Composting for Kindergardeners - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter's kindergarten teacher asked me to come in this week and talk about composting. I'm looking for a creative way to do this. Maybe a skit or something? I have about 20 minutes. Any ideas? TIA.
#2 of 4 Old 04-24-2010, 09:20 PM

Maybe make a game? Draw/print out pictures of different things and hand one out to each kid, and then one by one they have to put them in the "compost" bin or the "trash" bin or the "recycle" bin.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 4 Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DDs class must have done something similar recently, she came home singing "there is a worm at the bottom of the compost" I think there were also a couple of other mini beasts at the bottom of the compost.

I like the idea of sorting the pictures into the various bins.

For a game how about adapting "fruit salad" all the players sit in a circle, preferably on chairs. You choose about 4 things which could go in the compost, and go round the circle asssign each child one of them (eg apple core, banana peel and so on). Now take one of the chairs away so that one child is in the middle of the circle. They call out of of the fruits and all the children of that fruit have to run across the circle and swap places. If the child in the middle calls "compost" then everyone has to swap places. The child standing in the middle has to try and sit down. We play this a lot and usually find the person in the middle changes regularly but if the same person has had a couple of turns we'll ask them to change places with someone so everyone gets a go in the middle.
#4 of 4 Old 05-03-2010, 07:18 PM

My son was in a program a while back. One of the things they did was hand out a sheet. The kids had to circle the pictures of things that could go in the compost and X out the things that could not. You can also find directions online for making a soda bottle compost. We live in a very tiny apartment but I'm thinking of doing the soda bottle thing because it won't take up much room. Let us know what other things you figure out to do with the kids. I might have to organize an event for our homeschool group around the idea of composting.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page