Cloth produce bags, Anyone use them? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I take my own cloth bags to the grocery store, but I still use the plastic produce bags.  I hate using all these bags, especially since they're so thin, I can't really reuse them for anything else.  I've been thinking about making some cloth ones out of thin muslin, or similar material, but I have a couple of questions for those who are already using cloth produce bags. 

My first question is: How do you store your vegetables when you get home? I usually just keep the vegetables in the plastic bag when I put them in the fridge. I couldn't do this with cloth bags. Do you just put them all together in the crisper drawer?

Question number 2: Do you have any tips for making a really light weight bag? I wouldn't want the weight of the bag to add to the cost of the vegetables.

My blog, where I write about homeschooling, crafting, and just about everything else: www.s-thefiveofus.blogspot.com  My Etsy shop, where I sell Waldorf inspired, natural toys: www.etsy.com/shop/SteppingStoneToys

#2 of 4 Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM

http://wisdomofthemoon.blogspot.com/2008/01/cheap-easy-fabric-produce-bags.html

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 4 Old 09-01-2012, 05:21 PM

First of all, before I forget, I noticed at Harris Teeter that their plastic produce bags now say they are 100% degradable. I think they mention sticking them in your compost, which makes sense if they degrade! (If you have HT in your area, you can read about their eco-efforts here.)

Quote:

My first question is: How do you store your vegetables when you get home?

-- Yes, I store them in the drawer after washing them, but sometimes I lay them on a towel like this. It cuts down on sweating you sometimes get in plastic bags, and it keeps the drawer cleaner. As a side note... Even though I'm a vegetarian, my husband thaws packaged meats on these towels as well just in case there's leakage.

Quote:
Question number 2: Do you have any tips for making a really light weight bag? I wouldn't want the weight of the bag to add to the cost of the vegetables.

--I've used bags similar to these, and they never really add to the weight when there's several pieces in a bag. You can buy similar ones at stores like Whole Foods usually. I kind of inherited mine, but I could wash them right along with towels in the laundry and not worry. Etsy has lots of inspirational ideas for produce bags. You might find something easy to make yourself or even items listed within your price range.

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 09-01-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips and all the great links!  I have so many ideas on how to make them now.

My blog, where I write about homeschooling, crafting, and just about everything else: www.s-thefiveofus.blogspot.com  My Etsy shop, where I sell Waldorf inspired, natural toys: www.etsy.com/shop/SteppingStoneToys

Tags
Reduce Reuse Recycle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page