Postpartum Mommy Cloths? Help Please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I guess this is the best place to post this?)

I recently learned about mommy cloth, and my first response was not eww, but hummm I'll have to look into that more. Well tonight I have been...just when I decided this is for me it hit me next time I need something like that it will be Postpartum. This is my first pregnancy so I really don't know what to expect. But I know there have been times during normal flows disposable products irritate me, I don't even want to think about how miserable I'd be using them for weeks and weeks on end.

So please lay all your mommy cloth wisdom on me please.

I'd found some older post where people had said something about GEMcloth. Other ones I'd looked at are Charlie Banana because those are one of the brands of diapers I'm going to try. But I haven't found any info about them being able to take on PP needs. I started browsing etsy too. Also took a glance at patterns and this one kind of intimidated me because of how it talks about gushing http://www.mammacandoit.com/Postpartum-Pad-Pattern.html the image that came to my min was sitting at the in-laws then I get up to realize I need a change of pants. Lol

I a nut shell just don't want to buy something that isn't going to get the job done. I want to know what ever I choose I can trust.

Thanks in advance :)

Jocelyn caffix.gif, totally in love with my hubby and best friend! nak.gifSAH Mama to one smiley baby girl 10/11/13 Artist/Writer/Farm Manager  familybed1.gif  saynovax.gif
#2 of 7 Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'm sure others will be along to help you with this. I didn't have too much luck with cloth pads, but others speak very highly of them!

#3 of 7 Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I love cloth for my periods, but haven't really been able to use them during the pp bleeding.  I tend to bleed for six weeks or so.  With my last baby, I did alternate cloth with disposable after a few weeks, just because the paper/plastic really bugs me and sometimes I need a break from it.

I use gladrags.

#4 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

There really are a lot to choose from. I'm thinking about starting with these http://hyenacart.com/PamperedMama/mt/2437/34256/Postpartum-Ice-Pad-SetSpecial-Order My mother who had five kids thinks the ice packs are a very good idea, but she has never used cloth pads so that's where her wisdom ended this time.

One thing I'm wondering about is how meany I should have in my stash, not just for Postpartum but the rest of the year too. I understand we are all different but I'd like an idea of where to start? I wish more makers offered starter packs...

Looking into gladrags now :thumb

Jocelyn caffix.gif, totally in love with my hubby and best friend! nak.gifSAH Mama to one smiley baby girl 10/11/13 Artist/Writer/Farm Manager  familybed1.gif  saynovax.gif
#5 of 7 Old 09-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For the heavy flow post-partum, I tucked a cloth prefold diaper into my underwear on top of my thickest cloth pads.  Just for the first few days.  Then the maxi-pads worked.  I'd been using cloth pads for years for my periods though, so the brands/styles available now are different. I own 20-30 pads in various thicknesses, but I have a 8-10 day period, so others may need fewer.

#6 of 7 Old 09-06-2013, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

I think for my normal monthly I'll be able to get by with a little less then that...if it's like it was before my pregnancy anyways.

I also found a store on etsy that really appealed to me http://www.etsy.com/shop/MotherMoonPads

DH gave me a crazy look when I told him I wanted some. He said "that is one thing I'm not washing!" Lol

#7 of 7 Old 04-03-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My current favorite cloth pads are New Moon and Mimi's Dreams.

I used ONLY cloth postpartum after my first birth, so I am planning to do the same this time but will also have a pack of disposable pads in reserve just in case I change my mind or get backlogged on laundry.

Immediately after the birth, my midwife fixed me up with the hospital's washcloths stuffed into those weird mesh pants.  They worked fine--and I was able to just drop them in the Soiled Linens bin and not worry about washing--but they were slightly scratchy.  I was more comfortable with my pads.  Another option I've heard for immediately postpartum is using flat cloth diapers (prefolds).

My experience was that postpartum flow after the first 2 hours was no more than a heavy period.  After the first 3 days it became more intermittent.  At times when it got heavy again, this was a sign that I was walking too fast, lifting too much, getting way too little sleep, or otherwise exerting myself--and I could slow the flow almost immediately by taking a rest.

I recommend getting at least 6-8 pads that are at least 10 inches long and have a leak-resistant backing such as polyfleece, nylon, or PUL.  Designs that are wider at the back work especially well.  Designs that let you add extra layers are great for heavy flow.  Try a couple of different brands or styles so you can find out what you like.  Measure your favorite disposable pads and buy another 4-6 that are about that size; you may or may not want leak-resistant backing on these, depending on how much trouble with leaks you normally have.

Personally, I don't use any pads that have a synthetic layer on top next to my skin.  I'm especially concerned about microfibers.  They haven't been safety-tested for contact with the very thin, sensitive skin of private parts.  Most of the cotton and/or hemp pads I've used have been pretty good at drawing moisture down into the pad so that a wet feeling isn't a problem.

My partner, his mom, and even my brother all have been willing to wash my pads along with the laundry when the pads are rinsed and in a zippered mesh bag so they don't have to handle them directly.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Tags
Reduce Reuse Recycle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page