What do you do with stained outgrown kids clothing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-26-2014, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

DD is hard on her clothes, and then tend to end up stained or have holes by the time she outgrows them since we buy mostly used already. I've been sticking them in a bag {the "rag bag" } for a while, but I'd like to re-use them into something else. Most are knits - t-shirts, dresses, knit pants, etc. She is just now outgrowing a size 6 girls. I've tried giving them away on craigslist in the past with no success - nobody wants stained kids clothing, even if it's free.

My worn out knit items I turn into t-shirt yarn to make rugs with, but most of her things are much smaller so I am not sure if turning into t-shirt yarn would be the best way to re-use them.

I've considered using the good fabric parts to make a patchwork blanket, but we don't really need another blanket, KWIM? I'm trying to make only things that either are useful & we need, or saleable, in an attempt to declutter.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#2 of 16 Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Some charity shops around here will take unwearable clothes and sell them in large bags, to mechanics etc, for rags.

If you make pillows or soft toys maybe they could be cut up for stuffing.

Other than that, I'd probably just throw them out.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 16 Old 02-26-2014, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've used 'rag bag' clothes stuffed into old tights with dryer lint for draft dodgers, but we live in an old house so we might need more of those than average.
DD1 turns the design part of worn out Tshirts into tote bags; those could be sold if you don't need any.
#4 of 16 Old 02-26-2014, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the quilt is a great idea. Are you worried it won't sell because the clothes are too worn?

What about making loops so your dd can make potholders on one of those loom things?
#5 of 16 Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post

I've used 'rag bag' clothes stuffed into old tights with dryer lint for draft dodgers, but we live in an old house so we might need more of those than average.
DD1 turns the design part of worn out Tshirts into tote bags; those could be sold if you don't need any.

I like the draft dodgers idea - I've been saving smaller scraps from my sewing to make them for our windows. While our home is only 40 years old, it has the original single pane windows & they are quite drafty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Some charity shops around here will take unwearable clothes and sell them in large bags, to mechanics etc, for rags.

If you make pillows or soft toys maybe they could be cut up for stuffing.

Other than that, I'd probably just throw them out.

I don't want to throw them out if I can help it. Most of the local thrifts here would put these on the sales floor, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherFamily View Post

I think the quilt is a great idea. Are you worried it won't sell because the clothes are too worn?

What about making loops so your dd can make potholders on one of those loom things?

Honestly, I hadn't thought of making a quilt for resale. Most of the clothing is only worn in a few places {hems, the bum area, or stains on the chest area} and the rest of the fabric would be okay for making a quilt. I'm not sure where I would sell it though - I do sell on ebay but I don't think it would do well there. I suppose I could make a couple quilts & t-shirt yarn rugs, then maybe advertise on one of the local FB groups or craigslist. I was hoping to make something we could use ourselves though.

We don't have a loom thing, and I don't think dd has the dexterity to use one right now {she has fine motor skills issues}.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#6 of 16 Old 02-27-2014, 12:39 AM

Knitted dishcloths or cleaning cloths? Would that work with t-shirt material?

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 16 Old 02-27-2014, 01:15 AM

If things are stained but still have their structural integrity we will tie-dye them (or just plain old dye them).  Then I put it aside for DS1 to practice his sewing/costuming (he's 4yo, so it involves a darning needle, lots of buttons and a million scraps of various sizes/colors/textures).  Then, when he isn't looking, I take old forgotten projects and salvage the buttons and other notions he's used for future "costumes" and mete out the rest of the fabric to the rag bin, the trash (if it has glue or something on it), or back in the scrap bin.  If things are too ratty or worn to hold up to costuming or even being used as a rag, we have clothing and shoe recycling centers in our town.  They take holey and stained fabrics of all sorts and turn them into insoles for shoes and carpet padding and all sorts of stuff!  Here is the company that collects in my area:  http://www.gemtextrecycling.com/

#8 of 16 Old 03-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'd donate them. They have another functional life overseas. 

#9 of 16 Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You could use a non-dirty-non-worn bit of fabric from one piece of clothing to make an applique for the stained chest area of another T-shirt or dress. But then, if your DD's your only and she's outgrown them, maybe there's not much point... unless you wanted to sell them. I do find it handy to have knit scraps of various colours for neckline finishing, applique, pockets and so on. Could you cut out the good bits for your sewing stash and toss the rest? 

Knit scraps can make cute fabric flowers, too, for headbands, skirt and T-shirt embellishments, braided knit-fabric bracelets and so on. Might be good for a kids'-birthday-party stash. Or you could make bibs for baby gifts?

Mama505 likes this.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#10 of 16 Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ours get used for multiple things

-cleaning bikes and engines and then get tossed

-torn into strips for tomato plants and such in the garden.  They then get tossed or simply rot out.

-clean ups that involve broken glass and food. Sadly, we need this more than I'd like!  They also end up getting tossed covered in glass slivers and food.

-Every so often someone will work on a woven rug.  Never really gets too far.  After a while I scrounge the pieces for the garden.

So while they do end up in a landfill, they are used first.  Socks, underwear, pjs and soft t-shirts are awesome for cleaning bike chains.  

In second grade the kids need to make a quilt and they use scraps from their favorite items found in the rag bin for this.  I like seeing favorite old pjs, a bit of a well worn t-shirt in the quilt, even if it is just a small section.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#11 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Soft cotton knit clothes make great cloth wipes!  Just cut into rectangles.  They don't need to be hemmed as the edges won't ravel much.  Your daughter might like to have some made from her favorite fabrics as handkerchiefs--my son stopped being sad about his favorite tie-dyed shirts wearing out when I turned them into cool tie-dyed hankies for him!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#12 of 16 Old 06-26-2014, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have several kids, so most of the time they get to be play clothes. I don't really throw any of the clothes out. They get used for cleaning (and re-washed). Socks are GREAT for cleaning. I just turn them inside out and leave them in the sock form...we slip them on our hands as "sock gloves"....they are a staple in our house! We also use them to clean the white board. And sometimes we even use them as extra layers during the winter snow play times. If something has a cute pic on front or something like that, then I like to re-use it. I made one of my sons a Christmas stocking out of my old sweat pants and one of his baby shirts. The pants that are holey in the knees, get cut off for shorts once they are TOO far gone (but honestly we don't mind the tattered look that much..as long as it isn't revealing). A lot of things that have holes in the seams or pockets get repaired. I have also made several cute jean skirts out of pants that were past repair. With jeans (at least adult size), I cut up the denim and made cute cut and tie rugs for the laundry room. With the pockets of jeans, I made a cute hanging organizer. I have also used old clothing as filler in pillows and such. And if all else fails, then they go in a dresser in my work room for a later project. And if they are completely worthless to my family, then a lot of our local thrift stores take donations of worn out clothes in which they donate to the Victory Mission which has a textile shredder, in which the textile shreds are then sold and the profits go to help the local homeless.
So for us it is VERY rare that clothing gets thrown out!
#13 of 16 Old 07-05-2014, 12:50 AM

Hi mommys I really need clothes for my babies. I wonder if anyone could help me
#14 of 16 Old 07-08-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Have you tried local helps ministries such as Goodwill? A lot of places will help qualifying families. If not then thrift stores and garage sales are a good way to find cheap clothes. Or have you made your need known to your family and friends? Perhaps make a wanted listing on craigslist or if you have a local garage sale site (might even have one on fb)....or check your local freecycle. A lot of people have clothes they don't want, and ,any people will willingly donate to someone in need. Hope you get what you need!
#15 of 16 Old 07-16-2014, 09:10 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Honestly, I hadn't thought of making a quilt for resale. Most of the clothing is only worn in a few places {hems, the bum area, or stains on the chest area} and the rest of the fabric would be okay for making a quilt. I'm not sure where I would sell it though - I do sell on ebay but I don't think it would do well there. I suppose I could make a couple quilts & t-shirt yarn rugs, then maybe advertise on one of the local FB groups or craigslist. I was hoping to make something we could use ourselves though.

Perhaps look into selling on Etsy - as simple to set up as Ebay, and better for handmade crafts and such.

ETA: no clue why that quote didn't look like a quote - I was suggesting this to Frugalmama.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#16 of 16 Old 08-06-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I live in a very rural poor area...When I have clothes that can't resell, go to a local family I give to I post them for free on a children's resale site for the county I live in on Facebook...A lot of these clothes that I can't do anything with a parent takes that don't care as long as it is clean and fits..They go fast...

Tags
Reduce Reuse Recycle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page