What have you repurposed lately....brag please! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

#61 of 82 Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just made another jean skirt out of a pair of jeans... Then I turned the tops of the jeans into aprons. Also made scripture totes from another pair of jeans and Im making my oldest a purse.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#62 of 82 Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 AM

I took our old coffee table and painted the top with chalkboard paint and the rest of it with just flat paint. Now my daughter has a chalkboard but at 1/2 the cost of a easel. 

pumabearclan and starsmagick like this.
#63 of 82 Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 PM

I took old receiving blankets and turned them into reversible baby smock bibs for my 1 year old. I am no expert sewer, so I was really happy with the result!

luckymamaoftwo likes this.

Blogger at Organic Living for a Healthy Family.

#64 of 82 Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 PM

Awesome idea!

#65 of 82 Old 11-05-2012, 03:58 PM

A friend of mine gave me this halter top probably about 4 or 5 years ago and I played with it a little bit then, but couldn't make it fit me right.  Well, I just pulled it out again today and decided to alter it to fit my DD.  I took in the sides and added straps and voila! adorable top for her!  She loves it!  And it can be worn over a long sleeve shirt in the winter and then as a tank top in the summer.

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#66 of 82 Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Cute! And your dd looks really happy to have it!

#67 of 82 Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Thanks!  She came home today saying that 2 of her friends want to know if I can make them shirts like that too--lol!

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#68 of 82 Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Those are some adorable costumes and love the halter top refashion. Using things we already have to make great new things is so much fun. I need to get some more of my creations photographed.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#69 of 82 Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 PM

Made "baby legs" from a pair of socks that had holes in the toes.  Very soft, dark brown in colour.  I just cut the foot part off and did a quick hem around the ankles so they won't unravel.

Mama505 likes this.

hang.gif knit.gif chicken3.gif treehugger.gif Kristin, partner to eat.gif Ron who came with DSS7 kid.gif

heartbeat.gifOur first arrived March 2013!! nocirc.gif

#70 of 82 Old 12-27-2013, 05:32 PM

I knitted a rug from old t-shirts (with the largest knitting needles) and  a few baskets too. I made underwear from t-shirt as well. Curtains from flat sheet. I am not sure how to add photo from flickr -it seems like it wants image url, and flickr doesn't allow direct link to the picture, because they want it to be linked to their webpage. But you can see them on my photostream at flicker.com/feltingme .

#71 of 82 Old 12-28-2013, 08:36 PM

I made a really cool nook cover for my mom out of an old linen shirt, and then used some of the rest of it to make my father in law an eyeglass case with an elastic strap to attach to whatever book he is reading.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#72 of 82 Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 PM

How do you make diapers/covers from a sheet?  I love that idea!

#73 of 82 Old 04-03-2014, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I was having trouble finding the kind of baby wipes I want for my new baby: terry on one side, flannel on the other, in a variety of prints to make diaper changes fun!  I have a sewing machine but no time to sew anytime soon.  My friend offered to make them for me as a baby present!  The terry is new, but for the flannel, she is using the good parts of my old PJ pants and my mother-out-law's two old nightgowns.  I love that my baby will have "heirloom" fabric for her wipes. :love

Mother-out-law also gave me some rectangles cut from old dark-colored T-shirts that I can use for my own cloth wipes postpartum.  I may just throw them away rather than bother washing them, especially the first week or so, but it will be great to have this super-soft cloth when I am tender.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#74 of 82 Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 PM

Talking School notebooks

Just put all the unused notebook paper from the kids school notebooks into a three ring binder I can use for notes for books I'm reading or class next semester!
pumabearclan likes this.
#75 of 82 Old 07-16-2014, 09:02 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Once upon a time, I had a home business making onesies, rompers, dresses, booties, and baby hats from old t-shirts (thrift stores and yard sales).

Once upon another time, I built a retaining wall, waterfall, and edged a koi pond with bowling balls. Assorted colors. 265 (if I remember right), for a nickel each at a Goodwill outlet. It took several trips in my station wagon.

More recently, I made a "wall garden" for herb plants, by fastening old pieces of rain gutter to the fence. I covered my date book /scheduler with a felted sweater, unknit a favorite worn sweater and used the yarn to knit socks, crocheted a rug from t-shirt strips (it soon became a dog bed). That's all I can think of right now.
EnviroBecca and pumabearclan like this.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#76 of 82 Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm jealous. I have never scored on bowling balls in the thrift store. Strike!
#77 of 82 Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Got any pictures of the bowling balls, Mamarhu? That sounds awesome!

Hmmm I guess I'm not very creative in that dept....the only way I ever repurpose anything is "hey kids! Wanna play with/take apart this thing before I toss it?" I did stick a cracked/bent stained glass lampshade in the garden as a suncatcher recently but that's about it.
pumabearclan likes this.
#78 of 82 Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I moved several plants this year to other parts of the landscape in order to have a bigger vegetable garden, and I am using all the pots I had stashed away for vegetables as well. Cut up blank sections of junk mail for notepaper. Save all shipping materials to reuse for ebay sales.
#79 of 82 Old 07-17-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Oh, I forgot about the junk I drag home from work. Inflatable load locks-4 ft x 6 ft plastic "pillows" used to keep truck loads from shifting-make the best toys ever. After they wear out we use them for hauling brush or stuff with hay for targets. Even better, one company I deal with uses new 2x4s for the same purpose, and they never want them back! I'm 5 trucks away from enough to build dd2 a loft bed.
pumabearclan likes this.
#80 of 82 Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We remodeled our kitchen last summer, and almost all the old cabinets found new homes. Some went into our laundry room (replacing a metal shelf that went to our church storage room); one went to our neighbors, in their mud room; a few went to the other neighbor's garage; the remainder were installed in our garage. The only cabinets we tossed were two crappy lazy susans, and the sink base (which we had to tear apart to remove). We saved any pieces that were real wood, not particle board.

I purged closets recently, and came upon my wedding dress (27 years old). I had a dress made to fit an American Girl doll, and the rest of the dress went to a woman who makes gowns for stillborn babies.

pumabearclan likes this.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Last edited by nd_deadhead; 08-26-2014 at 12:23 PM.
#81 of 82 Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh that is beautiful.

My repurposing is not beautiful at all. More like on-site recycling. I shredded my old financial papers and now using them as litter in my chicken nesting boxes. From there they will go to the compost.
pumabearclan likes this.
#82 of 82 Old 08-05-2014, 10:37 AM

Being a young couple on a budget, I collapse & save a lot of diaper/wipe boxes. When I was saving milk to go on a vacation I used a wipe box in the freezer for keep all of the milk bags contained. I also have kept the plastic bags w/ snaps that the new SwaddlePods® and such come in, and I use that to hold spare clothes in the diaper bag. Could be used for anything travel!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page