Now that's a good idea! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I'd share some of my recent reduce - reuse - recycle ideas and I'm hoping for lots of other good ideas from you!

- cloth diaper doublers (hemmed square): cleaning rag

- towels, hems unraveling: nursing pads (I loved the terrycloth!)

- sweater, cotton/linen knit, out of shape: nursing pads

- bibs (trimming and ribbon coming off): cut into squares with rounded edges and serged as cloth napkins or dish rags

- yogurt containers (big size, rectangular bottom): drawer dividers, containers for crayons, scissors, make-up jars, dental brace equipment etc.

- plastic or paper plates from fruit and veggies: art supplies for school (mixing paint etc.) - Yes, I'm totally aware it's best to forego them in the first place!

- wooden popsicle sticks: art supplies (bunny ears, fences etc.)

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#2 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 03:24 AM

Good job! Kids can use all kinds of things for crafts!

I bet bibs would make OK nursing pads as well since they usually have that waterproof layer... The shape might not conform to great though, might have to be altered a bit.

But yay

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#3 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, the bibs I used for the dish rags were "old-fashioned" bibs from Germany (just terrycloth or waffle piqué only).

If you have a bib with a waterproof layer and make it into a nursing pad I'd recommend using them only for "extra protection" (out grocery shopping or such) when you can't easily change. The climate under a waterproof layer might be an invitation for yeast bacteria.

My terrycloth nursing pads were just double-layered circles - not "shaped" but the fabric was flexible enough to work. Still, they might not be your favorite option under your best blouse but I was totally comfortable wearing them under a sweater or t-shirt.

And finally: thanks for your encouraging response. One of the things I really like about MDC is that you won't get the reaction from people when you mention your little attempts at "going green" (or purple for the FLYbabies around here)!

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#4 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 04:31 AM

Oh good to know about the bibs as nursing pads. That could have been bad. hee hee.

And yep, that's why I love it here too The frugality section is awesome. No one is judged over reusing plates and towels. lol. Love it!

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#5 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 PM

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing these!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#6 of 9 Old 01-09-2010, 03:44 AM

I cut some plastic tubing, it was for use in a fish tank. Into straw lengths. My kiddos luv to have straws in drinks.

I usually cut sponges or scrubbers in half. I like the smaller size and you get twice the wear out of them.

Anyone have a good use for dried up playdough?
Kathryn
#7 of 9 Old 01-09-2010, 03:51 AM

All of my burp cloths have become dish rags, baby is 17 MO.

I'm gonna do this when baby is older. Take old Tshirts, cut them up to cover a picture frame, kinda like a blank canvas (white shirts are great for this) and then have kids paint on them and use them to decorate house. I love hand prints, for mother's day, I made all the grand mother in laws and MIL hand print paintings that read

Here my handprints are done for all the world to view
I had so much fun doing this for you
So look upon this hand print plaque
hanging on your wall
and memories will come back
of me when I was small.

They all loved it, and of course, I made one for me
#8 of 9 Old 01-09-2010, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

About the dried playdough:
I've successfully "remoistened" playdough by adding some water and letting it sit over night. The next morning it could be kneaded again. Depending on the amount you might need to repeat the procedure. If it's too wet afterwards simply let it sit in an open container for a few hours or over night.
I'll warn you though that this can be kind of a messy or at least squishy job. (Read: do it yourself as opposed to your 2y old unless you're renovating your kitchen anyway.)

#9 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Oh... and now I should add: former diaper doublers make nice family cloth ("washable bathroom tissue" - see according thread)!
I cut them in half because I found them a bit too big and zigzagged the rim. (That said, some other posters mentioned that they didn't do any hemming / serging whatever - after a few cycles in the washing washine any fraying so far will stop.)

- cut up towels: "paper" towels for messy jobs in the kitchen (If it's really yucky I'll throw that piece away, otherwise I'll just wash and use again.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page