Natural Dishwasher cleaner? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-14-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really trying to green up our food and beverage things. I have tossed 90% of all my plastic and what I have left I made sure is the safe kind. I don't run them through the dishwasher anymore either.

I am finding that my glass glasses do not smell right to me after they are supposed to be clean. I cleaned out the washer with vinegar and baking soda and am hoping that helps.

What I want to do it ditch the chemical cleaner and try something all natural. Could I used baking soda and vinegar on a regular basis to do the dishes in there? Is there a certain amount to use so I don't waste?

Any ideas would be greatly apprecaited. I use commercial brands and have not tried any all natural....if they work I am willing to try that as well

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#2 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Tang! Buy a container, dump it in an empty dishwasher and run the longest cycle you have. I can attest this really works, especially if you have hard water. Also, have you cleaned out your grinder and traps? makes a huge difference, get the manual out and it will tell you how.

I also use a product that I use every cycle. I cannot remember the name but it comes in a small green container and the main ingredient is citric acid.

HTH!

As for everyday washing. I am no help! I've tried every product under the sun and Palmolive powder is the only thing that works here but it might have something to do with our water.

\m/

#3 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 PM

For actual washing of the dishes w use Ecover tablets. Even with hard, well water they clean the dishes good.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 5 Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM

We just bought soap nuts to try. They say they work great in the dishwasher too!
#5 of 5 Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 PM

We use Seventh Generation Dishwashing Detergent (hand washing kind and machine washing kind) We love it! You can print off a coupon on their website. When I find it on sale I stock up!

A tip I heard a long time ago was, run the tap till it gets really hot, then turn on the dishwasher. This way it is using hot water right away and it disolves the granuals quicker. Don't forget to clear out the garbage disposal before you run the disherwasher.

Interested in green living and money saving ideas? GreenThriftyMama.blogspot.com
Mama to my little dude

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page