Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

"Kleenex disposable handtowel"

Oh!  Germ free!

A fresh towel EVERY TIME!

Buy our stuff, wipe some clean water on it from your WASHED hands, and throw it away!

Aside from the wastefulness aspect, who is stupid (or rich enough) to buy a freakin paper towel dispenser for their home bathroom?

BettinaAuSucre likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 AM

LOL, I went to someone's house last week and I couldn't find the hand towel in the bathroom anywhere.  I figured they had just forgotten to lay one out and used my pants.  The second time I went in there I was with DD, and so I was sitting in there for aaaaages waiting to do her business and I realized that what I had thought was a box of tissues was actually those things!  I'd never seen them before.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#3 of 31 Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd View Post

Oh!  Germ free!

Buy our stuff, wipe some clean water on it from your WASHED hands, and throw it away!

Aside from the wastefulness aspect, who is stupid (or rich enough) to buy a freakin paper towel dispenser for their home bathroom?

I totally feel the same way!!!!  How wasteful! 

edensmama likes this.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#4 of 31 Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 AM

LOL - what will the world think of next!!  What's even more sad is that people will actually buy it.

#5 of 31 Old 01-06-2011, 07:35 AM

seriously but everyone is so afraid of germs now I bet we will see it a lot!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 31 Old 01-06-2011, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

But, but .... just THINK of all of the water you're wasting by washing those reusable towels.  eyesroll.gif (Sarcasm).

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#7 of 31 Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM

I've been lurking on this site forever.  When I saw this topic I had to sign up to post...

This commercial drives me insane!  I can't believe that people feel like they need disposable hand towels to wipe their clean hands with in their own house.  It boggles my mind that anyone would even buy them, but apparently people do :)

#8 of 31 Old 01-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I agree. I change the hand towels in my bathrooms sometimes daily if one of us is fighting a cold but I could never condone this. How many trees died to make that possible? Now, if it were all post consumer paper, I might be tempted.... somedays,  Sheepish.gifmaybe.

#9 of 31 Old 01-06-2011, 04:30 PM

I don't think the average person needs it, but here, you do need paper towels in your bathroom, (and paper cups, I believe) if you have a licensed home daycare.

Now me? I generally use old towels & wash cloths to clean up spills, so I don't use paper towels much for cleaning, let alone drying my hands.

#10 of 31 Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I've seen those in the store and I dont understand how they are any different than a regular roll of papertowels.  Well other than being like 6x the cost cuz they come in a triangle box  lol....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#11 of 31 Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 PM

There's that and at Babies R Us they have this NEW! SPECIAL! SANITIZED bottled water. Cause ya know, someone in Salt Lake City totally has to worry about typhoid in their tap water! A Brita pitcher or even boiling the water won't do. You have to go get a case of sanitized water for $20 or your baby could GET A DISEASE!!!! eyesroll.gif

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#12 of 31 Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd View Post

Oh!  Germ free!

I actually have friends who think these things are great :(  My mom, while she has no problem eating in restaurants, is a real germaphobe in her, and others homes.  She only buys the throw away salt and pepper shakers.  For her own house!  

#13 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I can see putting those out for a multi-family playdate or homeschool event. Multiple hygiene-impaired small people using my bathroom always leaves me with a nasty sopping wet hand towel. 

But yeah, if I really wanted to be germ-conscious I'd put a hand dryer in my bathroom! 

http://handdryer.com/all_hand_dryers.htm

Oh, great. Now I'm lusting after a home hand dryer. twins.gif

#14 of 31 Old 03-28-2011, 02:31 PM

I get mad every time I see this commercial.

For full disclosure, we used to keep paper towels in the bathroom instead of a towel.  DD was a 28 weeker preemie and came home from the NICU at the height of cold/flu/RSV season.  I was a terrified germa-phobe (and first time mama to add to that!)

Now that I have 2 healthy, robust kids, it's towels all the way.

#15 of 31 Old 03-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post

I can see putting those out for a multi-family playdate or homeschool event. Multiple hygiene-impaired small people using my bathroom always leaves me with a nasty sopping wet hand towel. 

But yeah, if I really wanted to be germ-conscious I'd put a hand dryer in my bathroom! 

http://handdryer.com/all_hand_dryers.htm

Oh, great. Now I'm lusting after a home hand dryer. twins.gif

I love those.. but I could imagine being wakened at night by one of my kids that just "has" wash their hands.
#16 of 31 Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM

That commercial drives me crazy too! I'm fine with using hand towels and washing them. I don't think running the washer is a big hassle like some other people I know.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#17 of 31 Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM

i hate that commercial so much... its so annoying

#18 of 31 Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 PM

I always thought that's what my jeans were for..  wash hands, notice that some child has run off with the hand towel that was right there five minutes ago- resort to using jeans while trying to locate missing towel- which has inevitably been used as a cape or something similar... 

Seriously though, that commercial does annoy the bejeepers out of me.  I generally change the hand towel every day or so (usually every day) as part of my 'swish through the bathroom' routine.  I mean really- is a single hand towel THAT much more laundry? 

rachelsmama and rebecca_n like this.
#19 of 31 Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I pointed out this commercial once to my hubby about how people waste resources and money and his response was something along the lines of "what a great idea!" *facepalm*

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#20 of 31 Old 08-12-2011, 12:11 PM

I have known people who use a roll of paper towels in the bathroom - wall-hanging dispenser and all.  I never understood the idea.  But a "special" more expensive paper towel for drying hands? absurd.  

We change our hand towels daily, and more often if there are other kids visiting the house.  

I don't even have paper towels, napkins or kleenex.  The only disposable paper product we buy is toilet paper, and I don't even use that much for myself or my toddler.  The other members of the house are set in their ways ...

... don't even get me started on bottled water ... or styrofoam.  My MIL served Thanksgiving dinner on styrofoam last year, IN her new house - no real justifiable reason.  <cry>  (I could have kind of understood maybe for the 5 little kids, but the GROWNUPS?)

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#21 of 31 Old 09-18-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post

I don't even have paper towels, napkins or kleenex.  The only disposable paper product we buy is toilet paper

--janis

ditto, and it makes me CRINGE when other people use paper or plastic disposables because it's "so much easier" :'(

ditto!

Katie, mommy to Oliver (2007) and brand new Ava Estelle (2014)! 
Decluttering Challenge:  303/2014 items are gone!
$728 made from selling my "stuff"
(I've gotten rid of 3711 items over the last four years on this forum! Last years selling total: $456)
#22 of 31 Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 PM

I read about these on another message board I go to, and I had no idea what they were talking about.  They were talking about how great they were, etc., etc.  And I had no clue.  And then somebody gave me a link or explained it, and I think I may have sat at the computer with my jaw dropped open.  I saw them in the store and couldn't believe my eyes!  I told my mother about it last time I was visiting and she refused to believe that they existed and that people used them. 

#23 of 31 Old 12-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Ugh!  How much do they think we distrust our family members to use the towels only on clean hands?  And if a family member is sick, wouldn't I catch it in some other way?

#24 of 31 Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM

this product add irritated me almost as much as the one that suggested we use throwaway dishes everyday.

#25 of 31 Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

You scoff but I know MANY people who think paper plates and cups and plastic utensils are a viable option if you don't like doing dishes.  They think I'm a giant weirdo for not owning any of that or any paper towels or napkins or tissues.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#26 of 31 Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amautik View Post

I read about these on another message board I go to, and I had no idea what they were talking about.  They were talking about how great they were, etc., etc.  And I had no clue.  And then somebody gave me a link or explained it, and I think I may have sat at the computer with my jaw dropped open.  I saw them in the store and couldn't believe my eyes!  I told my mother about it last time I was visiting and she refused to believe that they existed and that people used them. 

This commercial is about generating a need where there wasn't one before. All commercials are. This one seems to be pretty successful. Probably took a lot of money to put it on, plus the rest of the marketing around this product.

We greens need to become more clever about packaging our green message so that more people in the mainstream accept it. We're up against some very deep pockets of companies that are working to make those pockets even deeper.  But we need to fight back.

Truthfully, I haven't seen the commercial: we have no tv.  I consider it my act of civil disobedience.

#27 of 31 Old 05-07-2013, 02:58 AM

Here in Sweden, most public restrooms have something similar. Which makes sense, considering all the people coming and going and drying their hands. But at home? *shakes head* A container of old fashioned cotton handkerchiefs, and a basket for the used ones lined with a mesh laundry bag, works just as well to contain germs. Just pop the whole thing in the washing machine with the other whites at a high temperature and there you go. I can almost guarantee that by turning the tap off, before drying your hands, you will have picked up all those germs you avoid by using a disposable towel anyhow. Same issue I have with those hygienic soap dispenser thingies...you still need to touch the tap after you have washed your hands to turn it off.

#28 of 31 Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 PM

This is BIZARRE.

People always think I'm weird for not having any paper towels in my home. I haven't had them in years -- I just use dish towels to clean up any spills, or old rags for *really* gross jobs (like cleaning up my cat's hairballs). I think buying my groceries on a bike or on foot makes a big difference for me... I have to pick what I really need based on how much I can carry. Paper towels are unwieldy to carry when I already have an easy alternative at home!

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#29 of 31 Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I love how you deal with the washing of your hand towels. I think I will try that idea for when we have company especially.
#30 of 31 Old 09-01-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesong View Post
Here in Sweden, most public restrooms have something similar. Which makes sense, considering all the people coming and going and drying their hands. But at home? *shakes head* A container of old fashioned cotton handkerchiefs, and a basket for the used ones lined with a mesh laundry bag, works just as well to contain germs. Just pop the whole thing in the washing machine with the other whites at a high temperature and there you go. I can almost guarantee that by turning the tap off, before drying your hands, you will have picked up all those germs you avoid by using a disposable towel anyhow. Same issue I have with those hygienic soap dispenser thingies...you still need to touch the tap after you have washed your hands to turn it off.
Good point about soap dispenser, I hadn't considered that before.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page