Which is more enviro-friendly--hand washing or dishwasher? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have a dishwasher and I go back and forth. I've read/heard that dishwashing is more environmentally friendly, but then again, you'd think hand-washing would be?  What do you think? 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#2 of 12 Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Hmm....THis is a good question. I think it might depend on whether you leave the water running when you wash.  If you have a divided sink and only use one sinkful of wash water and then can rinse in the other sink, I would think handwashing would be more ecofriendly.  But I'm not sure.  Someone must have stats on this?

CelloMomCars likes this.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 12 Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM

I've read that an eco friendly dishwasher is the best option followed by hand washing using the 2 sink method. I know that for me, using the dishwasher fully loaded on a low rinse air dry cycle is way more eco friendly than how I hand wash. Here are a couple links I found...

http://t.treehugger.com/treehugger/#!/entry/which-is-greener,519fa8a787443d6c8e53cadc/1

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/queen-of-green/faqs/cleaning/Hand-washing-versus-dishwashers/
#4 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

i have v. v. v. rarely seen anyone hand wash dishes with a conservative use of water. 

in fact i very often see the overuse of water for hand washing dishes. 

it can be done by hand that is. v. easily possible coz even if you dont have a divider sink you can use a plastic tub.

the other thing is the dishwasher is eco friendly if you have learnt how to correctly load it (surprising how few people actually know that) and use it to its maximum capacity instead of partially full. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 12 Old 09-12-2013, 03:26 AM

It depends how you compare the two I think. An eco-friendly dishwasher might use less water, but how many more resources were required just to make the dishwasher itself? And since every dishwasher I have ever used has been worthless at getting food off of dishes, I've always had to pre-wash them before using the dishwasher, and that would bump up the water usage a lot if it was included in the calculation.

I'm sure I use less water/energy/resources washing by hand than a dishwasher. Supposedly dishwashers save time, though I can hardly imagine how because the entire process requires handling the dishes repeatedly and the wash cycles themselves take like an hour to wash dishes that would take me 10 minutes. When I am hand washing, particularly dishes that aren't very dirty, I can rinse them off as soon as I take them to the sink then just pop them into the rack to dry. 

#6 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 PM

Assuming they are compared when using environment friendly soap, I would have to say soap

#7 of 12 Old 12-27-2013, 04:51 PM

Dishwashers also use electricity, not just water. So it seems, that hand washing wins.

#8 of 12 Old 02-14-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oread View Post

It depends how you compare the two I think. An eco-friendly dishwasher might use less water, but how many more resources were required just to make the dishwasher itself? And since every dishwasher I have ever used has been worthless at getting food off of dishes, I've always had to pre-wash them before using the dishwasher, and that would bump up the water usage a lot if it was included in the calculation.

I'm sure I use less water/energy/resources washing by hand than a dishwasher. Supposedly dishwashers save time, though I can hardly imagine how because the entire process requires handling the dishes repeatedly and the wash cycles themselves take like an hour to wash dishes that would take me 10 minutes. When I am hand washing, particularly dishes that aren't very dirty, I can rinse them off as soon as I take them to the sink then just pop them into the rack to dry. 

This is something that most people coming up with how "green" products are tend to not think of.  One of my favorite articles that goes over this topic is from Tree Hugger and located here: http://www.treehugger.com/kitchen-design/built-in-dishwashers-vs-hand-washing-which-is-greener.html
This does not include the manufacturing process of the dishwasher.  If you include that, handwashing really seems to win hands down (haha, puns).  The problem in this debate is that there are just too many factors.  How does the person handwash?  Did they get their dishwasher used?  Do they pre-rinse or is the dishwasher effective in cleaning things without that?  

#9 of 12 Old 02-14-2014, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieliausmama View Post

Dishwashers also use electricity, not just water. So it seems, that hand washing wins.

Unless you only use solar hot water, hand washing in hot water requires some electricity as well.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#10 of 12 Old 02-14-2014, 02:20 PM

Wouldn't let me delete my comment.  Didn't get the whole thing to my e-mail and didn't respond to what I thought I was lol.  Ignore this :P

#11 of 12 Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I suspect that the dishwasher uses less water but more energy.

We are planning to get a dishwasher, actually. We've never had one. We eliminated disposable kitchen items awhile ago, and now there are so many dishes to wash every day - a trade-off.

#12 of 12 Old 04-03-2014, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Lots of links to articles about the eco-friendliness of new dishwashers used correctly, and discussion with my brother the home energy auditor, in this article:

http://articles.earthlingshandbook.org/2011/02/02/my-new-dishwasher-vs-the-environment/

It's always going to be more efficient to wash a large number of dishes at once than a small number, because of the water wasted getting hot water from the water heater to the sink/dishwasher--having done that, the more dishes you wash, the better!

The manufacturing of the dishwasher does have an impact, of course, but if it's then used consistently for 10-20 years, the impact per use is pretty small.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Tags
Reduce Reuse Recycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page