Used Mattress, Yes? No? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DF and I currently are sleeping on either the couches, or the floor, as we don't have a bed. We are going to try and save up money for a bed (or at least just a real mattress on the floor, as I'm pregnant and we will co-sleep), but not sure we will have it saved up before baby gets here. Anyway, I was talking to my mom, and she said that there are a lot of places that sell used mattresses, and we should go there, and get one. When I commented about germs, and bedbugs, and not knowing the history, she said spray with disinfectant, and cover with a plastic/cloth mattress cover, and that would kill germs and not let anything out. I still don't think that it's a good idea, and not comfortable with the idea of getting a used mattress, but maybe it's because I'm a germaphobe (?), and there's no actual harm/it's not that bad, and would save something from landfill, without exposing us to unknown things?

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#2 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 AM

I think as long as it doesn't have bedbugs, you are ok until you save up for something new. Growing up, my family (we were 4 kids on a farm during the early 80's- tough times!) never had new mattresses. In fact, last year we all chipped in and bought my dad and his wife the first new mattress of their lives, and they are in their 60's.

In a perfect world, we'd all sleep on organic locally made natural material beds. But in reality, we need something comfortable and affordable.

Personally, I'd skip the chemical disinfectants and air it out in the sun for awhile instead.

Good luck!

#3 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 04:13 PM

I'd use the power of the sun, too.  Not sure where you're located, but if it's sunny, I'd let the sun do its thing.

If you're somewhere really cold (like me), I'd leave it outside to freeze for a few days.  Either way, Mother Nature will do her thing.

hang.gif knit.gif chicken3.gif treehugger.gif Kristin, partner to eat.gif Ron who came with DSS7 kid.gif

heartbeat.gifOur first arrived March 2013!! nocirc.gif

#4 of 4 Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 AM

When we needed a mattress and were strapped for cash we got a new 4wd camping mattress. It was self inflating, but half-foam and half inflatable. So if you got a hole in it it was still extremely thick and comfy. I slept on this for a year and it was the comfiest mattress I have ever owned! You have to get the proper quality ones, not a plain air mattress- they are horrible. They are pricey just for camping, but compared to spring and bed mattresses they are SO cheap. I have a chance to get an organic one now, but I am torn about getting another one of the camping ones instead as I know how comfy they are. And the organic one will just settle and be so hard and uncomfortable and it costs about 10 times as much! LOL. 

Tags
Reduce Reuse Recycle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page