So confused about reusable food bags - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really want to make my own reusable sandwich and snack bags, but am having such a hard time deciding on "safe" fabric choices.  There is so much conflicting info out there, and when I do find what seems to be a good choice for fabric, I can't really tell for sure if it's safe.  I've pretty much decided I don't want to use PUL laminated fabric, even if the PUL isn't againt the food.  But why is a "coated" polyurethane supposed to be okay when a laminate is not?  And what about the cotton laminates that I'm seeing at some sites, including some selling "safe" premade bags?   Anyone able to tell me their favorite fabric, source for it, and why they've decided it's safe to use?  Also, how their bags are holding up and how water/spill resistant they've found them to be?

Thanks!

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 03:59 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Good luck. When I was investigating premade options I couldn't get a single vendor to confirm the material so we don't have them. We either use plastic ziploc (reused over and over), or baby washclothes from my stash of 1,000 or a glass container.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

What is it that you're looking to put in them?  I make (and sell at our local farmers' market) sandwich/ snack bags made from a layer of woven cotton and unbleached cotton muslin as the inner.  They're not waterproof, but we haven't found that we need waterproof sandwich/ snack bags.  If we have a wet snack, like cut up fruit, we use a glass container.  We have used our bags for multiple kinds of sandwiches, including egg and chicken salads, dry snacks, and grapes.

I know some people use rip stop nylon.  Haven't looked into the food safeness of it.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:52 AM

I've read online that ripstop nylon is not food safe generally. But I also used to use it for produce bags that I made (inspired by Kootsac.etsy.com

I have to agree about the waterproof question. I've gone on to just use cloth like muslin and no water proof layer. If I need a bit less mess, then I wrap in waxed paper and then put it in the fabric (like apple slices).

User Tag List