What to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am buying new pots and pans and don't know the best way to go. I have had my Te-Fal set for 7 years (wedding gift), but I would like to get a new set, any suggestions? Also what do I do with the old set, is there a way to recycle these? They are pretty used and non stick coating is starting to chip which is not good to cook with. Thanks in advance.

Yoga loving momma to DD Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08 , DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason .
Namaste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So we're talking about a bigger family here pretty soon, right?
Do you have gas or electricity to cook with?
What "style" of meals does your family like?

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#3 of 19 Old 02-08-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

We have a natural gas stove. I cook chicken, pork, fish, veggies, pasta, big breakfasts. Yes we are trying to expand our family. Thanks for the help.

Yoga loving momma to DD Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08 , DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason .
Namaste
#4 of 19 Old 02-09-2010, 02:12 AM

I just got the Tomontina gourmet cookware set. It is like a nock off of all clad but I got a 8 pc set for only 149.00 @ Walmart. It is stainless steel and I love it. I always thought stainless steel would make everything stick but I havent had anything stick yet. I love it!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 19 Old 02-09-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help Katie T.
I just looked the set up online at my local Wal-Mart and the set is on sale for $129.

Namaste
#6 of 19 Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 PM

We got our stainless steel pots from a restaurant supply house. They are excellent quality. I love them.

praying.gif Angela married to DHsuperhero.gif......DDguitar.gif age 7 , DDblowkiss.gif age 5 ,  DSsleepytime.gif age 4 and sadly 2 angel.gif  in heaven, Catholic and ribbonwhite.gif with a dash of crunch: hang.gif    chicken3.gif  homeschool.gif

#7 of 19 Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 PM

We have stainless steel from Costco, and we love it. The whole set was under $200 for a 7 piece set with lids.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#8 of 19 Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

can I recycle the old set? I don't want to throw them away, any ideas?

Namaste
#9 of 19 Old 02-11-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmama View Post
can I recycle the old set? I don't want to throw them away, any ideas?
Im wondering this too. I am loving my new set, I cant believe how easy and enjoyable to cook with it it is and how well/easily it cleans up!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#10 of 19 Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In Germany, we still have the "old-iron-man" coming from time to time who definitely would take your old pots. Doesn't help you much, though...
Have you checked with your township or city administration? Maybe they can help.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#11 of 19 Old 02-21-2010, 12:34 AM

Maybe donate them to a homeless shelter or food pantry? Around here, they are always looking for home goods. Or maybe even a high school with a cooking class?

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#12 of 19 Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM

I would think hard about a whole new "set." Do you really need all of those pots that come with the set, or only 3 or 4 of them? In my opinion the sets are ways of driving up the prices and giving you items you don't really need and wouldn't actually buy if you looked at them separately. Plus they take up all that room in your cupboards.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#13 of 19 Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
I would think hard about a whole new "set." Do you really need all of those pots that come with the set, or only 3 or 4 of them? In my opinion the sets are ways of driving up the prices and giving you items you don't really need and wouldn't actually buy if you looked at them separately. Plus they take up all that room in your cupboards.
That is a good point, I do use everything that came with my set, but know a lot of people who get sets, and then some pieces just collect dust. Definatly something to think about.

crochetsmilie.gif

#14 of 19 Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 PM

Walmart, Walgreens and Home Depot has some nice household items there. The old pots depending on the size could be painted over and used as little flower pots.

Worlds Best Mom
#15 of 19 Old 02-24-2010, 05:57 PM

I second (third?) the idea of rethinking getting a whole set. We're super minimal in the kitchen - we just have a cast iron skillet, enameled cast iron dutch oven and a stainless steel saucepan, each with their own lid. We've been down to this for years, cook everything from scratch and have large family gatherings often and this has been fine for us plus easy to afford, clean and store.

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#16 of 19 Old 03-08-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I bought a set and I use all of it, plus the set came with a untensil I needed/wanted so it worked out great. Thanks again for all the input.

Namaste
#17 of 19 Old 03-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Banned

i can't wait to get the dutch oven.
#18 of 19 Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I would assume that most metal scrap yards would take metal cook ware...you may just have to take the handles off if they are plastic. I believe I have recycled my old ones before. Also I used some of the bigger ones for planters.

I bought set from walmart about 5 years or so ago. It is Regal brand and was only like 20-30 dollars. It is of decent weight and non-stick surface. I bought several kits and took them home and compared them and then took back the ones that I did not like. I will say that some of the same brand were not as heavy duty as the ones I bought....not sure why though. The set I ended up with came with one 5 Qt, 3Qt, 1Qt, and a large and a small skillet with 2 lids (5qt and large skillet use the same size lid and the 3qt and the small skillet use the same). I think it also came with 3 utensils. There was only one of the set I bought...so I am not sure if it was a return from a different store or what. But I really like them. Great value and great product! I use them daily without any issue!
I encourage you to buy several and compare them and take back the ones you don't like. Don't actually cook with them but you can compare weight and such.

I will say a lot of the really cheap off brand ones do burn up pretty easily. Before I bought the set I have I had several really cheap ones and I burnt up several of them.....especially the porcelain coated ones.
#19 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 PM

I'm sure the scrap yard would take them! We took a large load of scrap metal last weekend and got over $300!! We took everything from cans to a truck tool box, to a cast iron bathtub, water heater, used tractor batteries, etc.

Enjoy your new pots and pans!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page