Diaper wipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I've read conflicting things on whether or not diaper wipes are compostable. I have a bunch of Earth's Best, Babyganics, Seventh Gen. from my shower. I'm doing cloth diapers but not cloth wipes.

A few packs of non natural wipes that I received say that they are flushable, which is probably better than throwing them away. If I can't compost can I flush ones that don't have "flushable" on the package? i don't want to just throw the wipes in the garbage if I don't have to especially since at the moment it takes us a couple weeks to go through our under the sink garbage since we attempt to compost/recycle everything we can. 

#2 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Definitely don't flush anything that does not specifically say that it's "flushable"! This wreaks havoc on your septic system OR on the water treatment system in your area. As far as less waste, cloth wipes are probably the best way to go.

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#3 of 5 Old 07-22-2013, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wouldn't flush ANY wipes, regardless of whether they claim to be flushable! I learned the hard way that "flushable" to some companies means you can get it down the super-powered toilet in their corporate office building, and they're not around for the time the plumber has to come open up the pipes months later b/c they're jammed up with "flushables." I am now the proud owner of my own toilet snake and I know how to use it!

And yeah, if you're going to be washing cloth diapers anyway, might as well use cloth wipes, too. I keep a water bottle in my car all the time (for drinking too) and just use that to wet a baby washcloth or scrap material to wipe during changes in the car. It's really no harder than disposables.

#4 of 5 Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just wash the disposable wipes with the diapers. They turn out fine. Haven't quite figured out what to do with them next. Maybe use as stuffing?
#5 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 PM

I wash and reuse disposable diaper wipes. Mainly use them for wiping up spills and grimy cleaning jobs until they fall apart.

Tags
Reduce Reuse Recycle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page