Do You Have ... ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have a button jar?

I have one. I cut the buttons of off clothes that become rags. When clothes come with extra buttons they usually go into the button jar too.

Oddly, I've never used any buttons out of the jar yet.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#2 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM

Yes I do. I do a lot of crafting so I actually bought buttons as well as add to the jar like you are talking about.

That is funny you have never used them! Find someone that crafts that will. Buttons would be a welcome gift!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#3 of 16 Old 08-14-2010, 12:06 PM

I have several button jars sorted by colors. I craft as well and bought some but I too keep old buttons....my daughter loves to play with them....I truly think I was born in the wrong time period, I should have been born when button collecting and such was all the rage

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#4 of 16 Old 08-15-2010, 04:15 PM

Yes. Two. I LOVE buttons.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#5 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I do. Some of the buttons get sewn onto things I've made. Especially dolls clothes where I only need a couple of matching ones. DD has used some of them to decorate lavender sachets. Some have been glued onto home made cards.

I've seen lots of ideas for Christmas decorations made from buttons so I think the kids will probably made some of those this year.

Then of course they just like to play with them, there are endless options for sorting, making patterns and pictures.
#6 of 16 Old 08-21-2010, 11:30 PM

I do! I never use them to rebutton anything, but dd loves to dump them and cook with them and you name it with them. They're a great toy!

SMC to dd 4/07.
#7 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, only it's not a jar - it's an "organizer" with sections for different colors (meant to be for screws or nails, I think). I actually used some of them but probably my collection is way to big.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#8 of 16 Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 AM

Oh I will now... great idea.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#9 of 16 Old 09-23-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
Oh I will now... great idea.
It's a nice thing to have. Our kids have actually gotten quite attached to the button jar, and enjoy collecting buttons for it.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#10 of 16 Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 PM

We do! We have a couple of lovely jars my mom bought me for this very purpose.

I rarely, if ever, use them to replace old buttons or missing buttons...I like to buy cute ones when I see them. Nothing fancy, just cute colorful ones, flower shapes, kiddie shapes, etc.
Ds loooooves them, we use them on artwork, to sort, play with, count. Last year for day 100 of school each child had to bring in a 100-of-something project and we glued 100 of them onto a poster board.
..didn't even put a dent in our collection.
#11 of 16 Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 PM

I don't but this is a great idea! Im always looking for buttons since I sew and do other crafting. Maybe it will help with the budget if I save them from our old clothes instead of buying new ones when I need them

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#12 of 16 Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Oh the legacy of Zebra's 'button jar'. When I first moved out on my own about 15 yrs ago I was under the impression that everyone saved buttons. Why? because thats what my borderline hoarder mother did, so I got myself a container and saved buttons. Then I moved across country and the jar got 'lost'. Shortly thereafter I had DS and started saving buttons again for DS... he LOVED the buttons.... now DS is 10 and I've evolved into a crafter and I'm back to hunting down obscure and unique buttons.

Ya know a good kids art project and use upwards of 50 buttons??

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#13 of 16 Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 PM

zebra- how bout a necklace or bracelet out of the buttons? If you know anyone with young girls some of my friends turn their excess buttons into cute socks.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#14 of 16 Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 PM

I do. I've got the extra buttons from shirts/jackets/cardigans/etc that I've bought over the years. Recently I bought two big bags of buttons at a thrift store for $4 because they had some cute pink buttons that I knew my daughter would love.

I've tried a couple times to sort through my buttons to see how many matching buttons I've got, but my daughter loves to play with them when I do that.

I've used two buttons from my jar in the last week and a half for meding clothes.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
#15 of 16 Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

zebra- how bout a necklace or bracelet out of the buttons? If you know anyone with young girls some of my friends turn their excess buttons into cute socks.

I strung all of my old extra buttons that came with clothes for my DD when she was little. I also have a button box, but it's mostly stuff I bought. They are mostly on cards. I always check there first. I don't cut them off of clothes. I usually donate old clothes before they become rags, so I don't need to cut the buttons off. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#16 of 16 Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post

It's a nice thing to have. Our kids have actually gotten quite attached to the button jar, and enjoy collecting buttons for it.

I am still oddly attached to my grandma's button tin.  I love to go through them, and even weirder, love the smell of it!  Brings back many happy memories.  I think this year I'll start my own button jar!  I actually think a clear glass jar (Ball canning jar type) with buttons would be a beautiful knick-knack on an end-table!

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page