Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Reuse & Recycle (http://www.mothering.com/forum/445-reuse-recycle/)
-   -   recommendations for reusable cloth pads (http://www.mothering.com/forum/445-reuse-recycle/1398944-recommendations-reusable-cloth-pads.html)

lonicera 03-13-2014 02:12 PM

I'm wondering what other people use and really like.  I've used "Lunapads" for years, and am needing to replace the original ones I got.  I'm glad not to use disposables, but I've never really loved the reusables I have.  Priorities are... cost (most are so darn expensive, and I don't sew) comfort (the ones I have annoy me to no end; just another reason to hate this week every month) and absorption ability (again, the ones I have aren't so hot, and I am a bit paranoid in public.)

Thanks!

Cellis27 03-14-2014 12:22 PM

Following as I make my first jump into reusable pads!

KatelynRose 03-17-2014 06:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh man, I'd love to hear recommendations for this as well.. Or perhaps I can find a pattern for these / instructions to make them myself online? I've been really hating on my disposables lately and I know they're toxic and trashy so I'd love to switch to reusables..

sillygrl 03-28-2014 04:37 PM

Following! I had a stash that I bought off etsy forever ago and they got lost in the move, lol. I'm so broke, I just bought one of those 18 packs of cheap washcloths and fold them, but want something pretty...

CLplus1 03-28-2014 08:55 PM

I made mine out of old t-shirts. There are tons of patterns and tutorials. I decided to just wing it and mine turned out ok, which is saying a lot considering I barely know how to use a sewing machine.

HappyHappyMommy 03-28-2014 11:15 PM

I love my reusables! I tried several different brands (including Isme Visa, Lunapads, and New Moon) and my favorites are Gladrags, especially these and these. I have never had an issue with absorption with these and found them very comfortable.

CLplus1 03-29-2014 02:10 PM

The only brand I bought was Fuzzibunz cloth pads. They sell them on kellyscloset. They have fleece so they keep you feeling dry, and don't seem to stain easily. However, I only used mine when my water broke (and boy do they hold a lot!), and for the really light postpartum bleeding (this might be why I didn't experience stains).

EnviroBecca 04-03-2014 12:42 PM

My favorites are Mimi's Dreams and New Moon.

OrmEmbar 04-03-2014 01:00 PM

subbing

Haven't started pp cycles yet, but I am missing using cloth.  I used cheap wash cloths and occasionally I would sew flannel to one side to make them more cozy.  I liked how easy they were to wash and dry, but it would be nice to have something pretty if I had a little money to spend.

CLplus1 04-04-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post

subbing

Haven't started pp cycles yet, but I am missing using cloth.  I used cheap wash cloths and occasionally I would sew flannel to one side to make them more cozy.  I liked how easy they were to wash and dry, but it would be nice to have something pretty if I had a little money to spend.

Do you do anything special to make them stay in your undies?

OrmEmbar 04-04-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLplus1 View Post

Do you do anything special to make them stay in your undies?

No!  The cloth has enough friction to stay in place.  Actually, my cloth pads shifted less than disposables and didn't leak.  Totally opposite of what I expected.  I had to work on getting the right width to fit my body and underwear.  If I was particularly concerned, and it was warmer weather, I would wear bike shorts or leggings under a dress/skirt.  Absolutely no chance of a pad falling down a pant leg with fitted stretchy pants.  There was less shifting on my heavier flow days.  The only times I've had a pad shift was when I was having a very light day and riding my bike with loose clothing.

: )

newmamalizzy 04-04-2014 02:35 PM

Hmm. I've never had an issue with shifting while wearing but I have had an issue with the pad falling right out of my unders when I pull them down. One time it fell right into the toilet.... I usually use Gladrags too, btw, and those have snaps. It's just an issue when I run out and use alternatives.

Catholic Mama 04-05-2014 05:45 AM

The last time I had a pad fall into the toilet when I moved my underwear down was when I had one of those very long hospital postpartum pads on. When I tried wearing washcloths instead of pantiliners, I fastened them to my underwear with safety pins, which made small holes in my underwear but it worked.