Alternative to flimsy plastic produce bags? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use the reusable fabric grocery bags most of the time to reduce the use of plastic grocery sacks and that waste.
I do sometimes get plastic grocery bags because we use them to clean up dog poo and a few other things like that.
But I realized today that we go through tons of those flimsy plastic produce bags that you buy fresh produce from the grocery store in.
I do save them and use them for produce storage or other things, but eventually they do wind up in the trash.
I do have some of those reusable Debbie Myer green bags but they are a bit of a pain because you have to wash them out and dry them to reuse them but I guess I should start using them again to store produce at home.
But even if I do that, I am still buying the produce and bulk foods in those flimsy produce bags.
Is there an alternative to that?
And what about storing fresh produce? Do you keep it in those bags in the fridge?
What did people buy their produce in before plastic bags?
How did they store their fresh produce?
Especially if you cut a piece of produce and put the other half away to use another day.
thanks!
#2 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 01:46 PM

I don't use anything. I just put it in the cart. It works just fine.
But if you feel like you really need something there are lots of options. You could surely find an Etsy seller that sews some fabric produce bags. One of my personal favorite stores is for stuff like this is www.reuseit.com
The link wasn't working a minute ago, but def. check back b/c it's a great site. I have purchased stuff from them several times and always been pleased.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#3 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 01:58 PM

I have a set of these http://www.etsy.com/listing/53669101...s%5B1%5D=title for smaller stuff like grapes. And I had a friend make me a few like this http://www.etsy.com/listing/38527060...s%5B1%5D=title for larger things like apples.

:
#4 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 02:13 PM

I came across these reusable produce bags at a local store and really like them. I just use them to keep multiple items together for weighing and toss single items right in the cart.

For storage, I just toss everything in the produce drawer as is or put it in a bowl on the counter. If I cut something up and don't use it all, I just store the remaining part in a lidded pyrex dish.
#5 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCat View Post
I came across these reusable produce bags at a local store and really like them. I just use them to keep multiple items together for weighing and toss single items right in the cart.

For storage, I just toss everything in the produce drawer as is or put it in a bowl on the counter. If I cut something up and don't use it all, I just store the remaining part in a lidded pyrex dish.
Thank you! Those look great! I will look into purchasing or making something like that.
#6 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 PM

I just got these from Amazon and love them! While I like the organic cotton produce bags, you can't see through them, so the cashier has to open them up in order to ring up your items. These bags are a mesh and easy to see through. I got two sets.

http://www.amazon.com/flip-tumble-5-...2176399&sr=8-1

lady.gif
#7 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
I just got these from Amazon and love them! While I like the organic cotton produce bags, you can't see through them, so the cashier has to open them up in order to ring up your items. These bags are a mesh and easy to see through. I got two sets.

I just had a look - they're really nice! Do they wash well, seam ok, etc.?
I really should get or make something like that. Produce bags are hard to avoid here, especially in the supermarket. (They even close them with a metal clip, so you already have to fiddle some if you want to reuse them as a trashbag.)

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#8 of 18 Old 09-06-2010, 06:42 PM

I have the flip and tumble bags as well from amazon. I really like them a lot.

Vegan Crunchy Tree Hugging Wife to my DH and Mommy to my sweet Daughter
#9 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 AM

I keep meaning to make some of these. Honestly though, I use my plastic bags up for kitty litter and trash. (I always feel so guilty leaving the store with lots of plastic bags, but we do use them, and try to be sparing. and what else can you do with cat litter)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#10 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 AM

well im cheap so I went to the dollar tree and bought some mesh lingerie bags (they actually came in a 3pk) they are mesh and have a zipper top and work really well for my produce. In fact the only thing I havent been able to use them for have been bulk beans! Other than that because the mesh is smaller it has worked really well, they are very lightweight and I usually wash after I get home and let air dry.
#11 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 02:59 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
I keep meaning to make some of these. Honestly though, I use my plastic bags up for kitty litter and trash. (I always feel so guilty leaving the store with lots of plastic bags, but we do use them, and try to be sparing. and what else can you do with cat litter)
we save a litter container and use that. we keep it around with its lid on until its full then dump the poo in the trash. it works really well. then when the next bucket is empty we replace and so on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-my-boys View Post
well im cheap so I went to the dollar tree and bought some mesh lingerie bags (they actually came in a 3pk) they are mesh and have a zipper top and work really well for my produce. In fact the only thing I havent been able to use them for have been bulk beans! Other than that because the mesh is smaller it has worked really well, they are very lightweight and I usually wash after I get home and let air dry.
LOVE THIS IDEA!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#12 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 03:36 PM

it still doesn't deal with the throwing out plastic issue. And our litter comes in bags that don't seal and can't be tied so it wouldn't work well

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#13 of 18 Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 PM

For produce, I use those mesh laundry bags for delicates. I bought a couple 3-packs of them at the Dollar Store. Cheap, washable, zippered and see-thru for the cashier to easily see what's in them.

Thankfully my city uses green bins now so we can compost our cat litter. I scoop it into empty cracker/cereal boxes or wrap it in newspaper. I love my green bin!
#14 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post

I got some of these and LOVE them! Another vote for them!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#15 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 PM

My produce comes home in cloth bags from reuseit.com but when I put it away it goes into jumbo-size Glad containers in the fridge so it isn't exposed to the air.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#16 of 18 Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 AM

I bought some old sheer type curtins at the thrift store, got several yards of fabric for a $1.

Broke out the sewing machine and made some very simple bags that basically weigh nothing and use those (when i remember to bring them with me of course).
#17 of 18 Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 AM

I use this kind of mesh produce bag... they have been holding up perfectly for about 4 years now with weekly use... I love them!

http://www.gogreeninstages.com/produ...p/produce-bags

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#18 of 18 Old 11-07-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

I found the greatest thing! Make reusable produce bags from old t-shirts! From this site:
http://fakeplasticfish.com/plasticfreeguide/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpyO_t3Ml20

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page