recommendations for reusable cloth pads - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-13-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering what other people use and really like.  I've used "Lunapads" for years, and am needing to replace the original ones I got.  I'm glad not to use disposables, but I've never really loved the reusables I have.  Priorities are... cost (most are so darn expensive, and I don't sew) comfort (the ones I have annoy me to no end; just another reason to hate this week every month) and absorption ability (again, the ones I have aren't so hot, and I am a bit paranoid in public.)

Thanks!

HappyHappyMommy likes this.
#2 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 11:22 AM

Following as I make my first jump into reusable pads!
#3 of 13 Old 03-17-2014, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Oh man, I'd love to hear recommendations for this as well.. Or perhaps I can find a pattern for these / instructions to make them myself online? I've been really hating on my disposables lately and I know they're toxic and trashy so I'd love to switch to reusables..

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#4 of 13 Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM

Following! I had a stash that I bought off etsy forever ago and they got lost in the move, lol. I'm so broke, I just bought one of those 18 packs of cheap washcloths and fold them, but want something pretty...

#5 of 13 Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 PM

I made mine out of old t-shirts. There are tons of patterns and tutorials. I decided to just wing it and mine turned out ok, which is saying a lot considering I barely know how to use a sewing machine.

#6 of 13 Old 03-28-2014, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I love my reusables! I tried several different brands (including Isme Visa, Lunapads, and New Moon) and my favorites are Gladrags, especially these and these. I have never had an issue with absorption with these and found them very comfortable.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#7 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 01:10 PM

The only brand I bought was Fuzzibunz cloth pads. They sell them on kellyscloset. They have fleece so they keep you feeling dry, and don't seem to stain easily. However, I only used mine when my water broke (and boy do they hold a lot!), and for the really light postpartum bleeding (this might be why I didn't experience stains).

#8 of 13 Old 04-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

My favorites are Mimi's Dreams and New Moon.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#9 of 13 Old 04-03-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

subbing

Haven't started pp cycles yet, but I am missing using cloth.  I used cheap wash cloths and occasionally I would sew flannel to one side to make them more cozy.  I liked how easy they were to wash and dry, but it would be nice to have something pretty if I had a little money to spend.

#10 of 13 Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post

subbing

Haven't started pp cycles yet, but I am missing using cloth.  I used cheap wash cloths and occasionally I would sew flannel to one side to make them more cozy.  I liked how easy they were to wash and dry, but it would be nice to have something pretty if I had a little money to spend.

Do you do anything special to make them stay in your undies?

#11 of 13 Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLplus1 View Post

Do you do anything special to make them stay in your undies?

No!  The cloth has enough friction to stay in place.  Actually, my cloth pads shifted less than disposables and didn't leak.  Totally opposite of what I expected.  I had to work on getting the right width to fit my body and underwear.  If I was particularly concerned, and it was warmer weather, I would wear bike shorts or leggings under a dress/skirt.  Absolutely no chance of a pad falling down a pant leg with fitted stretchy pants.  There was less shifting on my heavier flow days.  The only times I've had a pad shift was when I was having a very light day and riding my bike with loose clothing.

: )

#12 of 13 Old 04-04-2014, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Hmm. I've never had an issue with shifting while wearing but I have had an issue with the pad falling right out of my unders when I pull them down. One time it fell right into the toilet.... I usually use Gladrags too, btw, and those have snaps. It's just an issue when I run out and use alternatives.
#13 of 13 Old 04-05-2014, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The last time I had a pad fall into the toilet when I moved my underwear down was when I had one of those very long hospital postpartum pads on. When I tried wearing washcloths instead of pantiliners, I fastened them to my underwear with safety pins, which made small holes in my underwear but it worked.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Tags
Reduce Reuse Recycle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page