Divided container for toddler lunch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2011, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! I hope this is in the correct forum. If not, I'd be happy to request that it be moved to the correct place.

Our 20 month old twins are going to a one-day-a-week parents' day out starting in a few weeks, which is both heart-wrenching and also exciting for them (they are ready to do more than stay home all the time, LOL).

Anyway, they will be eating lunch there -- great. The directions from the PDO were very specific, down to the correct type of lunch box/container they want you to use (kind of). They want a single-container with a single lid and internal compartments to divide the food options. They said "plastic" in their description, but I'm picky about "plastic" and would be open to something else that would be appropriate/not too heavy/not dangerous. The kids do not have to open/close themselves, which does help a bit.

I've looked around online (reuseit.com being my go-to standard), but am a little uncertain about where to even look. Does any of you use or know of a product that sounds like a place to at least start?

Also, parallel question, what about reusable snack/sandwich bags? Ready to go there, but would love recommendations, as they seem fairly pricey per unit and I want to be sure I spend wisely.

Any help greatly appreciated! TIA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Normally I would plug Laptop Lunches, because I feel like they are good for toddlers but work great for elementary school-age children as well.  My stepdaughter has been using hers for four years now.  The all-one-container thing might make Laptop Lunches technically not fit the request.

Goodbyn might be a good bet.  I have no personal experience with them, but they are super cute and all one piece.

love.gif

Old 08-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Have you seen Lunchbots? I got my from reuseit.com...we have the yellow one (small, 2  compartments). It's perfect for a toddler lunch/snack.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies!

Yes, I have seen both Goodbyn and Lunchbots, and those are two at the top of my (current) list. I also got this link from a friend, that had a few more choices, too:

http://www.soundfeelings.com/free/lunch_box_reviews.htm

I am a little unsure about the leak-ability of these boxes. I guess that's the drawback of the single container with dividers versus different containers like the Laptop Lunch. Hmmm. Maybe I should just get over it? Also, the Goodbyn (even the Bynto model) is pretty big -- the littler one is still nearly 11" tall x 7" wide x 3 " deep ... pretty big. Which I guess is a pro and a con ;) But I'd still have to find something to put it into (another lunch bag) -- and size could be an issue.

The Go Green Lunch Box is appealing for water-proofness, but I think it's also pretty big. Anyone seen/tried it?

Thanks again for your help ... I find this very useful!!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This seems to fit all requirements and it is metal!  I have not used it, but looks good.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

http://www.planetbox.com/pictures.html

Sorry, here is the link

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 08-01-2011, 06:55 PM

I *think* Lunchbots makes a leak-proof container now...with a silicone seal.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I just bought these for my kids.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UIRUJ2

Love them so far.  They are plastic, but better quality plastic and BPA free.  I looked around at a lot of lunchboxes and couldn't justify the $40-50 price tag.  So, these are a bargain at 4 for $14. The matching coolers are $8 a piece. 

They are not water tight!  But then, I don't normally send yogurt, soup, liquids, etc in lunches  The website does show a method of using a small amount of press and seal style wrap to make a watertight seal, but I haven't tried it.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

For hot items, my kids love the foogo thermos.

User Tag List