Repurpose/recycle old coir door mat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

My doormat is kind of sodden and falling apart.  I'm thinking it is a similar material to that used to line hanging baskets - coir? Something dense and a natural material?  I had the thought that I could cut it into strips and either compost it, or kind of tuck it discreetly into my garden behind plants where it might decompose, add to the soil and possibly hold moisture/act as a mulch?

Am I barking up a wierd tree here?  Has anyone else tried something like this?  (I won't be near a computer for a few days so if anyone responds please do not be offended if I do not respond in kind.)  Thanks in advance!

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals
#2 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 10:56 PM

Sure, sounds like you could cut it up and compost it. Or, maybe you could use it as mulch?

If you're pretty sure it's nothing but coir (no weird chemicals), I suppose you could also dry it out and use it to start fires.

#3 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I just built a worm bin today, so I would use it as bedding for that.  :)

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 6 Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

I vote for mulch.  Lay it under a bush, cover it up with some more mulch or compost.  No cutting up necessary.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  And SweetSilver, you win - I'm killing some grass and expanding a flower garden, and at the same time need to build up the soil as there's a bit of a slope.  I decided to lay the doormat on the grass and cover it with mulch - just hope it will break down. 

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals
#6 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

It will. eventually.  I mean, if you above the tree line high in the Andes or in a dry cave in Egypt then your mat with not decompose.

I'm guessing you do not live in those places.  So, eventually, it will be gone.  I promise your great grandchildren will find no sign of that mat when they lovingly remove the shrubs from your garden when the bulldozers level it in 100 years to make way for the freeway.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Tags
Reduce Reuse Recycle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page