What have you repurposed lately....brag please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

#1 of 84 Old 09-07-2010, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to hear what you have repurposed lately, or in the past...something that make you feel proud regardless of whether it was an innovative idea or just something you finally got around to.

Share, brag, and share some more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 84 Old 09-13-2010, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I turned old dish cloths (hems started fringing) into dish rags and others into family cloth, and an old cotton / linen sweater into nursing pads.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#3 of 84 Old 09-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I turned an old leather jacket into slippers for my ds. Needless to say, there will be more!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#4 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 02:49 AM

I haven't done it yet, but I have the idea of turning DH's old pants legs into those hanging things to store plastic bags for reuse. Just sewing elastic in the top and bottom. These had outside pockets and I thought it would look neat for kids to lift the pocket flap to shove the bag down into :0).
#5 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 AM

I took jeans and turned them into denim stuffed animals.

I take t-shirts and cut them into strips and knit them into dish scrubbies.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#6 of 84 Old 09-25-2010, 03:17 AM

We turned dh's childhood dresser into an entertainment center. It was just taking up room in an extra bedroom for a few years and we were about to get rid of it, but figured we should give it another chance. Redoing it was easy - we sanded it down, painted it, took out the top drawers to use for components and replaced the hardware (the old hardware wasn't really salvageable after 20 years of use). It's great for storage, and looks really neat too. Dh originally found it in a back alley so it's had a very long life.

Of course all of the pp's remind me that I really need to bone up on my sewing skills again. Such awesome ideas.

~T | head-strong ap mama to 2 fur-kids | TTC since 2001 | remembering 8/00, 5/04, 1/07 & fur-kids, Apollo (04/03-12/09), Bella (04/06-06/12) & Keevah (06/03-04/14)
#7 of 84 Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 PM

Well, it's not strictly a repurpose since I made two small items out of one big, but last week I turned a king sized down comforter into two twins sized down comforters. Now they just need duvet covers!
#8 of 84 Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 PM

Im in the middle of turning a really pink fluffy bedskirt into two tutus and two sets of fairy wings for my daughters' christmas present.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 84 Old 10-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
Im in the middle of turning a really pink fluffy bedskirt into two tutus and two sets of fairy wings for my daughters' christmas present.
I really love that idea!

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#10 of 84 Old 10-08-2010, 12:48 PM

The people we bought this house from left a junky old BBQ. It works, but it's really dirty. I don't know how we'd ever get it to a point where we could use it for cooking.

We're going to take the lid off and use it to make a fire pit so we can have a fire for Guy Fawkes day in the backyard.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#11 of 84 Old 12-01-2010, 04:57 AM

Haven't done it yet but turning all our old jeans into a Shag Rag Rug - cutting into 4 x 1 inches strips and knoting around a punch of apple bags - the hard plastic kind with holes in them (a couple put together) - saw the idea on a Home Design Show.

Old Toilet Wipes get sewn together in groups of 3-5 (stacked on top of each other) for rags and dusting cloths.

...man I am totally drawing a blank on anything else.

Erin

lady.gifNatural, Dancing, Sewing WAHMommie to 3 beautiful girls reading.gif  Peace.gif wave.gif and an awesome step-son nut.gif
#12 of 84 Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Old t-shirts get turned into family cloth and cloth diapers

I used a no longer in use foam mattress to make a mini crib mattress for the baby (I have a bunch of wool coat fabric yardage that I used to make a waterproof cover)

Old rubbermaid totes got turned into worm composting bins

I plan use my brothers clothes to make a memory quilt for our girls (he passed away 12 years ago)

I use leftover diaper PUL to make snack bags and sandwhich wrappers for our girls lunches

DH's military uniforms will be used to make myself a diaper bag or hand bag or both

I also used leftover diaper materials to make my own PP mama cloth

I have a ton of felted wool sweaters that I got for free and want to use them to make some dryer balls and possibly a wool blanket

Oh and this a GREAT thread. Can't wait to see more great idea's.

#13 of 84 Old 12-23-2010, 07:43 PM

Used old flat sheets to make pj pants for the family.  We never use the flat sheets on our beds.  I also repurposed one of dh's old shirts that was too small for him into a pair of pants for our almost 3 year old.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#14 of 84 Old 12-30-2010, 01:05 PM

Today I am cutting up a skirt and getting out some dry beans that have gone bad and am going to make a hot pack to stick at the foot of the bed a little while before we get in to get it warmed up. smile.gif

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#15 of 84 Old 12-30-2010, 04:05 PM

I made 15 diapers and 20 inserts from a ripped fitted sheet, about two dozen old/ ripped t-shirts and a wrong size tablecloth. I plan to make a patchy picnic blanket with the scraps, the bottom of which will be half of a popped air mattress so it's waterproof.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#16 of 84 Old 01-02-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

I made 15 diapers and 20 inserts from a ripped fitted sheet, about two dozen old/ ripped t-shirts and a wrong size tablecloth. I plan to make a patchy picnic blanket with the scraps, the bottom of which will be half of a popped air mattress so it's waterproof.

Darn it---I threw away our air mattress that had an unfixable hole in it!

Awesome thread....taking notes!

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#17 of 84 Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 PM

I am using my birth tub liner to make a hoop house for my garden seedlings this Spring.  

#18 of 84 Old 01-18-2011, 03:52 PM

Old boxers with holes in become family cloth. And I'm sewing fitted diapers out of free conference swag t-shirts. Once the next one is done I'm planning to take a picture and send it to the website it advertises. :)

Jenn, breastfeeding, cosleeping, cloth diapering, babywearing Mummy to Danny (5/2009)
#19 of 84 Old 09-18-2011, 01:47 AM

i just moved to Australia with only two suitcases of clothes and minimal other things. My fience here gave me some old dress shirts, ties, and t-shirts which I've been sewing into new halter blouses and babydolls for upcoming summer, reverse applique corset shirts (Alabama Stitch Book which I just saw in a library here), and a necktie dress and purse. 

Over the years I've made hot water bottle covers, slippers, and dolls from felted sweaters; cloth TP from old t-shirts; handkerchiefs from beautiful $2 fine lightweight linen shirts from the thrift store; bowl covers from old tea towels and dresser scarves that were getting holey at either end; a laundry peg bag from a vintage baby dress; cloth napkins from old tablecloths; washcloths and handtowels from old bath towels;  children's meditation cushions from old brightly colored linen women's dresses; sandwich wraps, snack bags, produce bags from various old shirts and muslin sheets; pot scrubbers from plastic mesh bags (oranges, onions); Christmas crackers from toilet paper tubes; and lots of other stuff. 

Mostly we don't actually buy a lot of stuff and packaging that has to be dealt with (recycled or repurposed) so I might be given things or I get them at a thrift store with a particular project in mind. 

Right now I'm about to turn a 90s high-waisted pair of stretch pants in a lively yellow gingham check pattern into a retro 40s bathing suit. the high waisted "shorts" bottom will cover the stretch marks that go all the way through my belly button and cover my rear end and the rest of each pants leg will make the halter top. I'm going to embroider some red cherries or something else onto the suit to perk it up. 

My new mother-in-law gave them to me and they fit, but they are out-dated and a bit to revealing as pants. 

I love to make new things. I hope more people will post what they are making to share ideas.

#20 of 84 Old 09-25-2011, 06:43 PM

This month:

I turned several flannel receiving blankets into a whole fleet of double-ply baby wipes.

My 4-year-old and I cut the leg off an old pair of pants and filled it with stale flax seed, dried lavender, and chamomile.  Now I microwave it at night as a lovely warm "go to sleep pillow"

Made room-darkening curtains for my son's room out of a cool old tapestry and a table-cloth (as the liner).

#21 of 84 Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Love this thread!

I'm working on a toddler Christmas dress from a maternity bridesmaid dress.

One of my favorite projects was a sweater dress for my 4yo from an adult sweater.

#22 of 84 Old 10-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Fun thread!

I turned old holey t-shirts donated to the nature resort I'm working in (only one week left, yay!) into t-shirt yarn and had the kids visiting there make bracelets, coasters and potholders.  All the toilet paper rolls have gone to crafts.  We ate a coconut for an exotic dessert and now it's a bird feeder.  A sweater that got too felted is getting made into a toy horse.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#23 of 84 Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e13lorena View Post

Haven't done it yet but turning all our old jeans into a Shag Rag Rug - cutting into 4 x 1 inches strips and knoting around a punch of apple bags - the hard plastic kind with holes in them (a couple put together) - saw the idea on a Home Design Show.

Old Toilet Wipes get sewn together in groups of 3-5 (stacked on top of each other) for rags and dusting cloths.

...man I am totally drawing a blank on anything else.

Erin

I love shag rag rugs..dd has one in her room and we have a big area one in the play room, but we actually paid money for someone's rags! Could you provide more details on how you did it? What an awesome way to use clothes that are too beat up to pass along!
#24 of 84 Old 10-28-2011, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I love repurposing things but I have to be careful not to save everything just in case I can think of a repurpose months ahead!

Anyway last week I made a dog bed for DDs stuffed dog using some fabric left over from a previous project and the foam inner of our old baby changing mat. I'm hoping it can sit somewhere in her room so we can find the stuffed dog at bedtime as she likes to sleep with him.

#25 of 84 Old 11-02-2011, 03:57 PM

Loving this thread!!!

Our kitchen got destroyed by a water line recently so we are ripping it all out.  I went to the Habitat for Humanity store and WOW!!! what a treasure trove!!! I hated the wire rack shelves - the cheapy bendy kind, ya know?  that came with the house so I've been keeping my eyes peeled for some kind of cool book shelf or dresser type thing to fit in the pantry spot. 

I've got some towels about ready to turn into family cloth, my daughter made a really cool back pack out of an old pair of jeans.

I've got a whole bunch of old mylar potato chip type bags saved from friends to try to make snack bags.  I found a pattern to put fabric on the outside and the mylar inside and they go in the dishwasher.  We use the dishwasher a lot here because I measured and it uses so much less water than my OCD hand dishwashing. 

I have a project to post in another thread with questions...

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#26 of 84 Old 11-04-2011, 02:25 PM

I turned a bunch of my MILs old yoga pants and shirts into about a dozen PJ bottoms for my daughter.  The long sleeve shirts were the easiest, they were already sewn through in the leg area. :)  I think she one of the few toddlers that sleeps in bamboo, Egyptian and pima cotton - plus they were all free!

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#27 of 84 Old 11-12-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granthammom View Post

Well, it's not strictly a repurpose since I made two small items out of one big, but last week I turned a king sized down comforter into two twins sized down comforters. Now they just need duvet covers!

Hey, I did the same on a smaller scale: I turned new-born sized cloth diapers into larger ones by sewing pairs together.  More than doubling their life-span as diapers.

#28 of 84 Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 AM

I have a ton of old jeans that are worn out.  I wear out all my jeans in exactly the same spot--the inner upper thigh.  And I continue to wear them until it's practically indecent.  It's too high up to turn into shorts, so I've been just collecting jeans over the past I-don't-know-how-many years because I didn't know what to do with them, and I couldn't bear throwing them out.  Most of our too-worn-out clothes get turned into rags, but I didn't think denim would make good rags.  I thought about making a quilt, but I'm not quite that crafty!  A friend of mine is making reusable gift bags, and I miss having them (my family always had them when I was growing up--remember when the gas station used to give them out?) so I think I might make a bunch of denim gift bags!

Also, one of the jeans has already been turned into something.  (Well, just a little bit of it.)  DH had to replace a bit of the floor in our house (it was caving in...this house needs to be torn down within a couple of years!) and while he did that, he put in a hatch so he can easily access our water valve.  Otherwise, he has to worm his way under the house because our crawl space can barely be called a 'crawl' space!  Anyway, the handle of the hatch cover is now the hem of my old jeans!

#29 of 84 Old 11-30-2011, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Paper bags into flooring... awesome!

#30 of 84 Old 11-30-2011, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

one more, I turned my tomato cages into trees.  Ok I wrapped them with Lights and plugged them in.  I was going to put them outside since they're about 3 ft tall but they're inside because they look so pretty.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page