What would you do with these (pretty much broken) items? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We typically Freecycle things we don't need, offer them to a friend, take the to a swap, or keep them in the attic until we do need them.  I like the idea of repurposing, but for me, this usually just consists of using junk mail as scrap paper or using glass pickle jars to store my own soups.  I'm not actually handy or crafty, and neither is my husband.

Here are some items that no one on Freecycle wants, I am confident none of my friends would want, and which I can't imagine us ever needing, ourselves.  Can you tell me what you would do with them?

Two clothing racks, about five feet wide each, that constantly fell apart, bent in places, and had to be repaired with duct tape.  They are not completely unusable, if someone has light clothing, doesn't mind things being a little ugly, is willing to add another roll or two of duct tape to each one, but we have already replaced them with a permanent pole in the room where I keep my clothing.  I was just sick of picking all of my clothing off the floor and adding new duct tape.  I am inclined to send this to a landfill, as terrible as it sounds.

An coffee maker (not especially nice-looking, but works), to which we broke the glass carafe.  We searched for a replacement carafe, but did not find one, and bought a stainless steel coffeemaker, instead.  We actually accumulated two of these carafe-less coffee makers, and managed to move on on Freecycle, but this one isn't budging.  I'm inclined to just put it in the attic and try to Freecycle it again later, or possibly look for another carafe for it again later, if the stainless steel one stops working.

Two chipped mugs.  We have plenty of non-chipped mugs, and I don't like putting my mouth on the chipped rims.  Apparently, everyone on Freecycle feels the same way.  I am inclined to trash these.

All suggestions are welcome, but I would especially love suggestions that didn't involve me taking on a big project.  Thanks!

#2 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for all the typos.  An = a, on = one, etc. redface.gif

#3 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 AM

you should be able to recycle the coffee-makers at an electronics/ appliance recycling center. these places that take old computers also usually take small appliances, wiring, etc. they may even take your wire clothes rack.

the chipped mugs you could smash up and make a mosiac.... if not, maybe you could smash them up and compost them?

#4 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I thought of the mosaic idea, and may do it, though in the end, I may end up using even more materials and not especially wanting to hang the mosaic - though it might be easier to move on Freecycle as art.  Hmmm!

Can you really compost mugs?  I'm intrigued.  I don't compost because I have a morbid fear of rodents (yes, I know I'm terrible), but a friend does.  The ceramic mugs are made in China, probably not out of any really garden-healthy mud or anything like that.  Are they good for gardens, or is just a kind of way to get rid of them?

#5 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSlocombe View Post

Can you really compost mugs?  I'm intrigued.  I don't compost because I have a morbid fear of rodents (yes, I know I'm terrible), but a friend does.  The ceramic mugs are made in China, probably not out of any really garden-healthy mud or anything like that.  Are they good for gardens, or is just a kind of way to get rid of them?

I honestly don't know, I just figure they are like 95% dirt so that it would probably be ok....

....or.... new revelation(!) you could use the pieces in the bottom of potted plants or under drainspouts for drainage!

Edit: proper composting shouldn't draw rodents, it never has for me. Even when I was child and my parent has an open compost heap...

#6 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 07:49 PM

They wouldn't really "compost" but you can certainly break them up and mix them into garden soil or into pots to aerate the soil.  

I generally collect broken/chipped ceramics and offer them as a "ceramics for crafts" on Freecycle.  but now, we have an artsy-resale shop in Houston, where I donate anything that could remotely ever be considered usable in arts & crafts.  they have a giant bin of broken ceramic-stuff.

As for compost attracting rodents - that hasn't been a problem for us.  The rodents are there whether or not you compost, to be honest.  Big cities have the worst rats :P  If you're really concerned about it, you can get an enclosed compost tumbler.  OR, compost inside a plastic trash can.  Drill a few small drain holes at the bottom, and in about 3 years, you'll have dirt at the bottom, even if you never stir the compost.  OR, you could cut the bottom out of the trash can and just lift it off the compost after 6 months or so.  Move to a different part of the yard, and start again.

The real key to successful composting is mixing the right ratio of green vs. brown matter.

silversparrow likes this.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#7 of 11 Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 PM

Can you use the clothing racks to support climbing plants or veggies (peas or beans) maybe? 

#8 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 01:23 PM

Could you use the chipped mugs to grow small herb plants, like near your kitchen window or something?  Especially those finicky herbs that don't always do well outside....cilantro, for example.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#9 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 02:33 PM

We also compost and do not have an issue with rodents.  They are more likely to come in our house than ransack the compost.  Are the drying racks metal or wood.  You could use the dowels for something..???  I have hung handmade pictures from material with dowels.  Might be able to use the coffee cups in a garden...just for decor, or to label your veggies in the garden.  I am not sure about the coffee maker, but I have noticed on craigslist that alot of people seem to be looking for crazy random stuff.  I gave a bunch of magazines to an impaired couple.  Good luck!!!

joy.gif

#10 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Oh!!!  I was mentioning CL....not to sell but to list as free. ;)

joy.gif

#11 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

What is "the swap"?

I would probably try the mugs and coffee maker at our local thrift shop. I donate almost all my stuff there. I freecycle occasionally, but it's more trouble for me really than just dumping a big ol' load at the thrift store. I think ours would take the mugs, not sure on the coffee maker.

The racks, eh, I could see landfilling those, or you might try putting them up on the street with a "free" sign if that works in your neighborhood. You'd be surprised what some people will take if it has a "free" sign on it. If it doesn't move, I think you've made a good faith effort to let it not be garbage, but the universe is telling you everyone else thinks it's garbage, too, and it's okay to get it out of your house.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

Tags
Reduce Reuse Recycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page