Green birthday parties - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-10-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just how green do you do your kids birthday parties?
I really like to go all out for my kids parties,but keep them green. Coming up for my soon to be 3 year old will be a pirate party. I have no problem using real dishes/sliverware/glasses etc. I dont buy bottled water, guests can get it from fridge or pitcher. I do offer canned soda and juice boxes for the kids though.
I don't do plastic goody bags with plastic little toys. I do other things though. For example at this party every child will basically get a pirate costume (sash, sword and kerchief or hat.
Anyhow, the part I always struggle with is decorations...like all the paper stuff. I really desire to decorate, but do not want to buy a bunch of stuff that goes in the trash (like streamers etc).
So how green do you keep your parties? What kind of decorations do you do and what do you stay away from?

The biggest thing for me is plastic. We strive to be a plastic free household. But there is really no part of birthday party that doesnt seem wasteful. I will be having a party though and it will be fabulous!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#2 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 04:34 PM

Well my first thought was this for decorating:

http://mayamade.blogspot.com/2008/08...-tutorial.html

Maybe alternating red/ white stripes and black w/ the jolly roger? Then you should be able to recycle it when you're all done.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#3 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Very cute!

#4 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 PM

We did a pirate party for my twins birthday.

We held it in a nearby park and I made a fabric version of the bunting above in red and black to hang in a great climbing tree. Also attached a white sheet (thrifted) for a sail and pulled a picnic table up. This became the kids' boat. The sheet is part my kids "fort making" supplies.

Favours were given out at the beginning of the party and were eye patches I made from black felt, red sashes (strips of red fabric - I didn't hem it or anything), bandanas, spy glasses made from toilet paper rolls and gold coins made from wood slices and painted gold. We had face paint for scars and every kid could choose a pirate tatoo.

Table decorations were a blue sheet with a paper island treasure map I made from brown packing paper laid on top. We had a watermelon fruit bowl and I put the spikey top of the pineapple as a sail. The watermelon was full of fruit and there was a playmobil pirate in the "crow's nest" at the top of the pineapple top.

Other playmobil pirate characters, islands and small boats (all from our toy cupboard) decorated the table. I made signs for some of the food to add to the feel (Blackberry Bill's Punch, Swashbuckler salsa).

We have red camping plates, cups and bowls and I used those to serve and display food.

There are some neat cakes on Family Fun you could make which would also serve as a decoration/centerpiece.

Take home favours were pirate cookies and their costume stuff.

hth
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#5 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Great Great Great Great Great!!!!!
Love it all.

I have planned: the pirate boat, but will be making it out of appliance boxes I'm hoping to get from Home Depot.
Walk the plank-board of used wood laying around
Treasure hunt in our sandbox- this is the part I'm having trouble with. But love the idea of sliced wood gold coins and will definitely consider it.
I am also doing the sashes, bandanas (or foam pirates hat) and I'm crocheting swords. I refuse to do any plastic, (like plastic swords) but I've already said that.
Thank you so much for the sheet idea. I have a sheet I can dye blue easily. I also have some brown packing paper. Hooray!
We don't have any playmobile pirates, but that is a perfect idea. I'll ask around and see if anyone has some.

#6 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveJamie View Post
Great Great Great Great Great!!!!!
Love it all.

I have planned: the pirate boat, but will be making it out of appliance boxes I'm hoping to get from Home Depot.
Walk the plank-board of used wood laying around
Treasure hunt in our sandbox- this is the part I'm having trouble with. But love the idea of sliced wood gold coins and will definitely consider it.
I am also doing the sashes, bandanas (or foam pirates hat) and I'm crocheting swords. I refuse to do any plastic, (like plastic swords) but I've already said that.
Thank you so much for the sheet idea. I have a sheet I can dye blue easily. I also have some brown packing paper. Hooray!
We don't have any playmobile pirates, but that is a perfect idea. I'll ask around and see if anyone has some.
For games we had an obstacle course. They had to hop from island to island and avoid sharks and alligators (plastic ones we had borrowed), then swab the decks (use a small broom and sweep various "stuff" into a bucket), eat 3 crackers and then say Polly want a cracker, retrieve the treasure chest (a painted box) and then do a sword battle and finally walk the plank.

I used another blue sheet for the water and green towels for the islands.

We also played capture the flag but mostly the kids just wanted to play pirates in the tree. Oh we also gave everybody a pirate name or had them make one up. There was a treasure map hunt for the cake. My kids are older than yours but you might find some ideas there. Good luck.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#7 of 12 Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 AM

These are all great ideas. DS wants to have a pirate party for his 7th birthday in April. I'm hoping we can pull it off, especially since I'm due around that time.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#8 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think a party can be green for different reasons. At our last party held (3 year old) at a public park, we did do bottled water because I wanted the kids and adults to drink it. They never drink as much if you have cups. We also had some small juice boxes and some UHT plain and flavored milk. Now I don't really think that those are really green options but hydration was important and it worked. We also had some individually packaged snacks "eco junk food" which I would normally not do-- but I really wanted to avoid the waste I usually see and this way we got to use all the leftovers. My toddler takes two months to eat a box of crackers. We did have some compostable plates and forks for the cupcakes but everyone ate them out of hand.

I don't personally like gift bags (usually junk + too much paper waste) so I had some unwrapped favors for kids to pick out. (play dough/ schielch dinosuars)

We played two games and then went to the local dinosuar museum which is attached to park.
#9 of 12 Old 08-22-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

JudiAU- Sounds like a fun dinosaur party. Great idea to go to the museum.
Also, it is much more difficult to not do disposable when out of the home. So it's most important for everyone to just do their best and have the least amount of waste obviously. I love the idea of no bag, just pick your toy!

#10 of 12 Old 08-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe you can have a treasure hunt to round the topic off (mark it on a map for the children to find). I once did that with party bags - so... not so green but it was a hit with the party guests.

In case you do gifts for the birthday boy or girl: maybe some guests would like to join forces for a gift your child really likes (instead of each buying some "crap" below $8, for example).

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#11 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmomof4 View Post
Maybe you can have a treasure hunt to round the topic off (mark it on a map for the children to find). I once did that with party bags - so... not so green but it was a hit with the party guests.

In case you do gifts for the birthday boy or girl: maybe some guests would like to join forces for a gift your child really likes (instead of each buying some "crap" below $8, for example).
yes, the other part of parties that is very wasteful is gift wrap and plastic toys. I can't help what ppl wrap their gifts in, but our friends know we are plastic free so that's not a problem. although we will be moving into an RV to live and travel the US soon so we can only use books or nothing this time. Either way is fine.

#12 of 12 Old 09-09-2010, 02:28 PM

We've done individually decorated cookies for party favors before - use the party theme and the child's name, wrap in waxed paper so they can take it home, eat it, and voila! No junk left over!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page