Reusable swiffer style cloths? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-07-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard swiffer is supposedly "bad" for children and pets, but the only info I could find was on the swiffer wetjet ingredients, which is not what I have.

I just finished a box of the disposable swiffer dry floor cloths and was hoping someone could let me know of a GOOD reusable alternative.

I have pergo and tile floors. I tried some thicker microfiber style cloths on my swiffer but they don't do as good as job at picking up the bits of stuff off the floor. They're great for dust, but sand and whatever just gets pushed around I've noticed.

Suggestions?

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#2 of 19 Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 PM

what I do is get the dyson and really give it a good vacuum first. Then attatch a pre fold to bottom of swiffer w/ elastic bands and use it that way.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#3 of 19 Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM

why is swiffer bad for children/pets?

read.gif WOH wife to heartbeat.gif, mother to myviolin.gif 8yo and one cat.gif who thinks he's a dog2.gif

#4 of 19 Old 06-14-2010, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
siffer wetjet is full of who-knows-what-chemicals. the regular original siffer sweepers are just bad for the earth.

i vacuum and then use a sh-mop

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 19 Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 PM

I sweep with a broom and pick it up with a dust pan.
We do have a dust mop that I never really use. Think of the big dust mop janitors used on the marble floors in schools, only smaller for residential use. It is somewhat staticky too like swiffers, so it helps with dust and cat hair, etc.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 19 Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 PM

I love the swiffer wetjet but I didn't want to keep using the disposable refills either. I tie an old shirt onto the bottom of the mop and that works well. If there's a spot that I can't get with the mop, I just do it by hand.

I also drilled a hole in the bottom (well the top, depending on which position it's in ) of the bottle so that I could add vinegar, water, and gardenia oil

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#7 of 19 Old 06-30-2010, 05:01 PM

If you knit or crochet, I've seen a couple of patterns posted on Ravelry for making the dry cloths. I've made a few and they seem to work pretty good. I can't get onto the site from here (it's blocked from work) but this page looks like it has some decent links: http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-swiffer-cloths/

Before I made my own cover, I used a old dishtowel, but I had to make sure to sweep well before I used the Swiffer.

Mom to DSS D (7) , DD Elizabeth (8/09) , and expecting DC3 3/30/11
#8 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 03:31 PM

well i do always sweep with the broom first, and then i use the a microfiber washcloth on my swiffer usually wet it and spot mop with it.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#9 of 19 Old 07-03-2010, 03:36 PM

You can get washable microfibre pads from Norwex.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#10 of 19 Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 PM

You can refill the bottles with your own cleaner and knit or crochet the pads. You can also use old prefolds.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#11 of 19 Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 PM

I made ones like these out of fleece.
Very simple and they work great, wet or dry.

I just rinse them out and toss them in the washing machine when we are done.

hth
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#12 of 19 Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 PM

double post
oops - sorry

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#13 of 19 Old 08-17-2010, 03:01 AM

Have you tried the Shark? It just uses water/steam and the pads are washable. However, the unit itself is made from plastic.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#14 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 05:50 PM

I vaccum first ,and then use my WetJet stick, with a microfiber towel on the bottom. I ran out of the cleaner a long time ago, so I fill up a spray bottle with vinegar and water for the cleaner.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#15 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM

oh i just saw this video- you can open the swiffer bottle by dippind the cap into boiling water for ten seconds & unscrew with a towel, fill and screw top back on. i did the drill into the bottom thing too but then it leaks.
#16 of 19 Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 AM

in place of the dry swiffer cloths, i take a damp washcloth and put that on the swiffer and use it. i also have pergo floors.

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#17 of 19 Old 11-02-2010, 03:20 PM

I have a Rubbermaid Reveal mop. It works like a swiffer mop except you fill the bottle with the cleaner of your choice. The microfiber floor cloth can be machine washed and tumble dried. There is also a dust mop cloth you can use for dry mopping. I absolutely love mine. With kids dogs and cats I mop every single day. I know that Libman also makes a similar mop.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#18 of 19 Old 12-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Banned

Anything that is disposable is by definition not green.  And while there are weird chemicals in the spray cleaner, the swiffer cloths are made from plastic, so who knows what kind of chemicals are getting into your house through that.

I just use a broom and a mop.  I guess I am old school.

For quick cleaning, I use a microfiber cloth on a swiffer type mop.  I used Method mop.

#19 of 19 Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 AM

I just use an old baby wash cloth stuck into the holes of my mom's old old mr clean mop. And a spary bottle of vinegar/water/dish soap and spray it/dump it on the floor.

I was off to save the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page