How can I reuse/recycle my worn-out prefolds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any super ideas for me? I have a mountain of worn-out GMD prefolds that I hate to throw away. They are all shreddy so I don't know if they would even make good dust cloths! Help me out!

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 PM

Scrubbing floors
Dusting
Cleaning windows
Really any kind of cleaning you might use a paper towel or sponge for
Mopping up spills
Washing the car
Polishing shoes
Protection against bedwetting/menstrual overflow/puking/whatever
Cut into strips and use as stuffing for something like teddy bears or doll pillows or cat beds
Protecting the floor when DH is brewing beer
Stuffing leaky windows
Attic insulation...okay, I'm stretching there, but theoretically possibly I guess!

We reuse those diapers until they are absolutely falling apart...and then we use them some more! lol Makes me feel better when I insist on buying nice fluffy new ones for each new baby.

Elayne, mom to Brenden, Tamara, Caitlin 10/12/99 26w2d FEVR Stage II, Liam 10/15/02 40w4d, Jarod 2/12/09 41w5d VBA2C FEVR Stage III, Kender 7/22/08 41w1d HBA2C FEVR Stage IV
#3 of 8 Old 01-13-2010, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving over to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#4 of 8 Old 01-13-2010, 05:47 AM

I use my old cloths for everything... but we do EC around here, so no poop on them, except once in a blue moon or for use in clean up...not sure if that makes a difference.... I use my birdseyes for blowing my nose on, wiping up spills, if I ever get a period again I will use them again for that as I did between children before, to clean lino floors, windows, toilets (i use the stained ones for that) dusting... i use them now on bed since we went diaperless as a form of bed protection (in conjunction with other things) if you can sew, you can sut them up and serge (think that is right word, i am not crafty, yet) the edges and make reusable wipes for pee and save lots of toilet paper....

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#5 of 8 Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 PM

I find old prefolds are the perfect cleaning cloth - they really soak up the spills. You can use the serged edge for scrubbing. They are do gresat, when I run out of old prefolds I will actually be tempted to buy new ones to use as cleaning cloths.
#6 of 8 Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 PM

When the outsides are super shreddy, I just remove the shreddy layer and there is a decent layer underneath. I compost the shreds. Haven't yet hit the bottom layer, but when I do, I will cut off the poly serging and compost the rest.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#7 of 8 Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 PM

My mom always used hers for rags and washing windows!

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#8 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM

If you have a garden, you can use them as sheet mulch

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page