Family Cloth Users - How often do you make new cloths? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-31-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've been using family cloth for about 6 years, but are no longer diapering. I've been repurposing worn-out towels along with recycled bits of flannel to create new cloths, but they seem to be falling apart rather rapidly. My dryer is always FULL of their lint after a wash. I've made new ones every year for three years now. Right around this time of year too. Luckily, I've had a steady stream of dying thirteen year old towels, so it's worked out.

Originally, we bought wipes from WAHMs which were serged and likely made of new materials. Any ideas on how to make them last longer? We're trying to make them a bit larger this year. We had more towels and some hand-me-down flannel bits. Since we're not diapering, I really don't wash too often and absolutely must do two washes to get them clean since they tend to mildew quite rapidly.

Anyone else facing this issue?

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 PM

Serging the edges could help -- it sounds like maybe they are fraying a whole lot and disintegrating from there, maybe? Also, what are you using to wash them?

I use the "insert" portion of cloth pads (I only use cloth for menstruation or urine as I have shared laundry facilities and don't feel comfortable with anything potentially bacteria-laden) and they have serged edges, so they stay together pretty well.

Do you use anything like Bac-out on them? That's what I use.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck! :)

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#3 of 3 Old 07-20-2012, 12:45 PM

We have been using family cloth for 2-3 years now. I chop up DH's old boxer shorts when they get a hole in them and use those as family cloth. The flat woven fabric doesn't unravel and most of it has held up for the full 3 years. I add to our stash when another pair of boxers wear out. I feel a little weird about using underwear as a general purpose rag, so FC is an ideal use!

Jenn, breastfeeding, cosleeping, cloth diapering, babywearing Mummy to Danny (5/2009)

Tags
Reduce Reuse Recycle

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page