What can I use for takeaway pizza instead of the cardboard box? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-06-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We visit a farmer's market every Sunday, and there is a stand there that makes really, really yummy pizza in a brick oven.  They don't provide takeaway boxes, everyone just eats there at the market.  This would be fine, but I try to get there as soon as they open because some of my favorite things sell out fast, and I'm not ready to nosh on pizza at 9am.  

Anything that traps the steam (like a glass container) would make the crust soggy.  I found this http://www.goodnewsreuse.com/the-pi-pan.html but I don't think they are being sold (the last post on their blog is from 2011).  

Any ideas?  I can't be the only person who wants a reusable, non-plastic container to bring home pizza!

#2 of 4 Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

I hear ya. I've trie to come up with alternatives myself but nothing has worked well. So we usually either eat it at the restauarant or make our own. I know that doesn't help much but I hope someone posts with a good solution. :)

#3 of 4 Old 10-10-2013, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Can you talk to them about ordering an unbaked pizza?  Then you can have it cooked at home.  Most food containers focus on being air tight, so typical containers would make it soggy for sure.  I'd just use cardboard box.   You know it can be composted, right?  At least that's what our city told us.  All soiled paper products can go into the compost bin.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#4 of 4 Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have some oilcloth lunch wrappers that stand up to grease pretty well. Maybe line a sturdy cardboard pizza box with that and just rinse off the liner and re-use the box?

Tags
Reduce Reuse Recycle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page