*urban* worm composting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm moving to manhattan into my parents brownstone. I want to purchase a commercially produced, multi-tray worm bin that will take care of the kitchen waste of 6 people who home cook about 80% of meals (a lot of scraps). And rodent proof. I've no experience with worm bins other than killing them all once when we had a small one. We've had an enclosed bin compost in our community garden plot for the past 6 years.

Even though they have a yard, my dad says they can't compost b/c of rats (and rats really are a major problem there. and I am not wanting to argue this point with him anyway, its his house). So, I want to get a fully enclosed worm bin that we can keep up on a small little second-floor back deck which is currently where my dad grows lettuce and greens, and hangs out laundry to dry. I/e not a place anyone hangs out anyway. If its truly not smelly, he'd probably let me move it to the yard eventually, but he *really* does not want to attract rodents to our house.

Questions:
Advice on what bin to get? Or are they pretty comparable?
Advice on what size to get for household of 6?
Can I keep it outside in winter in NYC if its against a house wall? Is there an easy and attractive way to do some insulating? I have read and heard conflicting things about this- that the worms will just stay to the middle where things are hot, or that it will kill them. If I start composting in mid- Sept do you think by the time we're getting hard freezes there will be enough heat from bacteria? its also possible that we could move it down beneath the front (stone) stairs once the downstairs tenant moves out. That space is not heated but obviously more protected than being totally outside. Its sort of like being in a very thick-walled shed attached to the house, I guess.

THANKS! Other advice and things I haven't thought of are totally welcome! I think my dad will be somewhat resistant at first, but I just know he will LOVE IT when he has less smelly, nasty food trash to store and deal with (would make our household trash much less and much less gross), and he will be THRILLED when we get to treat his small, shady back yard with the lovely worm castings.

dissertating mom to three

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi, I have the same question, but for apartment living.  I have a deck I can set a bin out on, but no yard.  I'm in New Jersey, so if anyone answers about the NYC location, it applies to me as well.  I cook from scratch and just hate dumping all the food scraps in the garbage to be sent to landfills.  Any suggestions?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Very funny timing that you just replied to this, because just 3 days ago I brought home my son's classroom worm bin (bought on my suggestion) and so far it doesn't smell and the worms are staying put. I'm planning to get one myself when its time to bring this back in early January. That said, it was starting to freeze solid out on the deck at school so we are going to build some rigid insulation for it before we take it back.

I think I am going to keep ours in the under-stairs space in the apartment when we get our own- its not heated but protected from the elements and is warm by virtue of being next to the brownstone. Its going to be hard to get my parents out of the habit (lifelong) of tossing EVERYTHING but I think the bin will accommodate our (family of 4) scraps once it gets going.

I am going to ask around at school if there is a utility closet or something where it can live during Jan and Feb (unfortunately, since the school shares their building with an afterschool program they can't keep it in the classroom for some reason. I am not exactly sure WHY the afterschool doesn't want it there but they don't).

I can report back in a few weeks how the worms handle our food scraps :)

The kids love them!

dissertating mom to three

Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes, plz let me know how the worms do! 

It didn't occur to me until I read your post that I could keep a small bin in my outside storage closet.  At least they would be protected from the direct elements.  Do you have a type of bin that you suggest, or any websites you recommend to learn more?  There's so much info on the web it takes forever to sort through the good from the bad.   I've never done worms before... dumping scraps in a pile in the backyard years ago is the most I've done.

Strange that an afterschool program would be against compost worms.  Seems like the sort of thing they would encourage...a great lesson in biology...guess someone doesn't like the idea of bugs inside!

User Tag List