They actually take the yard waste and shred it into mulch and sell it back to residents.
We have a trash truck and a recycling truck come by on trash day, so i really had to wonder when dh said our recycling went into landfills--wouldn't that just be more work? I mean, the recycling truck guys are sorting as they're collecting. We also have a place to drop off yard waste, where we can then take mulch for free, as long as we load and haul ourselves. It has to depend on the area, and i may be a fool, but i have confidence that they're doing what they say they're doing with our recycling--in my area. I just wish they'd take more plastics; i'm swimming in quart yogurt containers!
#20 of 26 Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 PM

Yeah, we're not at all comfortable with it.

I much prefer to reduce and reuse, as much possible. You know you just don't need to buy most of the stuff that you think you do. But then, we do have a pretty scaled back lifestyle. We do recycle what we manage to create as waste but we try really hard to not even get to that place.
#21 of 26 Old 11-16-2009, 08:55 PM

This is interesting! My guess is that it's better in some regions of the country, and of course money and politics are going to be involved. I totally agree, REDUCE is the most important!!!

I've thought about the energy that goes into making things out of recycled materials, too. I do think it's better than using new materials. Take yarn spun from recycled cotton, for example. They're going to spin yarn out of either new cotton or recycled cotton, this way it's less cotton being grown with pesticides (unless it's organic, of course) less water used to grow the cotton, etc. etc. and the mill scraps are being used for something rather than thrown away. So it's good. Using less yarn is even better!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#22 of 26 Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 PM

I have to agree with Ruthla - there's a reason why "recycle" is last on the list of reduce, reuse, recycle.

Recycling has its place - but it's not a catch-all solution to our waste problem. Take plastic bags, for instance.

Recycling rates for plastic bags are extremely low. Only 1 to 3% of plastic bags end up getting recycled.

In addition, economics of recycling plastic bags are not appealing. From the process of sorting, to the contamination of inks and the overall low quality of the plastic used in plastics bags, recyclers would much rather focus on recycling the vast quantities of more viable materials such as soda and milk bottles that can be recycled far more efficiently. If the economics don't work, recycling efforts don't work.

For example, it costs $4,000 to process and recycle 1 ton of plastic bags, which can then be sold on the commodities market for $32 (Jared Blumenfeld, director of San Francisco's Department of the Environment as reported by Christian Science Monitor).

Furthermore many bags collected for recycling never get recycled. A growing trend is to ship them to Third world countries like India and China which are rapidly becoming the dumping grounds for the Western world's glut of recyclables. Rather than being recycled they are cheaply incinerated under more lax environmental laws.

Even if recycling rates of plastic bags increase dramatically, it doesn't solve other significant problems, such as the use of non-renewable resources and toxic chemicals in their original production, or the billions of bags that wind up in our environment each year that eventually breakdown into tiny toxic bits.

What to do? Choose to reuse!

And when you're buying "new" plastic items, try to find products that are made at least in part with recycled materials. Because recycling only works if people are buying recycled, you know?

reuseit.com
Reusables for every part of your life.

#23 of 26 Old 02-25-2010, 09:28 PM

I live in N TX and we have two big cans, one for recyclables, one for trash. In spite of PICTURES on the can, I still see my neighbors and others putting in pizza boxes, yard waste, overflowing trash, etc. Where I used to live, in SoFLa, one of the sanitation guys told me that any of that stuff made the entire can go to the trash rather than the recycling center. Sometimes I see the garbage truck (not the green/blue recyclables truck) pick up both cans. So I believe the PP's husband who thinks most of it goes into the landfill. I recycle anyway.
#24 of 26 Old 02-25-2010, 10:25 PM

The OP mentioned the energy costs of shipping waste to China for recycling. The actual use of energy to do this is very low.

There is a brilliant Chinese woman, Zhang Yin, one of the richest women in the world, who started a company shipping waste paper to China for recycling. She fascinates me. The thing is, there are thousands of gigantic container ships which come to the US from China every day, filled with cargo. They are unloaded and return to China empty. It takes little additional energy to have them filled with waste paper. To my mind, it's much more wasteful to have the ships go back with nothing than to recycle materials. This is obviously not as profitable in the current economy as it was.

Whether or not recycling is a scam depends on your particular community and how the material is handled. I do agree it's better to not use so much stuff in the first place. I do wish we would demand less packaging as consumers.
#25 of 26 Old 02-26-2010, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the "reuse it" link. Yes, it's important to remember reduce - reuse - recycle in that order. It's really amazing how spoilt we've all gotten in regards to packaging and accumulating stuff.

I live in China and know that here in Suzhou the ayis (literally "aunts", meaning the household helpers, cleaning and gardening aids) will take paper and plastic bottles (milk jugs) to some recycling plant where they get paid a little something. Everything else ends up in the trash around here - including glass.

As the tap water quality is poor it is generally recommended that people buy drinking water (bottles, gallons, canisters). I try to set a good example by at least using stainless steel water bottles for me and my children. On the bright side: the local supermarkets don't give out plastic bags for free (you have to pay for your bag).

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#26 of 26 Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I personally recycle to keep things out of the landfill and to keep from drawing out new resources but instead to reuse what has already been made. That is worth my time......
As far as where the recycled stuff goes, I do not know. And I do not how much energy is used and such in recycling but I am more concerned with keeping stuff out of the landfill than the energy used to recycle it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page