Reducing or eliminating paper towels? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been paper towel free for almost 4 years. I just got tired of literally throwing my money in the trash can. We use microfiber, old dish towels, old washcloths, etc. for drying our hands. As for my husband, he figured it out quickly when the paper towels weren't there. He doesn't seem to mind it anymore.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 02-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanette0269 View Post

i love this idea...but we have so many glass tables.  how do the terry/micro towels work with windex on glass?  that really is their primary use. 

Best thing I've found for glass is actually just plain old straight white vinegar & newsprint.  Old phone books might work too but I just use the free local paper that comes once a week.  Works like a charm & no streaks!

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#33 of 33 Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinCanada View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanette0269 View Post

i love this idea...but we have so many glass tables.  how do the terry/micro towels work with windex on glass?  that really is their primary use. 

Best thing I've found for glass is actually just plain old straight white vinegar & newsprint.  Old phone books might work too but I just use the free local paper that comes once a week.  Works like a charm & no streaks!

Same here.  I use a spray bottle mixed with a combo of Ecover dish soap, vinegar, and water.  I use that for windows, granite counters, mirrors, etc.  They all come out crystal clean.

We still buy paper towels, but we only really use them for grease (bacon, crisco on pans, etc), to clean up cat puke, and nasty stuff like that.  One roll will last us a month or two, maybe more, depending on how often we do things that require them.  We have a big drawer in our kitchen full of all different types of towels and wash cloths.  Each of them have a different purpose, and DH and DS know what they are for.  I have them organized like this:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ShyGecko/71db7ccc.jpg

The drawer is right next to the sink.

We also have a stack of random old wash cloths in an upper cabinet (simply b/c they don't fit in the drawer) and those are used for germy stuff like cleaning bathrooms and washing out the litter boxes. The striped "cleaning cloths" are used for washing the counters, tables, etc.  The dish washing cloths are used, obviously, for washing dishes and that's it.  Both of those are terry cloth.  The white counter drying towels are a microfiber and I use those to dry counters and tables b/c they soak up the water quickly.  The white "dish and hand drying" towels are tea towels and I like them b/c they don't leave lint behind on the dishes.  The "various pretty towels" are the ones that get hung on the oven handle and we use it for drying hands and various other things.  These are the only ones that get used more than once.  The rest of them get used once and thrown into a dry bucket next to the washing machine and I wash them all once it gets full.  Other than a couple small stains on a couple of them, none of them really have any stains.  They all get washed in the same water, so I'm not sure why I insist they all get used for certain purposes.  Maybe I'm just crazy.  LOL 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page