Family cloth - support plz - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 166 Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh I looooooooooooooved family cloth!! I used it for both pee and poop.

Sadly now I live with my parents, and I just can not get comfortable to do it here. That is actually the thing I miss most about living on my own, the family cloth!

I always felt so much cleaner!! I just tossed it all in the washer, never rinsed or anything.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#62 of 166 Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
Yep. Too bad it was at 12:01 am on new years day.
lmao

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#63 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 AM

I asked this earlier but I think that it go buried in the thread.
How much family cloth do you all recommend for each person (adult)? I bought 2 dozen to use for myself, but DH is starting to eye them, so I might want to order more, but I don't want to go overboard. Do you think that 2 dozen each is enough (I plan to just throw them in with the cloth diapers every third day).

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#64 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Yea I think so. Depends how big they are I guess. Mine are big enough I only need one for each bathroom visit. And you go like what, 6 times a day? (unless you're pregnant, then it's like 24) lol.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#65 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 AM

I was just going to say that. How many times a day do you use the bathroom. Multiply that by the number of days between doing laundry. Then add a few more for emergencies.

My DH won't have any part of FC. I'm actually beginning to realize that he is becoming less and less environmentally conscious as time goes by. It's funny, the more aware I am, the less aware he is. Our dryer sometimes has to go through three 70 minute cycles to dry a large load of clothes. But when I mentioned using the tax refund to buy a new dryer, he's like, "Why, it still works. We need that money to go on vacation." Gee, maybe we could go on a vacation with the money we saved on the gas bill for this dryer.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#66 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Something is very wrong with your dryer. Mine used to do that, and then my washer's spin cycle went. So together, it was impossible to dry clothes. That was the breaking point. We bought a whole new set.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#67 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 03:16 AM

Again, thanks for the inspiration. I'm finally putting to regular use a stack of terrycloth washcloths my MIL gave to me once (!!!) and I'm reusing former diaper doublers which I cut in half.

BTW, I wouldn't have thought that I'd end up laughing tears in this thread.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#68 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Banned

i think figuring out the right number is going be interesting.

DH is a big paper used for #2s...it often backs up the toilet. i had to teach him to flush twice during, then flush at least twice while wiping. he uses a ton of paper (he's afraid of being unsanitary and had some minor pre-OCD stuff, and as you know, the family is *warped* about cleanliness).

so, figuring out DH's amount of cloth is going to be an interesting process.

i know how much i'll need, and how much DS needs. that's pretty easy. but DH. . .that will be something else altogether. LOL
#69 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM

I got up this morning to water flowing all over the bathroom. My son uses way too much paper. I tried to convince him to try using mama's cloth wipes but he won't have any part of it. So it's back to using flushable baby wipes for him. I can't keep calling maintenance over because he has clogged the toilet again.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#70 of 166 Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Yea I think so. Depends how big they are I guess. Mine are big enough I only need one for each bathroom visit. And you go like what, 6 times a day? (unless you're pregnant, then it's like 24) lol.
I only need one wipe per bathroom visit. I'm pregnant, so I definitely go potty alot, although I work full time where I spend 8-24 hours of my time per day, so I'm often away from home. The 24 wipes has been working well for me the past week. I really want to get DH to use the cloth because this guy goes through tons of toilet paper!
I think that I'll get another 2 dozen. The worse that will happen is that we'll have extra for when DS finishes potty-learning.

Thanks.

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#71 of 166 Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think you can ever have too many. Depends what they're made of but you could always use them for blowing noses and wiping little messes here and there. I love just having a big stash for everything.

I can't believe it. FC would have never even crossed my mind without MDC. I'm so excited!

#72 of 166 Old 01-26-2010, 04:49 AM

Update: I did it! I've been using FC for about 2 weeks now for me and sometimes for my younger children. In the meantime, I'm almost finished "zigzagging" the former diaper doublers.
I bought a little container that goes under the bathroom sink and I wash them together with our towels. I didn't tell my husband yet, and he hasn't complained about odors in the bathroom. Actually, I was surprised how little the used ones smell. (But then, it's of course a lot less liquid than on a wet cloth diaper.)

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#73 of 166 Old 01-26-2010, 11:26 AM

I did it too!

I think I mentioned but I had a set of brand new king sized flannel sheets that were of no use. So far I've only cut up the pillowcases but king sized pillowcases go a long way and I think I have about 30 wipes or so, two-ply. I edged them with a zig zag stitch on my sewing machine.

The flannel sheets were a poly blend so they aren't ideal - they don't absorb liquid like cotton does. However, they are still absolutely fine. (Especially since they were effectively FREE). They are very soft and even look pretty. I have them rolled up in a basket on top of the toilet.

I wasn't sure how to deal with the used ones and wasn't sure what to spend my money on. I ended up repurposing a plastic plant pot I had sitting on the porch (empty except some residual dirt). It seemed just the right size, not too small but not too big either. I ran it through the dishwasher and put it in the bathroom. I read about how some people like the cloths to be exposed to air so they dry out, so I tried just keeping it like that. But I could smell a faint urine odor - faint, but I didn't want to smell anything. So I laid a cloth (one of DD's old changing cloths, the right size) over the top as a lid.

I'm happy with that. There is zero odor whatsoever, and I like the fact that my container is washable (the base can go through the dishwasher every now and then, and the "lid" in the washing machine). I don't plan to wash the container all that much but of course if I have guests coming or if it starts to get stinky, it's easy to take care of.

We're only using it for Number One so far but we're both open to going the next step in the future perhaps.

The only setback is that DD (4 years old) refuses to use them. She says the toilet paper is for kids. I don't know where she got that idea, I told her the cloth is for all of us. I also got her to try the cloth once so she could see how nice it was but she's adamant, no cloth for her. You know how 4 year olds are. I might actually still use them for her Number Two. She asks me to wipe her butt still (she can take care of Number One herself of course). I am always getting TP stuck in her rear The cloth should be much better.

Anyway that's my full account on that.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#74 of 166 Old 01-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

using a couple of the wipes that i had left (stashed in my luggage no less), i have been using the family cloth for a couple of days. it's nice. bamboo t-shirts work well.

i just put them into a little basket, and then when used, i would put them in a little plastic container that i had. i tossed them in with the laundry every other day and rinsed out the container with a bit of water and tea-tree oil spray that i have.

that worked nicely.

i look forward to doing it in NZ.
#75 of 166 Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm loving everyone's methods and stories.

#76 of 166 Old 01-29-2010, 03:22 PM

I'm so grateful for this thread because I have been thinking about trying this out, as well. Just wondering, and sorry to be graphic (in a pee-and-poop wiping thread ) but do you use them when you are on your period, as well? I'm also starting to use cloth pads but I'm not sure how I should be washing them, either.

Lisa treehugger.gif married to DH bikenew.gifsince Aug 07 & mom to DS1 blahblah.gif  born May 08 and DS2 babyboy.gif born Nov 10 homebirth.jpg
#77 of 166 Old 01-29-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I don't. I think the blood would stain if you didn't wash with bleach. I'm going to get teh diva cup, though, so I'll be able to use the cloth wipes all month long!

#78 of 166 Old 01-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned

the blood stains but it doesn't bother me. using oxyclean keeps them from staining too. i usually presoak my pads in oxyclean and water (after rinsing to make blood-water for the plants.
#79 of 166 Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

BLood water for plants?! I've never heard of that.

#80 of 166 Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 AM

That makes total sense - iron!

Sort of but to answer your question: I've used a diva cup (finally) and cloth pads for the past 8 months, before that I used tampons and cloth pads. I soak the cloth pads in cold water and they're "almost always" clean. I've used them for at least the past 7 years, some even 11 years, and some look "sort of stained" (some shadows of blood) - but hey, that's what they're for, right?
(For more information on cloth pads, there was a thread on washing menstrual pads on here.)

What I've been wanting to ask about soaking the family cloth and using bleach: at some "diaper discussion" I heard that you should never mix bleach (chlorine) and pee (ammonia) because you wouldn't be able get out the resulting stink. Any experiences here?

I wouldn't be able to use bleach on my fc anyway because many of them are dyed terrycloth washcloths - so they'd look really nasty. I rinse the soiled ones right away and put them in the container until washing day, just like I used to do it with our cloth diapers. (Occasionally, I add some tea tree oil.) As with my menstrual pads (and with bibs, for that matter): if a "shadow" stays in after washing it'll stay there. That's why I use them.

#81 of 166 Old 01-30-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I don't. I think the blood would stain if you didn't wash with bleach. I'm going to get teh diva cup, though, so I'll be able to use the cloth wipes all month long!
Does it really matter? I mean, we're talking about cloth you wipe with, right?

But anyway, lots of us use mama cloth and I dunno about anyone else but mine aren't stained. I've used mine for 5 or 6 years. They are faded and I have one that was black but got sort of bleached with something (not bleach, I would never wash with that).

Also (we women are funny this way, aren't we, talking about this stuff) I'm on the rag right now and yes, I'm definitely still using the cloth, and it's coming out of the wash stain free. And the cloths are white. (Well, off white).

I think the important thing is to make sure you wash on cold.

I am not using anything weird like bleach or anything to wash with, just the usual laundry soap mixture (grated dove pure, washing soda and borax).

Oh, and I'm not even bothering to separate these things from the usual laundry. The only thing I did was make sure DH's new white sweater didn't go in with them, that's the only precaution I took.

Everything comes out clean and without even a hint of any odor. The first time I ran these through the wash, I gave all of the cloths a real good, close-up sniff

#82 of 166 Old 01-30-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

It wouldn't matter except that I use the same cloth for other things as well.

But it's ok, I rarely use pads. I only did these last couple cycles because I had some leftover from when I gave birth (before I knew about FC, mama cloth, etc). I'm using them up and then getting a diva cup.

#83 of 166 Old 01-30-2010, 05:57 PM

Another question: how do you dry your cloth if you line dry? I am thinking that hanging each one up individually would be alot of work (and look silly). So what do you do to dry them?
#84 of 166 Old 01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Banned

when i have line dried, i just hang them up individually and don't really care if it looks silly. LOL
#85 of 166 Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 PM

OK, now here's the question in MY head. MIL and FIL are coming to visit in a few days. MIL is great, but she's also kind of an interrogator if you know what I mean. So I am already kind of thinking, should I put these cloths away when she's here? I'm not sure I want to get into a discussion with her about them.

It's not a matter of making a guest use them, we still have TP out and would definitely not expect them to use the cloth. I just don't know if I want to get into one of those discussions in length with MIL on what those cloths are and why we do it and don't we worry about XYZ... blah blah blah.

I mentioned it to DH, he said he didn't care, let her ask. But I know she is going to ask ME, not him!! Anyway I should probably leave it but it does honestly make me squirm a bit to make this known to my extended family. I'd feel the same way with my own mom, I might hide it when she comes next time too. (My father and FIL would never ask, probably never even notice... it's just a nosy mom thing).

#86 of 166 Old 01-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

of course, it is up to you.

first, i now make DH field all questions and interrogations. in the past, i would answer, but i had to prepare and it just added to my stress. so, i asked DH to do that, and he said "but i don' tknow the answers! i'd have to prepare!" in this shocked/nervous voice. and i told him--what do you think i've been doing all of these years? i've been prepping before we go (or they come)! So now, he'll just say "Mom, we've looked into it, it's fine, it's what we want to do." and that's that.
#87 of 166 Old 01-31-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

I just lay my FC on top my dryer and freezer. It doesn't dry as fast but its easier than hanging each one.

As for guests asking about it... I don't have a separate pail for it, just DS's (covered) cloth diaper pail, so people probably just think my stash of wipes if for wiping DS. No one has ever asked.

#88 of 166 Old 01-31-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
of course, it is up to you.

first, i now make DH field all questions and interrogations. in the past, i would answer, but i had to prepare and it just added to my stress. so, i asked DH to do that, and he said "but i don' tknow the answers! i'd have to prepare!" in this shocked/nervous voice. and i told him--what do you think i've been doing all of these years? i've been prepping before we go (or they come)! So now, he'll just say "Mom, we've looked into it, it's fine, it's what we want to do." and that's that.
I'm lucky in that respect, because DH is perfectly willing to answer his mother! He wouldn't even need to rehearse what he said either. "Yeah, mom, we wipe our behinds with those. Help yourself." The thing is, MIL has a way of cornering me when DH isn't anywhere around!!!

I was thinking about why I care, and I think it was just remembering *MY* reaction when I first heard of FC. DH's reaction was the same. Now, obviously we've come around but mostly because I kept reading about it and exposing myself to it. I just picture MIL learning what those are and forever thinking whatever she would think about it, because it's extremely unlikely she'll ever come across anyone else who uses it, or will read about it in a magazine, or anything (she doesn't surf online, and other sources of information on ths subject are pretty minimal).

#89 of 166 Old 02-02-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
I'm lucky in that respect, because DH is perfectly willing to answer his mother! He wouldn't even need to rehearse what he said either. "Yeah, mom, we wipe our behinds with those. Help yourself." The thing is, MIL has a way of cornering me when DH isn't anywhere around!!!

I was thinking about why I care, and I think it was just remembering *MY* reaction when I first heard of FC. DH's reaction was the same. Now, obviously we've come around but mostly because I kept reading about it and exposing myself to it. I just picture MIL learning what those are and forever thinking whatever she would think about it, because it's extremely unlikely she'll ever come across anyone else who uses it, or will read about it in a magazine, or anything (she doesn't surf online, and other sources of information on ths subject are pretty minimal).
I think I can relate, I haven't even come out to my husband about it! But then, "strange" reactions seem to be the price we're paying from time to time for being not-so-mainstream. Your MIL (or whoever) doesn't need to like your decision. You've gone through your thought process and that's it then.
If she's really weirded out by FC there's probably no need to worry anyway because she might not even want to talk about it again.

#90 of 166 Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmomof4 View Post
If she's really weirded out by FC there's probably no need to worry anyway because she might not even want to talk about it again.
Oh, she would talk about it again No worries on that

But so far (they are here) they haven't asked. And I haven't put them away. And we have kept using them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page