Why should I conserve water in a city? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-11-2010, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
PPK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, please help me settle this debate.

I've always been fairly mindful about conserving water in our home. DH, on the other hand, tells me that since we live in a city with waste-treatment plants, it shouldn't really matter since the water is treated and reused again anyways. Also, we live in an apt., so we don't water a lawn or any outdoor needs.

What's the deal?

I understand conservation with septic/wells/aquifers, and all that, but DH has a good argument..any links to further reading or any info?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-11-2010, 12:11 PM

I live in a small city which occasionally has water supply worries. If we don't have enough precipitation in winter/spring/early summer, the reservoirs won't be full (and our reservoir needs dredging). Our summers have been getting hotter and drier.

Yes, water which goes down the faucet/toilet goes on to Richmond, but there will inevitably be some loss in potable supply.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#3 of 6 Old 04-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Waste treatment plants take energy, chemicals etc to treat the water. Taking the water from the lake/river/groundwater, treating it and pumping it to your home takes energy too. And of course, using more water increases your water bill.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#4 of 6 Old 04-11-2010, 12:29 PM

What they said. Plus current water treatment plants have a finite capacity. If that's not enough for demand, more need to be built, increasing city taxes, increasing rent.

A lot of city water is lost to leaks. There are always water main breaks around here and other older cities during cold snaps. There were 2 different "minor" leaks resulting in tearing up the roads in my tiny neighbourhood last winter alone. One of them was coming into the basement of my fil's rental property and the city dragged their feet for a week about fixing it because water wasn't bubbling up into the street. Until finally it was bubbling up into the street late on a Friday night when it was -30 and they had to work all night digging up the street to fix the "suprise" leak. Anyway, city water/waste water is nothing like a closed system.
#5 of 6 Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 AM

For me it would be the money I have to pay out.Even if the water bill is included in rent or HOA maint. fees eventually YOU will be paying. I want less of my earnings going for something I have some control over.

We now own a home.The water rate went up over 8% a month.All I can do is use less.My bill was $31 last month.Got the new one and it was
$20.55.Always happy to keep more of my money!!!!
#6 of 6 Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
PPK

Energy and chemicals are good enough reasons IMO. Thank you all for the replies!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page